Tileset - 16px Version. (Development Stopped)

Sorry to spam, but you saw my post?

Yeah it is quite good to see just trunks of big trees, but how would one differentiate between apple tree and regular one. Additionally, now saplings look strange instead. Then I think of young tree, I think of this:
http://cdn1.pacifichorticulture.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Ritter.01.young-tree.jpg
It’s a good start.

Hey, I did see your post :slight_smile:

Can’t claim anything on the zombie graphic, that’s one of the remnant from the initial sheet Galen released when he rolled out tile support.

Good idea on the trees, I’ve been pondering something similar since the existing tree sprites look like small bushes. As far as a critique goes, I’d brighten up the colors to match the rest of the sprites, maybe pull them from the heavy stick. I do like how you get a much better physical presence with the approach you’re using.

[quote=“RadaRadaRada, post:42, topic:2937”]Yeah it is quite good to see just trunks of big, trees but how would one differentiate between apple tree and regular one. Additionally, now saplings look strange instead. Then I think of young tree, I think of this:
http://cdn1.pacifichorticulture.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Ritter.01.young-tree.jpg
It’s a good start.[/quote]

Oh, now i see that you are right, im gonna change that. Pic in another topic maybe, i don’t want to spam Hoder’s thread.
And about the apples, i just draw some red circles in the ground, like if the apples have fallen. It looks nice.

[quote=“SirHoder, post:43, topic:2937”]Can’t claim anything on the zombie graphic, that’s one of the remnant from the initial sheet Galen released when he rolled out tile support.

Good idea on the trees, I’ve been pondering something similar since the existing tree sprites look like small bushes. As far as a critique goes, I’d brighten up the colors to match the rest of the sprites, maybe pull them from the heavy stick. I do like how you get a much better physical presence with the approach you’re using.[/quote]

About the zombie graphic, did not actually tought of that entirely. ._.

Well, it still represents your tileset in some way.

About the trees, that would be a good idea. Another one, maybe, is to change the dirt color a bit… it is too… "orangish."
Just a suggestion.

Another question about the tiles:

Examined the JSON files describing the structure of tiles, primarily interested in patterned tiles, which are used for the walls. I see that there are described for corner tiles, central, straight, T-shaped, and the final single parts of the wall, but they are all in one direction only. As I understand it, they have to turn to depending on which direction … That is, tiles can only be drawn for the kind of strictly top. Is it possible to make the tiles, which are not part of the turn, and draw different depending on the direction? To draw the tiles on a la old top-down jrpg?

that’s something like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[hr]

Еще вопрос про тайлы:

Изучил JSON файлы с описанием структуры тайлов, в первую очередь заинтересовали тайлы наборные, которые для стен используются. Я вижу, что там описаны тайлы для угловой, центральной, прямой, Т-образной, конечной и одиночной частей стены, но все они только для одного направления. Как я понимаю, они должны поворачиваться в зависимости от необходимого направления… Т.е. тайлы можно рисовать только для вида строго сверху. А можно ли сделать тайлы, в которых части будут не поворачиваться, а рисоваться разные в зависимости от направления? Чтобы нарисовать тайлы о-ля старые top-down jrpg?

что-то типа вот такого:

Currently the “multi-tile” sprites are all rotated (that’s why I have rather abstract walls without directional shadows).

I believe GalenEvil is currently working on providing Isometric tile support, which should work the way you expect.

I’m posting this here at Zireael’s request in hopes that SirHoder (and other tile artists) will see it.

If you make the ground tiles darker it is much easier to see monsters and items. I have a demo at http://shadowdarke.byondhome.com/library/hodertiles.png which cuts the brightness on SirHoder’s ground tiles by 50%. Compare it to the standard set and see what you think.

a really nice work! cheers !

But Could you work a little about assemble vehicle Sir? I think i could be a great visual improvement in wild exploration/game.

Not sure what you mean by “Assemble vehicle”, but the vehicle tiles should all be in place. The way the game currently displays vehicles does not yet include anything beyond frames, wheels and doors, so a lot of the details are not yet displaying.

It looks like last weekend’s version of the tile set was included in the experimental build a couple days ago. So the latest experimental is up to date until I get some more work completed.

Today I’ll be working on some of the suggestions you guys have been giving me (revamping trees and ground tiles) along with hopefully grinding out the various tiles for “Ammo”.

And could you change the clothes of the dude? It looks like from the 19th century. If you want i can give you my modified dude. And blood, i changed the blood a bit, im gonna show it to joo.

Also, i’d like to help you with the tileset, but i know its yours, so… well, if you want, tell me, but i understand if not.

[center]

[/center]

Lucky update .013 is up.

Didn’t get as much done as I’d hoped for this weekend. Re-did the stock trees into something stump like, toasted the dirt tile slightly (not too much, trying not to darken up the game), redid my horrible display rack (into a generic counter that lets you see what is on it), and got about a third of the way through the ammo items (mainly boxes of ammo and 40mm grenades, some stuff that I wouldn’t call ammo, like feathers. Exotic power packs and reloading components are still default ascii.)

Still want to get more done before I upload to the main project, but thought I should throw this out there until then.

@Stopsignal, not really looking to collaborate on this. Having to keep in touch with other people and coordinate efforts just drag a non-social neck beard like myself into project=work mode. Style, consistency, and quality are already taking a beating (as I expected when I found out there were over 1100 items, gah!). My main focus is getting as much as possible completed before I hit burnout. Once I hit “done enough” (new items seem to pop up every day), I’ll start spending more development time making things look better, have a consistent style, have more distinct sprites (instead of generic book, generic box o’ pistol ammo, etc.). At that point I’d be more open to arting it up with other people.

I am hoping the mod manager project lets us use multiple tileset “chunks” (so that Joe Blow’s weapon pack can be loaded over my base tiles for instance). I think that functionality would really let people put together tilesets that shine without having to custom craft/config edit their own complete pack. Also mod developers can add new items without having to a create a complete game tileset. Just a hint hint nudge nudge to anyone who might be working on that (I haven’t been keeping track of how development has been going over the last couple weeks).

Well, so much for popping in with a quick update :slight_smile: Time to quite rambling and start doing something constructive.

Oh, well, great then, i completely understand understand!

Oh ok … it’s boring…
i ask that cause i saw some tile on top of your tile set, in vehicle tile, looking the same. and no-one for car-glasses…
It s the same problem with the “?” for estimated sound and infrared vision?

and cheers again :slight_smile:

Hoder, I have noticed that the latest release has a number of the tiles on the png being actually shifted a bit. Its noticeable in the game because you get items which are clipped and have bits other tiles showing.

Augh! It looks like I shifted the item layer on accident… Current Version is now .014. No sprites added, just the tile shift fixed.

RL is kinda crazy for the next week or so, I expect there won’t be much in the way of new content.

Perfectly fine. Life tends to happen after all and its not like your tileset isn’t amazing already.

Well, it looks like I’m dropping out of the tileset development business. Details in the original post.

Sorry about this guys, but I’m just not going to be able to finish this.

Here’s hoping that someone else picks up the development.

Thanks for the wonderful contribution to the project.

I’ve updated the HoderTileset to work with the recent vehicle tile fix in experimental.

You can download it from here: [URL=http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1382407861]Hoder_CataGFX_014-exp1.zip[/URL]

Note: I didn’t change any of the tile graphics, I just updated the tile_config.json to work with the new vehicle part names.