Traits

The idea about loneliness sounds about right to me.

[quote=“KA101, post:39, topic:5949”]Humans didn’t evolve literacy. You’d take a Really Long While and probably have to do it in stages, but I’d be open to a quest/grind* to lose Illiterate. Problem is that such a quest wold likely become an optimal/minmax’d strategy, though.

*Grinding to practice letters and word-formation, or at least Long Actions for it.[/quote]

Since there’s only 12 points of disadvantages avaliable, there’s only so many negative traits you could take for min-maxing, therefore it’s not a problem. The real problem is, can you really envision someone teaching themselves to read? Even from a children’s book?

But maybe we should just rename “Illiterate” to “Dyslexia”.

[quote=“Murphy, post:41, topic:5949”]The idea about loneliness sounds about right to me.

[quote=“KA101, post:39, topic:5949”]Humans didn’t evolve literacy. You’d take a Really Long While and probably have to do it in stages, but I’d be open to a quest/grind* to lose Illiterate. Problem is that such a quest wold likely become an optimal/minmax’d strategy, though.

*Grinding to practice letters and word-formation, or at least Long Actions for it.[/quote]

Since there’s only 12 points of disadvantages avaliable, there’s only so many negative traits you could take for min-maxing, therefore it’s not a problem. The real problem is, can you really envision someone teaching themselves to read? Even from a children’s book?

But maybe we should just rename “Illiterate” to “Dyslexia”.[/quote]I agree, just rename the trait and adjust the description. Also, this is a pretty severe case of dyslexia. As far as I know, many dyslexics just have a harder time learning to read or read slower.

Other 5 and 6 point negative traits are permanently crippling so if you could start illiterate and then learn to read, it should give you less points.

These are the three traits that have potential, but need a different approach. I’ve changed the names, added mirror negatives, and have tried keeping them more in line with how current traits work. I have no mod experience so some of this may not be possible, sorry if I’m mistaken lol

Bookworm - You love a good book! Moral effects of reading last twice as long, and reading even the blandest of books can make you smile. (Moral doubled from reading books, books that have negative moral are given a base of +1. Most bookworms I know tend to enjoy their books long after they read, pondering on what will happen or what they would have done. That’s why there should be a longer moral bonus. I think adding a bonus to reading speed would make this too powerful, and plenty of people who enjoy reading aren’t the fastest readers in the world.)

Ignoramus - Academics were never your strong point. You dread the need to learn from books in the apocalypse. (Rather than a mirror, maybe have books not affect your moral at all. And possibly decrease reading speed since you would much rather be doing something else. Somewhat pointless since we already have the slow reader trait.)

Music Appreciation - Music has saved your life! You get much more enjoyment out of music than the average person. (it’d be a moral boost, but I’m unsure if it should increase the amount of time music has an effect on you. I’d consider myself someone who gets great joy out of music, but my joy of a song generally ends when the song stops.)

Music Snob - You’ve spent hours explaining the difference between indie and alternative to your friends. They’ll never understand music like you. (I’d say halve the moral bonus to music. Everyone likes music, so it can’t be no bonus. Maybe add a chance to get a “hated that song” moral status that will remove the music bonus as well as give you a bit of negative moral.)

Mentally Unstable - They could never figure out what makes you tick. Even you don’t know half the time. Whether you enjoy or hate something might as well be a coin toss. (“Mentally unstable” people in real life tend to be pretty random on their responses to things. But they generally get great joy or a lot of anger out of something. Possibly amplify the moral bonus/penalty, and make whether it’s a bonus or penalty a 50/50 chance. I suppose optimist would be a mirror to this.)

Not sure if these would really be good additions, but I think it balances out the traits and makes them more in line with the current ones. I also had an idea of my own.

Tinkerer - You’ve always loved to build things. You marvel at your own ingenuity as you turn piles of junk into your legacy. (A moral bonus for crafting. The harder the item, the bigger the bonus. Difficulty(2+difficulty) = morale maybe?)

Lazy - You’re Mother totally made the best ramen. You dread the day where you have to take care of yourself. (A moral penalty for crafting. Maybe -3-(difficulty)= penalty. A decrease in crafting speed since you really don’t want to be doing this.)

There’s already Mood Swings.

[quote=“eternalflame, post:42, topic:5949”][quote=“Murphy, post:41, topic:5949”]The idea about loneliness sounds about right to me.

But maybe we should just rename “Illiterate” to “Dyslexia”.[/quote]
I agree, just rename the trait and adjust the description. Also, this is a pretty severe case of dyslexia. As far as I know, many dyslexics just have a harder time learning to read or read slower.[/quote]
Apparently words float off the page?
I don’t know, I’m apparently dyslexic, I don’t have trouble reading. Shrug.

Also, with the loner trait idea, it could probably be called “Asocial”.

How about this negative trait:

Anhedonia - Dimish all morale gains (and if focus ever ends up detached from morale, it should also reduce focus recovery) by some degree.

Моралфаги тоже по всему миру:)

Need advanced psy. system - event → reaction. Just

player::get_event(std::string event_name, std::string event_param)
{
/*reaction code gets from lua*/
}
for example.

Надо просто запилить расширенную систему психики персонажа. Т.е. событие → реакция. События раскидать по коду, а реакцию делать хоть в lua.

[quote=“Khrysanth, post:46, topic:5949”]How about this negative trait:

Anhedonia - Dimish all morale gains (and if focus ever ends up detached from morale, it should also reduce focus recovery) by some degree.[/quote]

Pretty sure that this is what pessimist does.

I had thought pessimist had a default negative morale effect. Speaking as someone with anhedonia I don’t have a generally negative mood. I simply have a muted, at best, perception of pleasure.

If I am wrong about the effect of pessimist, I’ll have to give it another look.