More Survival Tools + Modded MShock Tileset [Merged]

Been playing with this mod during this past week, really loving it mate :slight_smile:

The mess tin is great, especially in conjunction with an integrated toolset

the hobo stove is a solid early game solution. incase there’s still debate about it in relation to a hotplate- just ask yourself the classic ‘what would you take to a secluded island / end of the world’ situation…
[sup]If you picked the battery-powered device you must be some form of chemistry wizard eager to prove the true power of citrus fruits >_> [size=8px]Good luck with that.[/size][/sup]
tl;dr. hobo stove is the smaller, simpler and the more practical solution.

the nomad, well. I’ve not tried playing with him
But seeing as you’ve already renamed him to wanderer to avoid the temptation- Why not indulge it at the same time? by re-introducing the more costly nomad beside the wanderer? :slight_smile:
It’s been a while since your last post however so i’m unsure if this is relevant.

Just saying cheers on yer good work and giving some random bits o’ feedback

Also whopps, seems I forgot to change the title back after the latest merge. ^^"

And I’ve still unsure about the hobo stove, yes. I should play around with it further to see if it hits me with any balancing ideas. Seems I’m far too prone towards just dropping tinder on the ground and lighting it.

Also, that nomad idea is still tempting. =w=

Also also, I’ll likely need to add a tileset update soon, since I now have a few more items introduced that haven’t been sprited, I found one zombie still without a sprite (grappler zombie), plus the M240 and M60 don’t have unique sprites yet.

seems to reflect how it works irl, whilst having a small ‘charge’ it is a distinctively practical solution

i’ve mainly used it as a brazier to cook indoors, which is plenty.
one may think being able to either use from the inventory or place it down ( via construction menu ) might be a fun feature :wink:
[sup][sup]perhaps bumping up the ‘storage volume’ of tinder when it’s on the ground (storing it safely nearby the stove to be refilled as you work)[/sup][/sup]

the nomad, imo- [size=8pt]unless there’s caps on the amount of profession a mod may add in one way or another- [/size] well, some starts are stronger than others yet everything has it’s cost. pump it up to black-belt level for the ability to express yer creative side bruh. it matters not :slight_smile:

If i may ask tho, why so are many of the items defined as ammo?
[sup][sup]i’d guess either batteries had their own set of code Or automatic reload of the hobo stove is/was a planned feature[/sup][/sup]

I originally wanted to make the hobo stove a deployable like the brazier, though that seems to involve hardcoded behavior.

Other than that, reducing capacity has been discussed, though I went with Coolthuhlu’s suggestion that it only made the tool more awkward to use without balancing it. Volume and weight tweaks were done, though toned down some.

Also, so many ammo items? Hmm? o.O

If you mean the sheer number of options to craft tinder out of, it’s due to the fact that I can’t really fuel the hobo stove and ember carrier with any available flammable item, so I had to give it a discrete ammo item to use.

i meant… {
“type” : “AMMO”,
“id” : “tinder”,
“category” : “other”,
“price” : 0,
“name” : “tinder”,
“name_plural” : “tinder”,
“symbol” : “=”,
“color” : “brown”,
“description” : “Flammable material, finely divided for easy combustion.”,
“material” : “wood”,
“volume” : 1,
“weight” : 10,
“bashing” : 1,
“cutting” : 0,
“to_hit” : 0,
“ammo_type” : “tinder”,
“casing” : “NULL”,
“damage” : 0,
“pierce” : 0,
“range” : 0,
“dispersion” : 0,
“recoil” : 0,
“count” : 50,
“effects” : [“NEVER_MISFIRES”]
},

At first i’ve noticed the stacking ingame, Which later fascinated my imagination >.>

Oh, you mean how much a stack of tinder yields? Same reason I bumped hexamine’s stack up to 50. <.<

Love this mod (and the new mainline) with a passion. However, one thing that would be a welcome addition would be wattle-and-daub walls and housing. It feels weird to go straight from a survival shelter to a wood cabin, especially when it can take a little while to grind up the construction ability high enough to build log walls. Wattle and daub housing, made with heavy sticks and clay and some water, would be a nice medium between survival shelter and wood cabin. Plus the use of heavy sticks and pine boughs (maybe tanbark as well, which I have also seen being used in videos) for roofing would make a nice little permanent-but-improvable shelter.

Of course, dried mud and sticks aren’t going to be able to stand up to much punishment from zombies :wink:

Ah, would be an interesting addition, one that I might have to muck about with. Though I do wonder how well adobe walls would hold up to New England weather. owo

EDIT: It seems that wattle and daub has a distribution range father north than adobe, which bodes well.

EDIT 2: Also on the to-do list, the buffed fire nastiness has made a fire ring suddely a worthwhile addition.

EDIT 3: Got a basic idea for it statted up, I need input before and/or during any PR adding it.

Future Construction Additions:

},{
    "type" : "construction",
    "skill" : "survival",
    "description" : "Build Wattle-and-Daub Wall", "//": "Step 1: half of a wall in an empty space",
    "category" : "CONSTRUCT",
    "difficulty" : 3,
    "time" : 50,
    "qualities": [
        { "id": "CUT", "level": 1 },
        { "id": "HAMMER", "level": 1 }
    ],
    "components" : [
        [ [ "2x4", 5 ], [ "stick", 10 ]  ],
        [ [ "material_quicklime", 5 ], [ "material_limestone", 5 ], [ "clay_lump", 5 ] ],
        [ [ "pebble", 10 ], [ "material_sand", 10 ] ],
        [ [ "straw_pile", 5 ], [ "cattail_stalk", 5 ], [ "dogbane", 5 ], [ "pine_bough", 5 ] ],
        [ [ "water", 5 ], [ "water_clean", 5 ] ]
    ],
    "pre_special" : "check_empty",
    "post_terrain" : "t_wall_wattle_half"
},{
    "description" : "Build Wattle-and-Daub Wall", "//": "Step 2: complete the half made wall",
    "difficulty" : 3,
    "time" : 50,
    ],
        [ [ "2x4", 5 ], [ "stick", 10 ]  ],
        [ [ "material_quicklime", 5 ], [ "material_limestone", 5 ], [ "clay_lump", 5 ] ],
        [ [ "pebble", 10 ], [ "material_sand", 10 ] ],
        [ [ "straw_pile", 5 ], [ "cattail_stalk", 5 ], [ "dogbane", 5 ], [ "pine_bough", 5 ] ],
        [ [ "water", 5 ], [ "water_clean", 5 ] ]
    ],
    "pre_terrain" : "t_wall_wattle_half",
    "post_terrain" : "t_wall_wattle"
},{
    "description" : "Build Thatched Roof",
    "difficulty" : 4,
    "time" : 120,
        { "id": "CUT", "level": 1 }
    ],
        [ [ "2x4", 5 ], [ "stick", 10 ] ],
        [ [ "straw_pile", 25 ], [ "pine_bough", 25 ] ]
    ],
    "pre_special" : "check_support",
    "post_terrain" : "t_dirtfloor"
},{
    "description" : "Repair Wattle-and-Daub Wall",
    "category" : "REPAIR",
    "difficulty" : 1,
    "time" : 30,
    ],
        [ [ "2x4", 2 ], [ "stick", 4 ]  ],
        [ [ "material_quicklime", 2 ], [ "material_limestone", 2 ], [ "clay_lump", 2 ] ],
        [ [ "pebble", 4 ], [ "material_sand", 4 ] ],
        [ [ "straw_pile", 2 ], [ "cattail_stalk", 2 ], [ "dogbane", 2 ], [ "pine_bough", 2 ] ],
        [ [ "water", 2 ], [ "water_clean", 2 ] ]
    ],
    "pre_terrain" : "t_wall_wattle_broken",
    "post_terrain" : "t_wall_wattle"
},{
    "description" : "Build Fire Ring",
    "category" : "FURN",
    "difficulty" : 1,
    "time" : 15,
        [ [ "rock", 20 ] ]
    ],
    "pre_terrain" : "t_pit_shallow",
    "post_terrain" : "f_firering"
}

Future Terrain Additions:

},{
    "type" : "terrain",
    "id" : "t_wall_wattle_half",
    "name": "half-built wattle-and-daub wall",
    "symbol": "#",
    "color": "ltred",
    "move_cost": 4,
    "flags": ["TRANSPARENT", "FLAMMABLE_HARD", "NOITEM", "REDUCE_SCENT", "MOUNTABLE"],
    "bash": {
        "str_min": 8, "str_max": 75,
        "sound": "crunch!",
        "sound_fail": "whump!",
        "ter_set": "t_null",
        "items": [
            { "item": "2x4", "amount": 3, "minamount": 0 },
            { "item": "splinter", "amount": 6, "minamount": 6 }
        ]
    }
},{
    "id" : "t_wall_wattle",
    "name": "wattle-and-daub wall",
    "move_cost": 0,
    "flags": ["FLAMMABLE_HARD", "NOITEM", "SUPPORTS_ROOF", "WALL"],
        "str_min": 10, "str_max": 140,
        "sound": "crunch!",
        "ter_set": "t_wall_wattle_broken",
            { "item": "splinter", "amount": 6, "minamount": 0 }
        ]
    }
},{
    "id" : "t_wall_wattle_broken",
    "name": "broken wattle-and-daub wall",
    "symbol": "&",
    "move_cost": 0,
    "flags": [
        "TRANSPARENT", "FLAMMABLE_HARD", "NOITEM", "SUPPORTS_ROOF", "REDUCE_SCENT", "PERMEABLE", "CONNECT_TO_WALL"
    ],
        "str_min": 4, "str_max": 110,
        "sound": "crash!",
        "ter_set": "t_null",
            { "item": "splinter", "amount": 6, "minamount": 3 }
        ]
    }
}

Future Furniture Addition:

{
    "type" : "furniture",
    "id" : "f_firering",
    "name": "fire ring",
    "bgcolor": "white",
    "move_cost_mod": 2,
    "required_str": -1,
    "flags": ["TRANSPARENT", "CONTAINER", "FIRE_CONTAINER", "SUPPRESS_SMOKE", "PLACE_ITEM"],
        "str_min": 15, "str_max": 105,
        "sound": "crash!",
            { "item": "rock", "amount": 15, "minamount": 5}
        ]
    }
}

The construction difficulty level seems a little high: 3 for something that is basically a woven fence with some clay/mud slapped on and left to dry. I have built a wattle and daub wall in the past, and it required little to no previous knowledge of construction. Plus it would defeat the purpose of it being a middle ground between log walls and survival shelter. Perhaps rather than difficulty 3, drop it to 2, or even switch the skill required to survival rather than construction. It is far more dependent on your ability to find clay, the right kind of wood, etc than any kind of construction ability. Similarly with the thatched roof, that requires a lot more skill (3 I think would be more reasonable though, so once you have your hut built you have leveled up enough skill to thatch it), requiring cords etc, but 25 pine boughs or 25 straw piles seems extremely high for a single tile of “inside”. That would require stripping several tiles worth of forest just for a small hut, though that’s more to do with the very small amount of pine boughs you get from pine trees than anything else.

It sghould already use survival as the skill. As for level, I was pondering whether to tweak it, yes.

If I recall, you need a large number of pine boughs to make an improvised shelter, though I could tone it down another 10 or so, especially since you have to build the walls to support it, unlike the improvised shelter that’s self-supporting.

EDIT: though since improvised shelter already takes survival 2, hmm…

EDIT 2: In the PR I went with toning the thatching material requirement down to 15 straw/pine, survival 2 for wattle-and-daub walls, and survival 3 for thatched roof. Sound better? <3

Just saw the new PR go up, looks great!

Ah, thank you. Had hoped it would look okay, especially since by now it’s been merged. owo

Will need to further add tileset updates eventually.

EDIT 2: Ahahahah. I fucked up the tile_config. WATTLE. NOT WADDLE.

Hi, firstly love the mod!

There’s a slight issue with the hobo stove though. Currently it functions exactly like a tinder powered hotplate, i.e. doesn’t require a fire lighter to work. For the lamp oil cooker this makes sense as they’re equipped with pilot lights, however the hobo stove is just a tin with some wood in it!

It’s not a major issue, but it does render the various fire lighting methods moot for most tasks. By using the hobo stove the player gets “free” fire as it were, and I personally think it’s a bit too low tech for that. Have you considered making the stove require setting on fire to work?

I played around with the jsons a bit, it seems quite a simple change to make (by reusing some of your code from the ember carrier):

[spoiler]

{ "id": "hobo_stove", "type": "TOOL", "symbol": ",", "color": "light_gray", "name": "hobo stove", "description": "This is a small improvised wood stove, made from a metal can or similiar container of the right size. Useful for cooking, uses simple tinder.", "price": 0, "material": "steel", "weight": 1366, "volume": 6, "bashing": 2, "cutting": 0, "to_hit": -1, "max_charges": 50, "initial_charges": 0, "charges_per_use": 1, "turns_per_charge": 0, "ammo": "tinder", "revert_to": "null", "use_action": { "type": "transform", "msg": "You light the tinder.", "target": "hobo_stove_on", "active": true, "need_fire": 1, "need_fire_msg": "You need a lighter or fire to light this." } }, { "id": "hobo_stove_on", "sub": "hotplate", "type": "TOOL", "symbol": ",", "color": "light_gray", "name": "hobo stove (lit)", "description": "This is a small improvised wood stove, made from a metal can or similiar container of the right size. Useful for cooking, uses simple tinder.", "price": 0, "material": "steel", "weight": 1366, "volume": 6, "bashing": 2, "cutting": 0, "to_hit": -1, "max_charges": 50, "initial_charges": 0, "charges_per_use": 1, "turns_per_charge": 300, "ammo": "tinder", "revert_to": "hobo_stove", "qualities": [["COOK", 1]], "use_action": [ { "type": "auto_transform", "msg": "The ember is extinguished.", "when_underwater": "The hobo stove is snuffed out.", "target": "hobo_stove", "active": false, "menu_option_text": "Extinguish" } ] }[/spoiler]

While it’s unlit you can’t cook with it. To use it as a “hotplate” you need to light in on fire first. While it’s lit it will consume tinder at twice the rate as the ember carrier.

Ah, that could be a good way to make it function differently from normal hotplates. Will have to PR that, them. o.o

EDIT: Only problem is then it consumes obscene quantities of tinder WHILE you’re cooking, which may break things.

I’m confused, it uses roughly the same amount of tinder as it did before?

There’s just a small constant drain so you can’t light it once and just leave it burning forever. You either have to keep feeding it tinder or relight it when it goes out, forcing a survivor to intelligently manage their fire starting resources.

You could try fiddling with turns_per_charge until it’s somewhere you’re happy with. It’s working pretty okay at 300 in my current game so far though, for me at least.

Hmm, guess it should work like that. Wasn’t sure how it’d affect batch crafting, though.

EDIT: Bump because PR.

Where’s the link to the download? I want to use this on 0.C Stable, please.

Meep. I should see if I can muck about with current content to render it re-compatable with 0.C. I still HAVE the oldest pre-PR versions, but they’d be missing a lot of the content that has since been added.

Even then, some of my earliest additions didn’t really work right without source tweaks and/or new features added in the experimentals. @_@

but your missing so many shiny additions that the experimental versions have :stuck_out_tongue:

Ja, so much deliciousness.

I could see about putting together an “edited for stable” version, but it’d be a clusterfuck no doubt.