Traits

1. Crossdresser. Gives a little morale bonus (upto +5) when you worn some opposite sex clothes. (2)
  2. Accurate crossdresser. Gives upto +15 morale bonus when worn PROPER things (tastes are generated randomly) and upto -10 for improper ones. (2)
  3. Electrophile. Gives upto +45 for being electrocuted, lesser pain. Too high currents will negate all the bonuses. Also, gives light stimulant effect when enough current is applied. (4). Belongs to slime-chain.
  4. Bookworm. Higher reading speed, but it’s an addiction, so, you have to read any books, otherwise you get morale penalty. (-3)
  5. Music addict. Wants to listen to music all day and all night. Higher morale bonus (almost twice) from reading to music, but an addiction too (2)
  6. Dumb. Extremely changelling trait. Player can’t craft things higher than second level, less level ones usually are made damaged for some level. Attack miss rate is higher, may stumble about things of higher, than 300 movement points. (-7)
  7. Hikikomori. One more trait. Staying outside seriously harm morale, social interactions are very ineffecient. (-3)
  8. Mental instability. Depending from morale there may be next effects:
    <20: Occasional schizopheria effects, random good and bad effects (adrenaline spike out from nowhere, meth comedown, and so on).
    <0: as <20, but more chance. May fire or randomly smash things at or even use lighter on his own.
    <30: Thoughts about suicide, constant hallucinations. Very rarery morale can suddenly raise upto +500 for 15 minutes.
    <60: Self-harm actions, very low speed, may activate explosives inside the inventory.
    <80: Suicide if possible.
    (-5)
  9. Necrophile. No comments. (3).

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:1, topic:5949”]1. Crossdresser. Gives a little morale bonus (upto +5) when you worn some opposite sex clothes. (2)
2. Accurate crossdresser. Gives upto +15 morale bonus when worn PROPER things (tastes are generated randomly) and upto -10 for improper ones. (2)[/quote]
This one already existed but was eventually swapped out for the Stylish trait. There just aren’t enough clothes in the game that would really be defined as one gender or the other for it to truly work.

No. Just no.

What i2amroy said.

45 is a lot of moral and with the right bionic you’d be happy most of the time just by being electrocuted.

Disagree with all of these.

All of these ideas.

All of them.

They all need to burn. In a fire.

Preferably somewhere in the middle of a desert, possibly somewhere in Navada.

Hello everyone. I wish to continue suggestions about buffing/nerfing/changing of certain character creation traits.

I wished to have a moderately-rough roleplaying session with char that wouldnt know english + not using mechanics/electricity/etc. But when I started my illiterate char I was quite dissapointed. Yeah - I couldnt read books/computers, but overall information that game gives me hadnt changed. I still might reckognize antibiotics (+ all of medicaments) , chemistry items such as bleach and so on.

If some canned beans might still be understandable from picture on can, but what about some antibiotic/medical stuff? I think that someone who dont know English would have hard time to understand what exactly that pile of pills does.

Maybe it can be displayed in a way that ADOM does - some meaningless row of letters “describing” properties of found item.

To be honest, these ideas all SUCK!

I mean two variants of crossdresser. Why? Electrophile, never heard of such a thing. Music addict, what again? Bookworm, really?

You guys need to calm down and stop jumping on the “let’s slam people’s ideas” bandwagon. Give him a good reason why his stuff shouldn’t be in there, not just a bunch of “this sucks because this sucks.” (I’m looking at you, Vampyre. Saying “really” does not automatically make you right.)

Jeez.

Now, to actually reply to each suggestion:

1. Was already in the game as roy said, got changed.
  2. Same as 1.
  3. An odd idea, not awful though. It would make your character better at fighting shocker zombies, and would allow you to shock yourself lightly for a slight boost before heading into a fight, kind of like using other stimulants. Not sure if electricity plays a large enough role outside of shocker zombies for it to really be an impactful ability, though.
  4. I kind of like the idea of a book addiction. I don’t see why so many people are against it. It has bonuses associated, but forces you to tote around some reading material unless you want to suffer morale penalties. Why the heck not?
  5. Not so sure about this one. Double bonuses from listening to music sounds a little crazy, and the fact that the entire trait revolves around one item (MP3 player) makes it seem a little bit silly.
  6. Nonononono. Sorry, but this severely limits some hugely important aspects of the game, is insanely punishing, and I doubt anyone would ever select it, even for extra points.
  7. Not a good idea. You’re outside for most of the game, which means you just constantly suffer penalties. And there’s no way you would be able to travel long distances without penalties either, which effectively screws you over entirely.
  8. The game developers have already made it clear that your character will never commite suicide or make actions without your input, and I agree with them - feeling like you’re not in control of your own character is a very bad feeling that all games should avoid.
  9. I’m with most people and I don’t think we should cross into that realm. I’m hoping you put that one down as a joke, not a serious suggestion.

[quote=“Nighthawk, post:9, topic:5949”]You guys need to calm down and stop jumping on the “let’s slam people’s ideas” bandwagon. Give him a good reason why his stuff shouldn’t be in there, not just a bunch of “this sucks because this sucks.” (I’m looking at you, Vampyre. Saying “really” does not automatically make you right.)

Jeez.

Now, to actually reply to each suggestion:

1. Was already in the game as roy said, got changed.
  2. Same as 1.
  3. An odd idea, not awful though. It would make your character better at fighting shocker zombies, and would allow you to shock yourself lightly for a slight boost before heading into a fight, kind of like using other stimulants. Not sure if electricity plays a large enough role outside of shocker zombies for it to really be an impactful ability, though.
  4. I kind of like the idea of a book addiction. I don’t see why so many people are against it. It has bonuses associated, but forces you to tote around some reading material unless you want to suffer morale penalties. Why the heck not?
  5. Not so sure about this one. Double bonuses from listening to music sounds a little crazy, and the fact that the entire trait revolves around one item (MP3 player) makes it seem a little bit silly.
  6. Nonononono. Sorry, but this severely limits some hugely important aspects of the game, is insanely punishing, and I doubt anyone would ever select it, even for extra points.
  7. Not a good idea. You’re outside for most of the game, which means you just constantly suffer penalties. And there’s no way you would be able to travel long distances without penalties either, which effectively screws you over entirely.
  8. The game developers have already made it clear that your character will never commite suicide or make actions without your input, and I agree with them - feeling like you’re not in control of your own character is a very bad feeling that all games should avoid.
  9. I’m with most people and I don’t think we should cross into that realm. I’m hoping you put that one down as a joke, not a serious suggestion.[/quote]I tried not to be rude, but take it as honesty from my side. The reason I didn’t explain why his traits… well… suck, is the content of the traits themselves. I mean “Hikikomori. One more trait. Staying outside seriously harm morale, social interactions are very ineffecient”. or “Music addict. Wants to listen to music all day and all night. Higher morale bonus (almost twice) from reading to music, but an addiction too”. The reasoning is all there.

Bookworm isn’t a bad idea.

Possibly (9) is meant to be treated in the archaic sense of the word, “Friend of the Dead”. That’s a possible, if potentially very powerful and game-changing, trait for Cata.

Regarding games where you don’t feel in control of your character, they can work if handled properly. Go-to example is Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem. However, there the control-challenging things were a major part of the game (you knew or should have known what you were getting into) and could be minimized by keeping the SAN meter high.

Pargon Narokath Pargon Xel’lotath Pargon Santak Pargon

Bookworm sounds cool, although currently the bonuses for reading fade away very fast. If I had to constantly keep them up it would essentially preclude any long action. In fact some books have such reading times that their morale affects fade away while you read!

All in all, is anyone even using the “Just for fun” books? I don’t but I would if their effect lasted like 12-24 hours at least. It’s more realistic too.

I sometimes slip just-for-fun into big study sessions. Helps save on batteries.

But the thing is, he is treating bookworm and music addict traits as addictions, there is no such thing as being addicted to reading books or listening to music, especially for this game where the main reason/goal for the character is to survive even if the character has a very rare case with these addictions, I don’t think it matters at all in the apocalypse.

[quote=“VampyreLord, post:15, topic:5949”]there is no such thing as being addicted to reading books or listening to music[/quote]So untrue. You can get addicted to almost anything. Search “addicted to reading” or “addicted to books” on Google, and you’ll get plenty of hits, because it’s happened.

[quote=“VampyreLord, post:15, topic:5949”]even if the character have a very rare case with these addictions[/quote]We have a cannibal trait in-game already. How many cannibals do you meet every week?

Yeah, that’s a pretty rare case.

[quote=“VampyreLord, post:15, topic:5949”]I don’t think it matters at all in the apocalypse.[/quote]Feeding/overcoming an addiction is already an aspect of the game, and it’s very important. Not feeding your addiction can penalize you so heavily that a single zed can curbstomb you. I know, I’ve had it happen before. If you’re addicted to reading (which could happen), it would be important that you keep reading, whether the world has gone to hell or not. It’s the same with any addiction.

So untrue. You can get addicted to almost anything.[/quote]
Yeah, it’s normally addictions to things that are classified as drugs (Caffeine, Meth, Cocaine, Nicotine, Etc.), but it’s possible to be addicted to quite alot of things.

All of these ideas are either bad or need to be heavily revised before I’ll support the inclusion of any of them,

[quote=“Sanarr, post:7, topic:5949”]Hello everyone. I wish to continue suggestions about buffing/nerfing/changing of certain character creation traits.

I wished to have a moderately-rough roleplaying session with char that wouldnt know english + not using mechanics/electricity/etc. But when I started my illiterate char I was quite dissapointed. Yeah - I couldnt read books/computers, but overall information that game gives me hadnt changed. I still might reckognize antibiotics (+ all of medicaments) , chemistry items such as bleach and so on.

If some canned beans might still be understandable from picture on can, but what about some antibiotic/medical stuff? I think that someone who dont know English would have hard time to understand what exactly that pile of pills does.

Maybe it can be displayed in a way that ADOM does - some meaningless row of letters “describing” properties of found item.[/quote]

well in polish antibiotic is antybiotyk so even if someone do not know english will know what is that

Lol. I don’t know where this thread was last time, but if you bumped it…

But the thing is, he is treating bookworm and music addict traits as addictions, there is no such thing as being addicted to reading books or listening to music, especially for this game where the main reason/goal for the character is to survive even if the character have a very rare case with these addictions, I don't think it matters at all in the apocalypse.
They are psychological addictions and they are exist, although usually are not considered as addictions. They are pretty similar to game addiction, internet addiction, etc. It's pretty hard to say when it's an addiction or something else. But it still doesn't change the fact any of these activites may become an addiction if you spend all you time reading to books or listening to music and you feel terrible becuase of having that stopped. Something like that.

Anyway, i don’t think everything i wrote in OP post should be taken seriously. It’s just some ideas to think about.
But let me comment something:

1. Crossdresser. Gives a little morale bonus (upto +5) when you worn some opposite sex clothes. (2) 2. Accurate crossdresser. Gives upto +15 morale bonus when worn PROPER things (tastes are generated randomly) and upto -10 for improper ones. (2)
You introduce tons of different kinds of clothing in game (tentacle stockings. REALLY?), while not so many are used since they are useless and only for looks. These traits can make them a little more useful or even more useful.
3. Electrophile. Gives upto +45 for being electrocuted, lesser pain. Too high currents will negate all the bonuses. Also, gives light stimulant effect when enough current is applied. (4). Belongs to slime-chain.
Just for laughs. It's one more kind of masochism and i could write about acid, blows, anything.
4. Bookworm. Higher reading speed, but it's an addiction, so, you have to read any books, otherwise you get morale penalty. (-3) 5. Music addict. Wants to listen to music all day and all night. Higher morale bonus (almost twice) from reading to music, but an addiction too (2)
It's serious.
6. Dumb. Extremely changelling trait. Player can't craft things higher than second level, less level ones usually are made damaged for some level. Attack miss rate is higher, may stumble about things of higher, than 300 movement points. (-7)
It's serious too. Sometimes, illiterate is not enough. We need to go deeper.
7. Hikikomori. One more trait. Staying outside seriously harm morale, social interactions are very ineffecient. (-3)
For laughs. But, i think that would be a good idea.
8. Mental instability. Depending from morale there may be next effects: <20: Occasional schizopheria effects, random good and bad effects (adrenaline spike out from nowhere, meth comedown, and so on). <0: as <20, but more chance. May fire or randomly smash things at or even use lighter on his own. <30: Thoughts about suicide, constant hallucinations. Very rarery morale can suddenly raise upto +500 for 15 minutes. <60: Self-harm actions, very low speed, may activate explosives inside the inventory. <80: Suicide if possible. (-5)
Pretty serious. I want more insanity in cataclysm. That's post-apocaliptic world, after all.
Any explanation?