More Survival Tools + Modded MShock Tileset [Merged]

Love this mod to :slight_smile:

I know we have talked about this already but I would truly love a 32x tile size :slight_smile:

I should plot an attempt at it sometime, but for now just an update to the current tileset is in the works. About to PR it.

EDIT: PR’d, link is in the first post.

EDIT 2: And only a few hours later, is merged. Yaaay. owo

Having a tough time surviving starting with absolutely nothing. One of the things that is hard is getting straw for even a basic straw basket to carry more than 2 things at once. Could it be possible to maybe harvest grass or other plant in order to get straw?
Also wondering why things like cans and bowls say 1 containing quality but when i go to make broth or water it wont let me put it in there?

Any chance of giving trapping some love, maybe the ability to place foods on traps to lure animals?

I know its easy to get most things from zombies and houses to make containers and backpacks, but for wilderness survival its fun to try it only using native sources. Quite satisfying when you have a basic camp set up simply from foraging things found in shrubs and trees.

I could possibly mod in some way to gather grass to turn it into straw, which might prove useful.

Other than that, no sure what traps to implement that don’t already exist. We have snares already, for one.

The traps we have are good, the problem is getting the animals into them. Baits that increase the chance they will come close to a trap and set it off would be great.

Ah, right. I know you can bait fish traps, but unsure if that can be adapted to animal traps.

And now that series 6 is in-progress, a dumb question. Nomad class. Nomad gear. Should I, or not?

If I did so I logically should replace the backpack in addition to removing the cloak and loincloth. This would bump protection up by 5 and 5, boost coverage by 30, and double carrying capacity. The only downsides would be 20 less warmth and 2 less environmental protection, as the encumbrance increase would be counteracted by the backpack no longer competing with the quiver. ;w;

Getting tinder feels a bit too easy, considering that with 1 skill in fabrication and the right survival recipie, you can essentially replace a hotplate and 50 batteries with 2 cans a stone knife and a rag.

Nerfing the hobo stove in Series 6, mainly via moar volume. owo

I don’t know what hobo stove currently has for volume but isn’t it just two tin cans stacked up? Seems unreasonable for it to have any volume except 2.

Also, why do I need a freaking book to teach me how to make a hobo stove? Isn’t it just two tin cans stacked up with some hole spacing? Maybe recipes need three levels of knowledge: Unknown, can be tried with greater failure chance without knowing, known.

Soup cans, yeah. But the ideal can for a real-life hobo stove would be a coffee can, which is quite a bit larger.

As for learning it, it should be set to autolearn in addition to booklearn. SOME skill would be needed to understand the basic concept of applying convection, but the current amount might be a bit much.

In any case, you can blame Coolthulhu for the volume suggestions. owo

Hmm. Maybe update it to use two pots and have a volume of 6 then for a full-size hobo stove with equivalent cooking capabilities as a pot. Perhaps make the two soup can version smaller with worse cooking stats and remain volume 2?

I like it as a portable hotplate that I can use indoors to cook meat and boil water.

Two pots, which each have a volume of 8? >w>

Ah, crap. Was thinking pots were 4. I was going for 1.5x one pot. Yeah, then, two pots at volume 12 for a big hobo stove. Hotplate is what, 10? Makes sense - hacked together equivalent is +2 volume over real item. Look at makeshift vs. crowbar.

Hotplate is 5 volume and has no cooking qualities, frying pan is 4 and has cooking qualities inferior to a pot, while mess kit is 4 and can both be a hotplate and give

As is stands, my plan was bumping the stove’s volume up to 8 and give tinder some volume. It works for cooking if you have nothing else, but isn’t as convenient as other in-game cooking methods.

Oh, I was thinking mess kit, not hotplate. Bleh. I do not know items as well as I wish!

Sounds like a fair balance, tinder having volume.

Mess kit is definitely a lovely little thing, since it has cooking qualities too. owo

I would like to add a “mess tin” item that has useful qualities but no cooking function, but going any lower than what the frying pan gives would be inferior to simply carrying a skewer and empty tin can.

This mod quickly became one I use every time. There’s some really useful stuff in here, and wilderness survival needed this kind of love.

As for the nomad class getting nomad gear, I’d say no. It’s a great set by itself that would require at least point increase to justify.

Ack. Hmm, will have to either undo that in Series 6, or bump up that point cost. You’re the only person so far that’s weighed in on that question. >w>

EDIT: Went ahead and simply changed the nomad’s loadout back to normal and renamed them wanderer to curtail this temptation.

Der Bumpening. owo