Tileset. Anyone?

Well, hello fellow travelers of the wastelands. In this short beginnig, I want to thank you for this awesome game and I’m deeply sorry for my english. I’m only 17, Im from eastern europe and my english teacher is too busy with his endless bottle of vodka.

I’m new to this game, forum and everything. in a fact i don’t even know what that “Roguelike” word means. Anyway, I love this game. I dreamed about something like Cataclysm. But I gotta one, huge problem. Graphic.
It’s too oldschool for me. I can’t stand it. Maybe my imagination is retarded ; )

So, my question is - maybe somebody want to show me simply tileset mod? I downloaded a Deon’s tileset but i heard that the new version needs new tileset and i don’t want to play the older version of Cataclysm.

Sorry again for my english. Really. Thank you anyway and good hunting, Stalkers : )

At first i got excited, then I was sick. Kind of like when I watch 2girls1cup.

A tile set would be a pain in the ass for the devs to make, so they haven’t done it.
Using the look (x button) shows you what most things are.

I wrote something wrong? If I did - please forgive me… and could you be so nice and tell me what and why? Thanks.
Yeah, I know how to use the look but still - when I’m playing I feel like a child in the mist. So, no chance for tileset, right?

Comparing my post to that sick video is just bad, mate.

[quote=“greenthumb, post:3, topic:193”]I wrote something wrong? If I did - please forgive me… and could you be so nice and tell me what and why? Thanks.
Yeah, I know how to use the look but still - when I’m playing I feel like a child in the mist. So, no chance for tileset, right?[/quote]

I wouldnt say NO chance, but honestly, its a lot more than just a mod. you need to know how to get it to work with opengl because its no longer just rendering terminal text.

And second, the great thing about ascii is we(programmers) can develop new features and content quickly without having to wait for art assets to be done.

Also, if you had bothered to use that great little searchbox in the corner, you’d have seen a half dozen other threads about why DDA doesn’t have a tileset, and how it might be some time before it does.

Everyone seems really rude tonight, apologies my friend.

As others have said, I don’t think tilesets will be around for a long time. I know the devs wouldn’t be opposed to it - but apparently it is very difficult and they are more concerned with improving the game. I’m sure somewhere down the line one will appear though as they did for the original cataclysm.

In the meantime, stick with it - ASCII is horrible looking but you do eventually get used to it!

Yes, keep playing my friend. And eventually that Z will turn into a shambling killing machine.

A new tileset appears! (I guess?)
It seems like some guise on the forums are planning to make a tileset for the newest version of DDA.
(They’ve got Deon helping :D)
http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=421.0

And yes, the current Deon’s tileset is brutally old but you CAN still play it while waiting for the newest one :smiley:
Now get out of here, STALKER!

I think the main problem with tilesets are that they can confuse them.
like a # can be facing any direction but an image of a chair is only one way, and thus the whole thing is confusing.

[quote=“AseaHeru, post:9, topic:193”]I think the main problem with tilesets are that they can confuse them.
like a # can be facing any direction but an image of a chair is only one way, and thus the whole thing is confusing.[/quote]
That’s why you make them look like a stool/pallet and call them thrones.

I Really enjoy the AcsII style. It’s like playing a book you get to use your imagination. So its kinda like your own personal game where you can see something completely different than what other people see or you can be boring and just see @ as your character. Until they make a Tile set just play the game for awhile longer and eventually you’ll come to like the graphics because I know at first I didn’t like it but now I have realized it is more immersive than any other game that would have graphics.

*My english is not the best either :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Idk just my opinion, sadly there is no real tile set out but there is a beta of one here: http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=421.0

[quote=“DagLagPurjo, post:8, topic:193”]A new tileset appears! (I guess?)
It seems like some guise on the forums are planning to make a tileset for the newest version of DDA.
(They’ve got Deon helping :D)
http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=421.0

And yes, the current Deon’s tileset is brutally old but you CAN still play it while waiting for the newest one :smiley:
Now get out of here, STALKER![/quote]

Yeah, when Im getting used to AcsII style they are making tileset. Classic.
Anyway, I want to thank all of you guys for the respond ; )