[TILES] Updated! - Some basic ASCII tilesets for the non-graphics crowd

Greetings.

I’d like to offer you a small selection of pure-ASCII tilesets, for use in Cataclysm.
These tilesets aim to recreate the look of “console” Cataclysm, but with some of the bells and whistles that come with graphics tiles.
Like being square.

They pretty much leave no unassigned tiles, hopefully, at least for vanilla Cataclysm. Mods are a different matter.

They are not made by me, technically. They are mostly a showcase of the capabilities of Chase’s Tileset Editor, the latest unreleased version, and were generated mostly from tilesets I lifted from the multitude available for Dwarf Fortress.

Feel free to use these as the basis for any tileset you might want to make yourself.
Or, if you’re like me and appreciate good ASCII graphics too, feel free to play with them. :wink:
[hr]HRose’s 10x10 Tileset:

I don’t know whether HRose made those tiles, or found them somewhere, but his(her?) ASCII/Retro tileset pretty much sparked this whole thing. It’s a crisp set with fairly small tiles, nice and good looking.

Download
[hr]New! HRose’s 10x10 Tileset modified by Sean Mirrsen:

A stupidly minor modification that I find at least partially eye-pleasing, this is a version of the 10x10 HRose’s tileset with slightly smoothed wall corners.

Download
[hr]New! Cheepicus’s 12x12 Tileset:

An alternative to Herrbdog’s somewhat dark set in the 12x12 size, this set is reasonably nice to look at and easy to read.

Download
[hr]Herrbdog’s 12x12 Tileset:

This is my favorite tileset for playing Dwarf Fortress. It’s a little darker than normal, but the 3D-ish shading makes it look interesting. For Cataclysm, it’s also quite serviceable, and with the recent zoom function it retains good legibility on the zoomed-out view.

Download
[hr]Herrbdog’s 12x12 Tileset, modified by Sean Mirrsen:

A curious recent addition to Tileset Editor allowed me to craft this interesting variant of Herrbdog’s tileset, that uses a colored outline instead of a full-tile fill to display background color. The result looks a little cleaner, though with the size of most tiles the effect is almost unnoticeable.

Download
[hr]New! Zaratustra’s 16x16 Tileset:

Since Zara’s 8x8 tiles mysteriously stopped working for me, I decided to get one of his/her larger tilesets up. This one was particularly useful to me when I was playing the game on my FullHD 11-inch tablet - the font size is juuust right.

Download
[hr]New! HRose’s 10x10 set, upscaled to 20x20:

Rounding up the additions with something in generously oversized, this set is suprisingly good to look at at normal zoom and screen size, and allows using the zoom function to see more of the area, as long as your PC can take the performance hit.

Download
[hr]

I removed the 8x8 Zara set because it mysteriously stopped working, but I don’t think anyone here actually has screens that low-res. Anyways, these sets should - finally - actually cover all the standard tiles, and look more or less SDL-like. There were a few fairly stupid issues in places, because of how random Cata’s standards for Json definitions are, but I think I squashed them all and got a few tilesets you people can use freely out of it.

These all look great!

Also note please, these are for the standard 0.A “Kaufman” version. I just downloaded the latest experimental and realized that there are a number of new items and buildings there. I’ll remake the sets (thankfully it’s no big deal) with the latest experimental in mind, and update the archives (the links should remain the same).

edit: and updated. Should still work with the regular version.

This was exactly what I was looking for,

thanks!

We need more posts like this, really good!

It’s going to be pretty useless, tho :wink:

BevapDin is working on code to load two fonts. So you get one font for the menu, and one font for the map. So you don’t even need to go into tile mode and have much better performance and effects.

Yeah, it’s mostly all stopgaps until proper tileset support is in. Proper meaning that tilesets and graphics sets are separate and combinable.

However until proper ASCII fallback works, there won’t be another way to combine ASCII and graphics tiles.

This is WITHOUT tiles:

Just a couple of bugs to fix.

Seen it on github, still saying you’ve gotten amazing job done!

[quote=“HRose, post:8, topic:5333”]This is WITHOUT tiles:

Just a couple of bugs to fix.[/quote]Lookin’ good! :slight_smile:

I can already play mine though. :stuck_out_tongue: But seriously, great job. Looking forward to it.

Also, it’s not correct to say it’s without tiles. What you’re using is a bitmap font - a tileset, in other words. I’d really like it if the DF nomenclature became accepted in Cataclysm - a “tileset” is ASCII tiles, and custom object tiles are a “graphics set”.

When I install Zara 8x8 or any other tileset for that matter, cataclysm fails to read the tile_config.json I’m on the experimental build 0.A 647

[quote=“RipRoarinBoogerPenis, post:11, topic:5333”]When I install Zara 8x8 or any other tileset for that matter, cataclysm fails to read the tile_config.json I’m on the experimental build 0.A 647[/quote]Only one of these tilesets, or any other tilesets, including built-in ones? Because Windows graphical experimentals miss some DLLs required for tilesets to work with SDL2.

Been doing some major fixing with the algorithms used by the tile and color selectors. Right now I think I’ve got it to be as close to real ASCII as it possibly can get. The only thing missing is the lighting, but that’s more of a Cataclysm problem in general.

[/spoiler][spoiler=HRose’s 10x10 Tileset]

Will test some more things and update the OP with updated sets and some new ones.

I think I am missing some dll or something. What should I do?

You need the DLLs linked in this post: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5575.msg95297#msg95297

However, there is currently a bug that makes using them kill all animation in the game. It beats having no game at all, but it’s very choppy.

Bumping the thread, with an update to previous releases and some new ones:

[hr]HRose’s 10x10 Tileset:

I don’t know whether HRose made those tiles, or found them somewhere, but his(her?) ASCII/Retro tileset pretty much sparked this whole thing. It’s a crisp set with fairly small tiles, nice and good looking.

Download
[hr]New! HRose’s 10x10 Tileset modified by Sean Mirrsen:

A stupidly minor modification that I find at least partially eye-pleasing, this is a version of the 10x10 HRose’s tileset with slightly smoothed wall corners.

Download
[hr]New! Cheepicus’s 12x12 Tileset:

An alternative to Herrbdog’s somewhat dark set in the 12x12 size, this set is reasonably nice to look at and easy to read.

Download
[hr]Herrbdog’s 12x12 Tileset:

This is my favorite tileset for playing Dwarf Fortress. It’s a little darker than normal, but the 3D-ish shading makes it look interesting. For Cataclysm, it’s also quite serviceable, and with the recent zoom function it retains good legibility on the zoomed-out view.

Download
[hr]Herrbdog’s 12x12 Tileset, modified by Sean Mirrsen:

A curious recent addition to Tileset Editor allowed me to craft this interesting variant of Herrbdog’s tileset, that uses a colored outline instead of a full-tile fill to display background color. The result looks a little cleaner, though with the size of most tiles the effect is almost unnoticeable.

Download
[hr]New! Zaratustra’s 16x16 Tileset:

Since Zara’s 8x8 tiles mysteriously stopped working for me, I decided to get one of his/her larger tilesets up. This one was particularly useful to me when I was playing the game on my FullHD 11-inch tablet - the font size is juuust right.

Download
[hr]New! HRose’s 10x10 set, upscaled to 20x20:

Rounding up the additions with something in generously oversized, this set is suprisingly good to look at at normal zoom and screen size, and allows using the zoom function to see more of the area, as long as your PC can take the performance hit.

Download
[hr]

I removed the 8x8 Zara set because it mysteriously stopped working, but I don’t think anyone here actually has screens that low-res. Anyways, these sets should - finally - actually cover all the standard tiles, and look more or less SDL-like. There were a few fairly stupid issues in places, because of how random Cata’s standards for Json definitions are, but I think I squashed them all and got a few tilesets you people can use freely out of it.

Wow, thanks for those sets! They all look spiffy!

OT: Please explain/link to explanation!

Dem newbs be necroing stuff.

If you don’t know, Sean finished his term with us and left. But you’re asking for a link, huh? Well the mobile thing doesn’t work.

Necroing seems thematically apropos…'sides, it was only mostly dead.

But thanks for the info!