"Your Breathing Stops Completely" ... Then Death

Anyone else have this happen to them before? I have NEVER seen this one before. My character was in good health, well fed, well hydrated, as far as I know undiseased, etcetera. WTF was that?

1 Like

Used any adrenaline? Too much drugs and/or painkillers? Combination of those three?

1 Like

Sounds like painkillers OD.

1 Like

It is indeed painkillers OD.

1 Like

protip, painkillers don’t kick in all at once, so if you have 50 pain then don’t take a painkiller every round to try and get it to 0. this is why you take a little BEFORE a battle so it is in full swing when you start getting hit and can ignore a bunch of pain. but if say, you take a morphine and it drops your pain by 10 but you still have 40 left so you take another one, etc, that rapidly results in OD.

1 Like

I DID swallow 5 Codeine at once when I was at Pain 60 after stupidly walking over a minefield while I zoned out. It was a while ago, like, they definitely kicked in (or at least obliterated the pain) hours before they killed me

1 Like

maybe it’s a balance scale? as in, you stop breathing when your pain reaches a large enough NEGATIVE number, so while you had pain in your system but negated you were fine, but when the pain faded your “total pain” dipped down to the negative number needed for death.

It’s a constant number. Either 200 or 250 as far as I recall.
So basically, if you have enough painkiller to negate 250 pain, you’re dead (not yet, at the next 30 minute interval).

1 Like

This might be the result of the way that stimulants and painkillers are related. IIRC the threshold check is painkiller effect minus stimul0ant effect, so if you took both stimulants and painkillers, you’re fine until the stimulants wear off.
Suggested fix here, just hasn’t gotten prioritized.

1 Like

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:8, topic:13994”]It’s a constant number. Either 200 or 250 as far as I recall.
So basically, if you have enough painkiller to negate 250 pain, you’re dead (not yet, at the next 30 minute interval).[/quote]

Would increasing pain prevent such a thing, if that even makes sense?

1 Like

Sounds like some planned, but unimplemented feature.

} else if (stim < -200 || get_painkiller() > 240) {
        add_msg_if_player(m_bad, _("Your breathing stops completely."));
        add_memorial_log(pgettext("memorial_male", "Died of a drug overdose."),
                           pgettext("memorial_female", "Died of a drug overdose."));
        hp_cur[hp_torso] = 0;

No. It only matters how much painkiller effect you have, not how much of it actually does something.

1 Like

This time around I only swallowed the handful of codeine. I didn’t snort any cocaine (or any other stims) because I had recovered from an addiction.

RIP Dr. Chris Watkins.

1 Like

I remember I got this once after taking like 2 codeine in a row… after that, I’ve never used codeine again period. Not worth!

1 Like

That’s why I sell most medical items to npcs. I even make a nice stack of cash, which I can trade in for more useful things, like explosives… I don’t see any reason to use codeine. I use aspirin instead. Even then, what are the multiple codeines for? If you die from the painkillers, and not the actual pain, pain doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Codeine is totally safe to pop a couple of as well as a few aspirins if you’re verging on the 30s/40s. Just not more than once or twice a day, tops. Oxycodone and higher are much worse, not to mention recreational drugs (which I have never done in game 'cause I’m a rule-abiding slaughtering machine).
Remember, of course, that opiates are always worse than aspirin. The best painkiller is not taking damage at all.

1 Like

[quote=“End Transmission, post:1, topic:13994”]Anyone else have this happen to them before? I have NEVER seen this one before. My character was in good health, well fed, well hydrated, as far as I know undiseased, etcetera. WTF was that?[/quote]If you walked over a landmine while zoned out, why didn’t you just wait the pain out (sleep)? You would have been badly damaged. Painkillers only make sense in the heat of battle. And even then it’s usually too late.

1 Like

It is funny, last time I check meth was safer to your health than the medical painkillers… though that might have changed. I usually don’t use either.

1 Like

wait… if i EAT it swallows and if you USE it snorts?

the more you know

1 Like

Dude, can you please stop necroposting in threads that haven’t been touched in six months. I know they come up in the recommended topics list, but please check the date it was last updated before posting yourself, unless it’s a topic that really needs to be revived.

1 Like

I do not believe that is correct.