Ultica Tileset update thread

yep:

As the demo version this includes many fallback tiles, and makes extensive use of Hoder and UndeadPeople tiles for backups.

Most of the tiles you’ve listed are fallbacks from other sets to make it playable until we finish drawing the whole thing. A few (like water) have only a single art tile, which makes them look bad in large expanses and will eventually be fixed by adding more variations so they don’t look repetitive.

I’ve got to admit I’m pretty impressed with this, it reminds me a lot of the old console graphics I grew up with. Stuff like Double Dragon and Zillions. :+1:

2 Likes

Double Dragon is a good example of what I was going for!

1 Like

Well defo a success then, the enemies in the mock up look like they have just walked out of Double Dragon to come beat people up in CDDA. :grin:

1 Like

how about a sitrep? still eager to try this out ,havent just yet.

I’ve been busy with development of the game itself lately, but barsoosayque updated a bunch of tiles a couple weeks ago. Just have to find time to make a new build

1 Like

Sounds good, thanks for the update

The release demo of UltiCa has finally been added to mainline! If you’d like to try it out, just select it from your tileset options in the latest experimental!

UltiCa is a community-driven tileset aiming for a realistic style with 8-bit inspired graphics, similar to classic games like Ultima VII. Although still missing a lot of tiles, it has now passed the threshold where I’d call it “playable”, and many of the core contributors are playing with it these days. Still, be aware, like many of the older tilesets in the repo, there are many holes in this. On the other hand, unlike the older tilesets, we’re adding scores of new tiles in an ever-encroaching effort to catch up. You too can join this effort! Check out the discord, or the #graphics-and-sound room on the official discord, or just start PRing changes at https://github.com/I-am-Erk/CDDA-Tilesets/ if you’re heckin’ confident. If you’re not comfortable with GitHub, you can post submissions in the Discord for feedback, and we’ll add them when they’re ready.

Screenshots

Non cute style!

80s inspired aesthetic!

Common field effects!

Now with far fewer fillers, but be ready for a few semicolons!

Bonus: basic winter filler art!

If you have any concerns with prominent missing art or any glitches, please log them on the discord

GET IT? LOG THEM?

What’s incomplete?

Vehicles look terrible by intention. This is my protest until we can get a better vehicle drawing engine. There are a lot of simple filler tiles that need smooth transitions and other details like that (like the badly tiled snow in the screenshot above, or the stone walls that look great but don’t have a side view). I think the most jarring issue at the moment is the lack of monster sprites, so I’ll see if I can work on that over the next couple days.

10 Likes

Damn, it looks :fire:

I do wonder what would be the easiest way to include the tileset without actually bundling, as it will bloat the file size.

1 Like

This is less bloating to the filesize than previously bundled sets have been.

Eventually we’ll probably cull all the older tilesets and move them to a new repo (it’s the end goal of my tileset repo, to house “dismantled”, reconstitutable versions of all the sets), and in my opinion, tilesets should be a separate download, possibly except for one or two official ones.

Yeah I think ASCII tileset should be de jure tileset for CDDA. Just what would be the best way to show players where they can get tilesets - a link to download page with tilesets listed?

Maybe an option in the Launcher as many people will be using it anyway.
Edit: by many I mean windows users.

2 Likes

Looks awesomely, definitely gonna try it out, thanks!

1 Like

I’m really really pleased with this release.

Vehicles remain a big blind spot, somewhat intentionally, but this is the one where I’ve finally personally passed the point of being unable to play with the tileset myself because the number of filler sprites had me immediately heading to a graphics program to do more work on it. Your personal threshold may vary (if you’re all about deathmobiles you’ll be waiting a while yet I’m afraid), and I’m sure as I get out of the initial scavenger phase I’ll start running into more placeholders and getting back into the GIMP instead of the game, but I think this marks a bit of a turning point for level of completion.

Mi-go towers

Autotiling beds and sofas

Sprites for pretty much all household furniture now, indoor and outdoor.

If you’re interested in contributing, join us on discord or just take a look at the guidelines and submit some graphics straight up over github. There are at least nine people working together on the current version, and probably a few I’ve forgotten to count… more hands will help make more impactful releases like this.

8 Likes

Oh man. I was just gonna start a vagabond run with the wayfarer trait so I wouldn’t use any vehicles so now seems like the perfect time to give this a whirl.

Been using it, I love the style, this is definitely shaping up to be my default.

Soooo…any chance the art will be getting a darker tone? After just reading that Undead melt down, we seem to be lacking a gritty tile pack. Unless I missed one that snuck in while I wasn’t looking? Anything in that directions may hap?

This tile set is really starting to intrigue me. If this gets as fleshed out as Dead people once was, this may very well be my go too from now on. This is looking good

is ultica not gritty?
Nature is beautiful irl, the cataclysm, at least before horrific fungal infestations and such would not change that

1 Like

In any case didn’t the guy say he’d continue elsewhere? The pack still works and will continue to work. Drama doesn’t mean the pack’s gone :smiley: