Tileset project

Sounds like a cool idea.

It would be nice if we got the old Gremour’s tileset’s feature where all equipped items show up on player, then it would be even better.

It’d be nice, but that’d take ages You can do that in your set if its possible. I’ll stick making the player sprite change on each profession

It’d be nice, but that’d take ages You can do that in your set if its possible. I’ll stick making the player sprite change on each profession[/quote]

Paperdolling isn’t TOO terribly difficult, especially with the lack of animation in Cataclysm. What you would do is have a base player sprite, and item sprites that are an overlay of sorts that go over it.

But if we go into so much detail for clothes, it would be weird if stuff like gender, mutations, race etc weren’t represented in the sprite. I think this kind of thing takes a lot more planning than you initially might think.

But if we go into so much detail for clothes, it would be weird if stuff like gender, mutations, race etc weren’t represented in the sprite. I think this kind of thing takes a lot more planning than you initially might think.[/quote]

Exactly, and how would you draw someone with an obscene amount of clothing on.

[quote=“Kaet”]And a man and a woman can pretty much be the same sprite. No need to add huge muscles for the guy or anything to indicate that this is in fact a man. Or make the woman incredibly dainty.
Usually its what people wear that makes them different, and everyone will want to wear things that are practical in an apocalypse, making everyone the same.[/quote]
Long hair for the woman would be good enough. Or a char customizer! Yayyy

So how far is the code? I can do some pixel tiles for the project if it is actually going to be a thing. What dimensions are we going for?

as far as dimensions go, the general feel from this thread is 15x15 per tile. Though, any size should be supportable. Smaller tiles should be faster to do rotations and also will allow a larger viewport. I spent today cleaning up the code a bit and will be able to put it up soon.

I’d think with clothes you’d want to use layering, so an article is only visible if it’s the top layer for its bodypart, possibly with special handling for a few things like backpacks, assuming there’s a good way to display them at all. Then for wielded stuff you just have a wielded weapon, and maybe an off-hand item in the not-too-distant future. Mutations probably are the most complicated thing to depect, you’d need to decide which ones have a visible effect, and have that effect conform to the clothes layer.

Personally, I consider that sort of thing significantly less important than adding some like basic transition animations. Either way, it’s detail and polish, but the second still looks amateurish while a single sprite for the player character that has transition details to make it look smooth actually looks professional.

At the very least I’d like to see us moving the sprite, visually, from square to square, instead of just poofing it.

I’m not even talking walk cycles, but transitions. Moving the icons over the intervening space, so you get the visual information on where they are moving from, instead of them just appearing. Walk cycles would be nice but not as important as the very simple motion animation itself.

Has everyone who’s working on a tileset posted screens yet? I’ve been wondering if there is going to be a huge difference in tileset artwork styles to choose from. IE: Brighter cartoony and humerous vs A more dark and creepy/realistic tileset.

Most current version of the JSON can be found here. It does not include a few definitions that I’ll be putting in today, but it should give you a good place to start. It is currently using the “tinytile.png” image that is in the same directory, but that really doesn’t matter too much since it’s just a temp tileset with only 64 tile locations available in total :smiley:

I will reuse parts of my previous tilesets.

This: http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1336.0

and

this: DFFD - File: "DEONAPOCALYPSE" - Rogue Survivor mod [1.2]

Of course with some tweaking since those were old tilesets and parts of them were terrible IMHO.

But if we go into so much detail for clothes, it would be weird if stuff like gender, mutations, race etc weren’t represented in the sprite. I think this kind of thing takes a lot more planning than you initially might think.[/quote]

Honestly, it does not take a lot of time. As long as there’s a support for that, it’s pretty easy to do.

The paperdolling thing sounds like it would be awesome.

if paperdolling is what I think it is then it can probably be added as an extra definition in the JSON’s “additional_tiles” section for any wearable items with an id of “worn”. Not sure if it will include wielded items, but it probably should. Adding wielded items would necessitate almost all items that can’t be worn having a definition with the id of “wield” . I can probably mock up something and test that pretty easily using my current rather shitty sprites. I’ll test it later today near the end of the work day (midnight-ish CST), and report the results and possibly a picture to go with it if it works okay.

Paperdolling, as I understand it, is just making stuff overlay on the sprite. PitA with animated sprites, but if you’re just sliding it around I imagine it ought to be workable. This thread has some examples of paperdolling as applied to a Cata tileset.

Okay, it is what I am thinking it is then :smiley: Should work as I laid out in the earlier post once I get to testing it.

Hey, im sorry, i totally disconnected of this forum months ago, leaving the project on its own. I will try to see if i can continue doing some tiles, but i don’t promise anythig because… well, i just don’t have time. Can anyone say to me what’s new?

EDIT: Also, i’m specially thankful to the persons that continued to work in this place. Let’s make the tileset, guys!