[TILES] Updated! - Some basic ASCII tilesets for the non-graphics crowd

I’ve only mostly left, too. I tend to drift, like my focus.

Explaining the tablet thing, it’s a Samsung ATIV Tab 7. It runs full Windows 8 and has a keyboard dock, so it’s a “hybrid” kind of tablet.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:19, topic:5333”]Dem newbs be necroing stuff.

If you don’t know, Sean finished his term with us and left. But you’re asking for a link, huh? Well the mobile thing doesn’t work.[/quote]

Wrong Sean, Ninja. Sean McLaughlin (GalenEvil) Disappeared after the time (but not the money) ran out, and at last check is now the shocker zed in the Refugee Center’s bay.

Ufufu… >:

Tried to figure out how to add in one of these but I’m not sure if I either messed up, am using the wrong version of the game, or am using a too new experimental version of the game.

So if someone could reply some installation instructions that would be great.

Such as:

Do I use the graphical version or console version of the game?
Will it work on experimental version?
Where do I put the files?
How do I tell the game to use them?

(What I tried was graphical version(newest experimental 0.A-.2100), put them int the gfx folder, went to options with tilesets set to yes and the new one selected. I got an error that it couldn’t read the .json)

Oh, and it was the Herrbdog’s 12x12 Tileset, modified by Sean Mirrsen that I tried to use

[quote=“Lanceo90, post:24, topic:5333”]Tried to figure out how to add in one of these but I’m not sure if I either messed up, am using the wrong version of the game, or am using a too new experimental version of the game.

Such as:

(What I tried was graphical version(newest experimental 0.A-.2100), put them int the gfx folder, went to options with tilesets set to yes and the new one selected. I got an error that it couldn’t read the .json)

Oh, and it was the Herrbdog’s 12x12 Tileset, modified by Sean Mirrsen that I tried to use[/quote]

Ok,

First: You use the graphical version
Second: you can use the experimental version but I’m seeing a lot of ‘?’ indicating missing tiles (which is strange because I thought this had a fallback mode or something)

instructions (for the exp. version):

1. drop the 12x12_herrbdog map into the gfx folder
  2. open the tileset.txt file in that folder and change it to this

NAME: 12x12_Herrbdog
VIEW: 12x12_Herrbdog’s
JSON: 12x12_Herrbdog/tile_config.json
TILESET: 12x12_Herrbdog/tileset.png

(so remove the gfx part) (there was a change to the way it reffered to the json and png paths)

as I said I’m seeing a lot of ‘?’ but this way you can try it out

As for the 0.A version, I just dropped Herrbdog’s folder in the gfx folder and it worked without problems for me.
(no missing tiles, or whatever the problem is that causes so many red ‘?’)

[quote=“RonniDeWorm, post:25, topic:5333”][quote=“Lanceo90, post:24, topic:5333”]Tried to figure out how to add in one of these but I’m not sure if I either messed up, am using the wrong version of the game, or am using a too new experimental version of the game.

Such as:

Oh, and it was the Herrbdog’s 12x12 Tileset, modified by Sean Mirrsen that I tried to use[/quote]

Ok,

First: You use the graphical version
Second: you can use the experimental version but I’m seeing a lot of ‘?’ indicating missing tiles (which is strange because I thought this had a fallback mode or something)

instructions (for the exp. version):

1. drop the 12x12_herrbdog map into the gfx folder
  2. open the tileset.txt file in that folder and change it to this

NAME: 12x12_Herrbdog
VIEW: 12x12_Herrbdog’s
JSON: 12x12_Herrbdog/tile_config.json
TILESET: 12x12_Herrbdog/tileset.png

(so remove the gfx part) (there was a change to the way it reffered to the json and png paths)

as I said I’m seeing a lot of ‘?’ but this way you can try it out

As for the 0.A version, I just dropped Herrbdog’s folder in the gfx folder and it worked without problems for me.
(no missing tiles, or whatever the problem is that causes so many red ‘?’)[/quote]

Hmm I still got the same message.

Oh I see, my example is for herrbdog’s (normal) and not the one modified by sean.

What you basically need to do is remove all the ‘gfx/’ strings from the tileset.txt of whatever tileset you’re using.
So for the one you’re lookin for it has to look like this(just to be sure the map is named ‘12x12_HdCSJM’):

NAME: 12x12_Hbdog/CSJM
VIEW: 12x12_Hbdog/CSJM’s
JSON: 12x12_HdCSJM/tile_config.json
TILESET: 12x12_HdCSJM/tileset.png

and of course, don’t forget to save the file after you edit it.

Yep, question marks, question marks everywhere.

I know it’s too be expected though :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone know of some awesome square fonts for console version? Right now I’m using cootue_curses_square and it’s nice but wondering if there’s better

This is effectively an ASCII-fallback mode in and of itself, but it needs to be updated for the latestmost experimental every time there is some kind of update to the tiles. Since I’ve left the scene for such a long time, I don’t know where to (re)start to update these again.

But that’s strange, I thought the game itself already has a pure ASCII tileset mode, with map support and all?

Clarification the above: The current experimentals support setting the “text” and “display” fonts separately, and you can set them to be different sizes.

You can just use a standard bitmap ASCII page to make these tilesets mostly pointless. All you lose is zooming and some eyecandy.

These all look nasty. I’ve been playing default forever.

[quote=“Sean Mirrsen, post:30, topic:5333”]Clarification the above: The current experimentals support setting the “text” and “display” fonts separately, and you can set them to be different sizes.

You can just use a standard bitmap ASCII page to make these tilesets mostly pointless. All you lose is zooming and some eyecandy.[/quote]

I don’t actually know where to change these settings. Does that mean we can use a square font for the overworld map but keep a rectangular font for the sidebar (and use a graphical tileset for the main display)? I’ve been wanting that for ages; rectangular fonts make it look distorted.

Or is the overworld map covered by the “text” font rather than the “display” font?

Overworld and text are covered by the same font, unfortunately. Not sure why. Overworld has the same map+sidebar layout that main view does, so perhaps that’s doable. Somebody would just need to make the game load a third font. :stuck_out_tongue:

It still allows you to have a smaller square font for text/map, and a larger square font for the game view itself.

As for how to do it, you need to modify the “fonts.json” in the CDDA “config” folder to point to the fonts you want (“map” is the main view font, overmap is still in regular “font”), and the “fontlist.txt” in the same place to include any new fonts you may be using. The new fonts should be somewhere within the CDDA folders - for consistency, I put them in data/fonts.

For instance, if you wanted a setup like the above, you would:

1. copy two PNG font sheets to data/fonts. In this case they are “Goofy12x12.png”, and “Goofy12x12x2.png”.
  2. edit config/fontlist.txt, so its beginning reads like this:
FixedsysTTF Monospaced data/font/fixedsys.ttf 0 Terminus data/font/terminus.fon 0 Goofy12x12.png data/font/Goofy12x12.png 0 Goofy12x12x2.png data/font/Goofy12x12x2.png 0
3) edit config/fonts.json to look like this:
{ "fontblending" : true, "fontwidth" : 12, "fontheight" : 12, "fontsize" : 12, "typeface" : "Goofy12x12.png", "map_fontwidth" : 24, "map_fontheight" : 24, "map_fontsize" : 24, "map_typeface" : "Goofy12x12x2.png" }
4) set the console width and height in config/options.txt, if the game freaks out about your new resolution being wider than your screen.

That’s a pity about the overworld map not being separate; thanks for those instructions though. Reading plain text with a square font can be a bit awkward, but hey, maybe I’ll give it a try sometime.

Testing something right now…

Nice; is that the overworld map separated out to use a third font?

Yep! :smiley:

Kind of crept up in the course of me finding a solution for recently-introduced framebuffer artifacts. If my PR passes, you’ll be able to define three separate fonts for the main view, the overmap, and pretty much all of the text. The only remaining bits will be the minimap, which must be scaled to the sidebar’s font, and notes on the overmap, which are actually drawn to the overmap itself rather than a separate window.

It’s looking good! I’m a bit confused about this bit though:

Does that mean that notes added to the map might be a different size/shape if you’re not using the same font for the overworld map and normal text? Or is it that those notes are using the same font as the map, meaning they’ll be square too if you’re going for square map tiles? (That makes more sense than my first thought.)

Yeah, the notes are using the same font as the overmap. They’re literally being drawn directly to it in the code.

Although I noticed a lil’ problem just now. Gonna need to fix it.

Oh, so the note text too; not just the note labels that flash on whichever tiles you marked. I didn’t think of that.

That is a bit of a shame; if you can just define fonts via png files then it would be nice to have graphical tiles on the overmap. Little trees for forest tiles, little buildings in different colours, etc…

Still, square tiles alone will be good.