Traits

Tentacle stockings, etc are there if you happen to have tentacles in a cold environment.

Illiterate is bad enough. It basically removes a huge chunk of the game and makes it completely off limit, with nothing to gain in return except better starting stats. With the move of recipes to books, illiterate already blocks off crafting good recipes, along with all usage of computers.

Recently, illiterate wasn’t truly hardcore. You could learn new recipes without reading (by raising certain skills) and don’t have any problems with computers too. Since computers are mostly have no use but to open certain door, you can use any explosive to break into any closed room without using computers. Even in current version inability to learn new recipes doesn’t make game impossible as most craftable items can be obtained without crafting. Illiterate provides 5 points to spend which is not enough, though.

Tentacle stockings, etc are there if you happen to have tentacles in a cold environment.
Well, there are literally tons on clothing in game, while only 10% are usable. "Clothing" tab in crafting screen is the most biggest in compare to other. And while "other" recipes are very useful, "clothing" is not.

…What?

I can find a use for 100% of the clothing items in the crafting menu. Even if you don’t want to be able to craft some of them, who’s to say somebody else doesn’t want to? For RP purposes, or because it suits a need?

Addiction is a fickle thing. Saying “you can get addicted to anything” is plain wrong. Addiction is formed when somebody craves a chemical. This can be a habit-forming drug. There’s habits, compulsions- to go on the internet, to play games, to listen to music, but a physical, withdrawal-included addiction does not exist afaik.

These traits seem pointless to me.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:1, topic:5949”]1. Crossdresser. Gives a little morale bonus (upto +5) when you worn some opposite sex clothes. (2)
2. Accurate crossdresser. Gives upto +15 morale bonus when worn PROPER things (tastes are generated randomly) and upto -10 for improper ones. (2)
3. Electrophile. Gives upto +45 for being electrocuted, lesser pain. Too high currents will negate all the bonuses. Also, gives light stimulant effect when enough current is applied. (4). Belongs to slime-chain.
4. Bookworm. Higher reading speed, but it’s an addiction, so, you have to read any books, otherwise you get morale penalty. (-3)
5. Music addict. Wants to listen to music all day and all night. Higher morale bonus (almost twice) from reading to music, but an addiction too (2)
6. Dumb. Extremely changelling trait. Player can’t craft things higher than second level, less level ones usually are made damaged for some level. Attack miss rate is higher, may stumble about things of higher, than 300 movement points. (-7)
7. Hikikomori. One more trait. Staying outside seriously harm morale, social interactions are very ineffecient. (-3)
8. Mental instability. Depending from morale there may be next effects:
<20: Occasional schizopheria effects, random good and bad effects (adrenaline spike out from nowhere, meth comedown, and so on).
<0: as <20, but more chance. May fire or randomly smash things at or even use lighter on his own.
<30: Thoughts about suicide, constant hallucinations. Very rarery morale can suddenly raise upto +500 for 15 minutes.
<60: Self-harm actions, very low speed, may activate explosives inside the inventory.
<80: Suicide if possible.
(-5)
9. Necrophile. No comments. (3).[/quote]

1. As said by others, no. No gender roles are assigned to clothing, or at least 90% of clothing, because we try to keep an open mind on that stuff.
  2. As said by others, no. No gender roles are assigned to clothing, or at least 90% of clothing, because we try to keep an open mind on that stuff.
  3. Don’t we already have a masochist trait? Do we really need more sexually-based extremely specific things?
  4. See addiction. Also, bookworm =/= book addiction. Like, what.
  5. See addiction.
  6. Nobody’s just “dumb”. I don’t think somebody should be given the inability to learn. I still think Illiterate should be solvable.
  7. There… there’s literally already a trait that does the exact same thing, and it doesn’t require extra explanation to non-native speakers: Albino.
  8. Learn about mental instability before trying to make a trait about it. Also see: Schizophrenia, an existing trait. If you mean “he’s bonkers!” insanity, then OK, but that shouldn’t/can’t be generalized to one trait. Also note that making your character commit suicide automatically isn’t something that most people want.
  9. No. That’s… no. I don’t think you can get anybody on the github to greenlight this. I hope I don’t have to say why.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:1, topic:5949”]1. Crossdresser. Gives a little morale bonus (upto +5) when you worn some opposite sex clothes. (2)
2. Accurate crossdresser. Gives upto +15 morale bonus when worn PROPER things (tastes are generated randomly) and upto -10 for improper ones. (2)[/quote]
Unanimously rejected due to unduly enforcing gender roles.

I think specific variations of masochist aren’t going to add much to the game.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:1, topic:5949”]4. Bookworm. Higher reading speed, but it’s an addiction, so, you have to read any books, otherwise you get morale penalty. (-3)
5. Music addict. Wants to listen to music all day and all night. Higher morale bonus (almost twice) from reading to music, but an addiction too (2)[/quote]
I don’t see a problem with these, no idea what the values should be offhand, but in principle it’s reasonable.

Making it be “bad at everything”, which seems to be what you’re getting at seems to be excessive. I could see a harsher version of illiterate, possibly restricting more information about items and such.

Meh.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:1, topic:5949”]8. Mental instability. Depending from morale there may be next effects:
<20: Occasional schizopheria effects, random good and bad effects (adrenaline spike out from nowhere, meth comedown, and so on).
<0: as <20, but more chance. May fire or randomly smash things at or even use lighter on his own.
<30: Thoughts about suicide, constant hallucinations. Very rarery morale can suddenly raise upto +500 for 15 minutes.
<60: Self-harm actions, very low speed, may activate explosives inside the inventory.
(-5)[/quote]
From a game point of view I don’t like taking control away from the player. From a narrative point of view I’m leery of fast and loose depictions of mental illness.

Mysophobia could be a cool. Severe morale penalties if the PC gets get dirty, wet, walks through swamps/sewage etc.
Though it’d feel like a gimmick if the game had to track the PCs cleanliness for a single trait to work.

Here’s a trait that I think would work well, don’t know how difficult it would be to add though: Insightful

The trait allows you to learn up to the skill level that is required to make an item +2, instead of the +1 that was implemented recently. I think this would be a good trait, as it has a good bonus, being able to learn more using less material, and is realistic, as some people can learn more from something than others.

[quote=“kilozombie, post:24, topic:5949”]…What?

I can find a use for 100% of the clothing items in the crafting menu. Even if you don’t want to be able to craft some of them, who’s to say somebody else doesn’t want to? For RP purposes, or because it suits a need?

Addiction is a fickle thing. Saying “you can get addicted to anything” is plain wrong. Addiction is formed when somebody craves a chemical. This can be a habit-forming drug. There’s habits, compulsions- to go on the internet, to play games, to listen to music, but a physical, withdrawal-included addiction does not exist afaik.

These traits seem pointless to me.

2. Accurate crossdresser. Gives upto +15 morale bonus when worn PROPER things (tastes are generated randomly) and upto -10 for improper ones. (2)
3. Electrophile. Gives upto +45 for being electrocuted, lesser pain. Too high currents will negate all the bonuses. Also, gives light stimulant effect when enough current is applied. (4). Belongs to slime-chain.
4. Bookworm. Higher reading speed, but it’s an addiction, so, you have to read any books, otherwise you get morale penalty. (-3)
5. Music addict. Wants to listen to music all day and all night. Higher morale bonus (almost twice) from reading to music, but an addiction too (2)
6. Dumb. Extremely changelling trait. Player can’t craft things higher than second level, less level ones usually are made damaged for some level. Attack miss rate is higher, may stumble about things of higher, than 300 movement points. (-7)
7. Hikikomori. One more trait. Staying outside seriously harm morale, social interactions are very ineffecient. (-3)
8. Mental instability. Depending from morale there may be next effects:
(-5)
9. Necrophile. No comments. (3).[/quote]

1. As said by others, no. No gender roles are assigned to clothing, or at least 90% of clothing, because we try to keep an open mind on that stuff.
  2. As said by others, no. No gender roles are assigned to clothing, or at least 90% of clothing, because we try to keep an open mind on that stuff.
  3. Don’t we already have a masochist trait? Do we really need more sexually-based extremely specific things?
  4. See addiction. Also, bookworm =/= book addiction. Like, what.
  5. See addiction.
  6. Nobody’s just “dumb”. I don’t think somebody should be given the inability to learn. I still think Illiterate should be solvable.
  7. There… there’s literally already a trait that does the exact same thing, and it doesn’t require extra explanation to non-native speakers: Albino.
  8. Learn about mental instability before trying to make a trait about it. Also see: Schizophrenia, an existing trait. If you mean “he’s bonkers!” insanity, then OK, but that shouldn’t/can’t be generalized to one trait. Also note that making your character commit suicide automatically isn’t something that most people want.
  9. No. That’s… no. I don’t think you can get anybody on the github to greenlight this. I hope I don’t have to say why.[/quote]This guy shares my thoughts exactly. Just what I wanted to say.

Honestly, music addiction is something our-of-the-ordinary. You can’t be addicted to listening to music and suffer withdrawal if you don’t. Anybody says “I’m addicted to music” cannot be taken feasibly, he just means “I listen to music a lot, I love music”. Even though, someone who loves music so much (or in your case “addicted”) will not gain higher morale by doing so. Also, you can’t expect any character with this trait to constantly listen to music every day, it’s boring just think about it.

Again, with the “bookworm” trait, think about how much would it be boring to constantly read books or else suffer penalty (which doesn’t make sense by the way).

I would also like to tackle your “necrophile” trait. If you mean “someone who likes to have sexual contact with corpses” it is pretty far-fetched since sex isn’t part of the game. Or, if you mean “someone who likes the company of the dead” this may sound interesting but in practice it is useless; imagine if you need to have one corpse lying about to get the morale bonus of it.

About illiterate.

I understand that antibiotics might have similiar spellings in many languages, but illiterate trait, to my mind means that char just cant read what is printed on the bottle of pills so he could only stare at it wondering what pills are inside (and what they will do with his body). Imagine some guy from Asian countries (no offence, just for example) who havent learned english, holding some Adderal pills - some foreign non-hireoglifical gibberish printed on the bottle, some unknown pills inside. As for me - I didnt know about Adderal at all, before reading in game descriptipon, so if char cant read title of drug or its annotation that means that he completely unaware of its effect.

Same for most of things - my illiterate char can understand contents of the book by merely looking at it. He aware of all types of drinks instead of ‘some liquid in can/bottle’? and so on.

I think that ‘true’ illiterate trait might be interesting for RP/challenge purposes. If someone wants it - player just takes it and have his game as he wants it (+ some points to sweet the bitter taste). If not - no one is forcing player to take it.

Ding ding ding! Illiteracy is not the inability to read the English language, it is the (potentially solvable, but I doubt you’d really be able to learn to read after the Cataclysm) inability to read. However, someone who is illiterate may learn basic pattern recognition. They see the words “chocolate drink” and although they may not know what it means, after one or two drinks they’d identify it as a drink that tastes like chocolate, for example.

It’d be a fairly difficult thing to do codewise, but it would be cool to see illiterates slowly learn to associate certain words with certain effects after repeated use.

Crossdresser
EditorRUS
Не позорь мою страну, извращенец!

Бугага.

nie gadam po rosyjsku :smiley:

[UA mode on] Та годі вам, хлопці. Гра де є можливість бути канібалом може мати й інші… особливості. ) [/UA mode off]

But enough derailing. Another trait (negative one) that I would like to suggest is “Enjoys Company”. I’ll explain.

Char with that trait should miss “good ol’ days” very much, along with peolple and conversation with them. After some time without seeing a NPC, char should receive negative morale modifier. Seeing/speakinf of NPC should remove it. Maybe some radio broadcasts should help too.

Missing company I like.

[quote=“Sanarr, post:34, topic:5949”]But enough derailing. Another trait (negative one) that I would like to suggest is “Enjoys Company”. I’ll explain.

Char with that trait should miss “good ol’ days” very much, along with peolple and conversation with them. After some time without seeing a NPC, char should receive negative morale modifier. Seeing/speakinf of NPC should remove it. Maybe some radio broadcasts should help too.[/quote]

or two way radio and option to random chat with one of the factions

Не позорь мою страну, извращенец!
Кто сказал, что я её позорю? У нас извращенцы по всему миру.

Anyway, is it trait proposing thread now?

[quote=“Sanarr, post:34, topic:5949”][UA mode on] Та годі вам, хлопці. Гра де є можливість бути канібалом може мати й інші… особливості. ) [/UA mode off]

But enough derailing. Another trait (negative one) that I would like to suggest is “Enjoys Company”. I’ll explain.

Char with that trait should miss “good ol’ days” very much, along with peolple and conversation with them. After some time without seeing a NPC, char should receive negative morale modifier. Seeing/speakinf of NPC should remove it. Maybe some radio broadcasts should help too.[/quote]

All survivors should have something like this, and it should get progressively more damaging. Fighting against loneliness is a good way to ramp up end-game difficulty without clobbering new-comers. Maybe add traits “Loner” and “Gregarious” for less/more severe loneliness.

Humans didn’t evolve literacy. You’d take a Really Long While and probably have to do it in stages, but I’d be open to a quest/grind* to lose Illiterate. Problem is that such a quest wold likely become an optimal/minmax’d strategy, though.

*Grinding to practice letters and word-formation, or at least Long Actions for it.

Depends on the level of illiteracy. Based on the way it works in the game, I figured that the trait reflected someone who was functionally illiterate, either due to terrible education or extreme dyslexia, with a reading speed of about one word per minute. Somebody like that could work out the labels on food and books, but actually reading even a magazine would be beyond them.

If you want a more brutal trait that represents somebody who can’t even recognise letters, then that might be worth another point and would require extra coding.