Unexplained Death!

So i tried out the static spawn out for the first time. i liked it alot. It changes how you go about the game altogether. So as i was playing i was doing very well on day 3 had alot of stuff on me. When all of a sudden it says game over. with the message “your breathing stops completely”… Any ideas how this was caused. also. Is there anyway to add a differant way of saving the game instead of outright hardcore as in when you die your character is gone for good. I would appreciate a way to save the and come back to where i was even after dieing??

I think drug overdose can do that to you. Were you taking a lot of drugs? Also if you want to have a non-hardcore style of save you can just copy the directory that your game is in and have a back up of it when you saved last.

Sounds like a classic painkiller overdose.
Happened to me occasionally before, until I checked it out.
Be careful with eating more than one painkiller, and keep check on just how much in pain you are!
(Oh, and aspirins in pairs are still okay, should you need it.)

EDIT: Oh, and the fact that when you’re dead, you’re REALLY dead is what’s so exciting about the game! Stop being a wuss! :smiley:

yeah npw that i remember i took about 14 pain killers hahaha might explain it

this just happened to me. I hadnt taken any painkillers in a while. I was using poppy painkillers. but today I took like 8. You need 2 to reduce pain by 2. I Was now down to 0 paina nd I just died when I was on my motorcycle. there was no way to predict when I was close.

Ehh… As far as I can tell Painkillers don’t work immediately, it takes a bit of in-game time for them to lower your pain.

you didnt read the thread. I had an unexplained death. I was riding my motorcycle. had not taken any drugs in a little while. then i died. read athe whole thread. I made a post in the bugs section.

[quote=“youtoo, post:7, topic:381”]you didnt read the thread. I had an unexplained death. I was riding my motorcycle. had not taken any drugs in a little while. then i died. read athe whole thread. I made a post in the bugs section.[/quote]Poppy painkillers might be a very latent drug, which could kill you with it’s late strong effect.
I’d like to have your character go into shock and then die rather than randomly stop breathing. I’d think shock would incur major stat and movement penalties, having you get killed by other hazards unless you are in a safe location. This would offer a threshold where not taking the explicitly fatal dose of a medication would still be harmful to you, as well as offering a transition so the death doesn’t seem random and capricious.

I’m with iceball on this train of thought. I’ve typically grabbed the weak stomach trait for a particular character setup, my guy tends to hurl stuff on the rare times he’s had too many so I was a bit surprised by the whole ‘I died without warning’ ordeal.

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:9, topic:381”]I’m with iceball on this train of thought. I’ve typically grabbed the weak stomach trait for a particular character setup, my guy tends to hurl stuff on the rare times he’s had too many so I was a bit surprised by the whole ‘I died without warning’ ordeal.[/quote]Speaking of which, have an Induce Vomitting action to allow you to rid of substances when you have taken too much of.

A new drug for that perhaps? A drug that induces vomiting as an alternative to getting stomach pumped?

[quote=“gtaguy, post:11, topic:381”]A new drug for that perhaps? A drug that induces vomiting as an alternative to getting stomach pumped?[/quote]If this is to stop from overdose/poisoning… then what happens if you overdose on it? Take more?

Your organs fall out through your mouth.

It’s too bad ipecac’s fallen out of use due to [various reasons], since that would do the job well enough.

This is the dystopian future! I’m sure doctor’s offices would keep at least a /couple/ bottles of ipecac.

This is the future, of course every doctor everywhere has every concievable drug. Also, it adds to the FUN!

And as aside note the drug system had a lot of work put into it, we best make use of it in every way possible. What side effects would there be? Moral decrease for the bad smell and the simple idea of vomiting? Maybe addictions? How about something a little more FUN?

Frankly I am surprised I don’t suffer wobbling all over my screen in the wrong direction like I’ve experienced in NetHack. I like the hallucinations in this game better though.

I’d rather see an edit made to the overdose system just so we have an idea we’re close, (instructions or that crippled, then die idea proposed earlier were good imo) before we go adding in more drug effects and drugs.

The whole point is that you don’t know when you’re getting close, if people knew that, they’d never OD.
A better death message may be called for though since there is confusion about why it’s happening.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:18, topic:381”]The whole point is that you don’t know when you’re getting close, if people knew that, they’d never OD.
A better death message may be called for though since there is confusion about why it’s happening.[/quote]

It would be fun to see messages in the final turns leading up to death detailing the symptoms of an overdose based on the type of drug taken. Wikipedia has at least one article. For instance, this article on Barbiturate overdose reads, “Symptoms of an overdose typically include sluggishness, incoordination, difficulty in thinking, slowness of speech, faulty judgment, drowsiness, shallow breathing, and staggering. In severe cases, coma and death can result.”

You feel sluggish.
You’re having difficulty thinking.
You feel drowsy.
Your breathing becomes shallow.
The room begins to spin.
You stop breathing.

[quote=“Justice, post:19, topic:381”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:18, topic:381”]The whole point is that you don’t know when you’re getting close, if people knew that, they’d never OD.
A better death message may be called for though since there is confusion about why it’s happening.[/quote]

It would be fun to see messages in the final turns leading up to death detailing the symptoms of an overdose based on the type of drug taken. Wikipedia has at least one article. For instance, this article on Barbiturate overdose reads, “Symptoms of an overdose typically include sluggishness, incoordination, difficulty in thinking, slowness of speech, faulty judgment, drowsiness, shallow breathing, and staggering. In severe cases, coma and death can result.”

You feel sluggish.
You’re having difficulty thinking.
You feel drowsy.
Your breathing becomes shallow.
The room begins to spin.
You stop breathing.[/quote]

You’re totally right, early-onset symptoms need to happen. I’ll look into making that happen.