Tileset - 16px Version. (Development Stopped)

Wow, I guess I better get back to work on it :slight_smile:

If anybody has any feedback, I’d love to hear it. Next plans are probably to get missile weapons in place (firearms/bows).

Beyond that, let me know what catches your eye as you are playing, most on my development path is determined by what bugs me visually as I play.

Since we’re getting both tilesets in the mainline, how about a way to switch quickly, kind of like a zoom?

Wrote a response to Kaet’s thread WRT tile zooming.

I am also working on a way to quickly switch tilesets w/o needing to preload everything. It is planned for later in the Mod Manager development cycle.

Ok, another update (v .008)

Some more common house items (glasses, sunglasses, sewing kit, etc), various meats, and pistols are now doodled out on the sprite sheet.

@Kaet, I’ve gone with the textured “hidden tiles” because I felt the solid black shadow tiles just looked too jagged… I though about alpha blending along the tile edges until I looked at the code and figured out that a huge display optimization comes from not drawing anything at the hidden tiles, thus no background to blend against. So the texture is my way of “softening” the black blockyness. I can add a solid black tile back into the sheet though, then changing the styles is just updating a value in the tile_config.json file. I’ll have that in my next update.

And now .009 is up.

Added a solid black tile for those that prefer the unknown to be truly unknown :slight_smile:

The tile_config.json file will need to be manually edited,

{ "id":"lighting_hidden", "fg":0, "rotates":false },

needs to be changed to…

{ "id":"lighting_hidden", "fg":1, "rotates":false },

And another question for Galen, just found a missing icon and could use some help figuring out what it is…

Found a house with a rubble field in it, the defined sprites for the rubble seem to display correctly, but another sprite on the tile is causing a undefined sprite display.

This might end up being a spoiler, so I’m hiding some details for those who don’t want any unexpected info…

[spoiler]Is there a field effect I’m missing? the “X” description doesn’t show anything, but stepping on the tile gives me a “Ssssss” message which I don’t think I’ve encountered before.

Now that I’m stomping around, I’m getting Shadow Snakes appearing, think this is hitting spoiler territory.

Some deductive reasoning and poking around has answered my question, looks like an artifact is corrupting the local area.
[/spoiler]

Not really a spoiler, per se, be I’ll stick it in as one anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

That is the tile “tr_snake” which is a trap that spawns shadow snakes :slight_smile: I don’t think you have a tile defined for it yet. They don’t have any description text in their trap definition, which would be why you don’t see anything when you “X” over it.

[quote=“SirHoder, post:26, topic:2937”]And another question for Galen, just found a missing icon and could use some help figuring out what it is…

Found a house with a rubble field in it, the defined sprites for the rubble seem to display correctly, but another sprite on the tile is causing a undefined sprite display.

This might end up being a spoiler, so I’m hiding some details for those who don’t want any unexpected info…

[spoiler]Is there a field effect I’m missing? the “X” description doesn’t show anything, but stepping on the tile gives me a “Ssssss” message which I don’t think I’ve encountered before.

Now that I’m stomping around, I’m getting Shadow Snakes appearing, think this is hitting spoiler territory.

Some deductive reasoning and poking around has answered my question, looks like an artifact is corrupting the local area. So now my question is, what is the item id for an artifact?
[/spoiler][/quote]

Artifacts are currently all defined in artifacts.cpp, not sure why they are still hardcoded after having moved all other items out to json definitions :S

Boy, messed up that quote series… I’ll have to edit out my mess.

Update .010 is ready. Turned on dirty dirty cheat mode and explored a silo and science lab.

Added in missing metal floor tiles for the silo, not happy with the look, but since the silo cover and catwalks all use the same tile, I had to keep it generic. Also added a series of missile tiles to display the “Round” missile shape.

Added in some common items from the science lab that I’d been missing (a couple traps, blue floor, glowsticks, rubber gloves).

Added in shotguns, they look craptacular and I’ll probably have to go back and re-do them out of spite. But they’re there.

Well I am glad this tileset was included in the 0.8 release. While I like Deon’s the fact that this one is 16x16 is a nice boon as well as it having a different feel to it. In my video of the 0.8 release here at the end I try to go and compare the two and how I feel about them and end up describing this one as feeling more pulpy because of how the buildings and such look as well as the feel of the character. Definitely will use it some in the future.

If you run across tiles that are used in different places but should look different, let us know, adding new terrain types isn’t that big a deal on the engine side.

If you run across tiles that are used in different places but should look different, let us know, adding new terrain types isn’t that big a deal on the engine side.[/quote]

Well, in that case, my initial impression was that the interior missile silo catwalks should use the “t_grate” tile (like when you walk down into a mine.) Was avoiding broaching any actual game changes, that’s too much like development :slight_smile:

Today’s update v.011

Added in Strange Temple tiles and SMGs (did just note that the item definitions are a bit scrambled, so still have some undoodled shotguns/pistols/smgs, grrr).

Am now on the active lookout for undefined tiles, So far there are Artifacts and pit traps that I know of. Let me know what else I’m missing if you spot the pink “no-no” symbol.

Ver .012 is now up. Ground my way through the items from ranged.json (namely GUNS!).

Archery items, ammo, and firearm accessories are still up in the air. Now to take a break until my eyes stop bleeding.

Congrats on 0.8 to you too, dear Sir. :smiley:

Ok, I’m currently testing out posting my updates directly to GitHub. I’ll probably end up removing the manual download link once I’ve sorted out the new workflow and determined it works as expected. Until then, I’ll continue to update the FP download link as well. If this works like I hope, the experimental build should automatically be released with my current tile set, at most a day or two old.

@Kaet, think that might be from Rivet’s forging add-on. I bet the charcoal kiln and whatever else he’s added in the last week or so is missing as well. Thanks for the heads up.

You just gained my whole respect.

Also, i didn’t do this to take your job, i only made this to see how it could work. I upload it here to show it to the world.

I used SirHoder’s tileset zombie becuase i find it more cute and retro. I use a modified version of his tileset.

I modified the trees and other things, but the weirdest thing was to modify the dude to look like me. I have no life.

i think you deserve to use it.

Also, started editing your tileset, just for personal preference. I want to know if you like the tree’s style. Also, the bushes are a bit decoloured for now, im gonna fix that.

One question: is it possible to use an animated gif as a tileset? A little animation (1-4 frames) can make life in the game. For example can make a rippling on the water.

The tile sheet is a .png file. So to the best of my knowledge, no animation support.