RetroDays Tileset

[size=18pt]RetroDays Tileset[/size]

Note: As of 19-07-14, the updated version of RetroDays has been added to Cataclysm DDA itself. Just grab a (currently experimental) build of the game from this date or later, and you’ll find the latest version of RetroDays included within it. (Now with automatic ASCII fallback so any undefined objects will use ASCII instead of having a missing tile.)

The version of RetroDays found on the Nexus page (v1.0) is made for Cataclysm DDA 0.A stable - and can still be used for it.

RetroASCII Overmap Font: If you want your in-game overmap to look like this, grab the RetroASCII Overmap Font package from the Nexus link below. Instructions are in the included readme file.

Download: Nexus

Screenshots:

Readme:

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

==================
RetroDays Tileset

Version: 1.0
Date: 16-04-2014
Author: Antistar (Based on work by HRose and Trihook)
E-mail: josephlollback@hotmail.com

1. Description
  2. Requirements
  3. Installation/Uninstallation
  4. Playing the mod
  5. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
  6. Save games
  7. Conflicts/Known Issues
  8. Credits
  9. Permissions
  10. Contact and Information
  11. Legal Stuff/Disclaimer
  12. Version History

===============

1. DESCRIPTION
    ===============

Beyond (ideally) looking good, tilesets are great for efficiently communicating the environment to the player. If each tile is too big and your monitor is not high-res enough however, your view distance in-game is somewhat limited, which can become a handicap.

The base version of the RetroDays tileset uses very small 10x10 pixel tiles (though a 20x20 version is also available) in an attempt to solve this problem. So that it remains possible to interpret such small tiles, RetroDays uses a retro-inspired style reminiscent of the Commodore 64 era.

RetroDays is my personal continuation of HRose’s unfinished ‘Retro/ASCII’ tileset, which in turn is based on Trihook’s ‘c= roguelike charset’. (Links in Credits section.) I too have drawn from Trihook’s charset, in addition to making my own new tiles.

Note that RetroDays is usually targeted at the latest stable version of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (CDDA). You may see the occasional missing tile if you’re using an experimental version of CDDA.

===============
2. Requirements

========================
3. INSTALLATION/UNINSTALLATION

Installation

• Extract the contents of the RetroDays.7z archive file to your base CDDA directory (which contains the game’s .exe).

• Merge/overwrite files and folders if asked.

• If using a post-0.A experimental version of CDDA:
    — Open CDDA\gfx\RetroDaysTileset10\tileset.txt for editing.
    — Remove ‘gfx/’ from the start of the path on the JSON and TILESET lines, so that those lines look like this:

JSON: RetroDaysTileset10/tile_config.json
TILESET: RetroDaysTileset10/retrodaystiles10.png

— Repeat this process in CDDA\gfx\RetroDaysTileset20\tileset.txt.

A Note on Updating

• If you see an option for ‘RetroDays’ in your game’s tileset options (as opposed to ‘RetroDays10px’ or ‘RetroDays20px’), that’s from an older version of this tileset and can be deleted. To do so:

• Delete the [RetroDaysTileset] directory from your CDDA\gfx\ directory.

Uninstallation

• In-game, switch to a different tileset.

• Delete the [RetroDaysTileset10] and [RetroDaysTileset20] directories from your CDDA\gfx\ directory.

=====================
4. PLAYING THE MOD

In the game’s Display options, enable tilesets and select the RetroDays10px or RetroDays20px tileset.

===============
5. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

None yet!

===============
6. SAVE GAMES

N/A as far as I know.

============================
7. CONFLICTS / KNOWN ISSUES

• As mentioned in the Description section, RetroDays is targeted at the latest stable version of CDDA. Some objects may appear as missing tiles if you’re using an experimental version of the game.

• Artifacts may appear as missing tiles. Due to the way the game handles these, I haven’t found how to define tiles for them yet.

• I make RetroDays with 10x10 pixel tiles, and this is the version I use when playing the game. The 20x20 version is simply the 10x10 version scaled up, and I don’t really test it myself.

================================
8. CREDITS

==========================
9. PERMISSIONS

==========================
10. CONTACT AND INFORMATION

My e-mail address is josephlollback@hotmail.com

=========================
11. LEGAL STUFF/ DISCLAIMER

By downloading and using this modification, you agree that the author of the modification cannot be held responsible for any damage to software or hardware directly or indirectly caused by the aforementioned modification. Use at your own risk, basically.

=================
12. VERSION HISTORY

Version 1.0 (16-04-14)

• Calling this version 1.0 now since it’s finished for the current stable version of CDDA (v0.A).
  • From here on out, RetroDays’ version numbers are not intended to match those of CDDA itself.
  • All CDDA 0.A stable tiles now accounted for (barring artifacts), plus a few bonus tiles for the current experimental.

Version 0.A WIP (13-03-14)

• Moved to CDDA 0.A stable as the target.
  • Still heavily in-progress; updates may not get their own entry here until things settle down.

Version 0.9 WIP (24-02-14)

• Initial public release.
  • Still heavily in-progress; updates may not get their own entry here until things settle down.
1 Like

Okay, a bit later than I thought, but here it is. Since this is the first CDDA mod on the Nexus, there was a waiting period while the moderators approved the addition of CDDA to their system.

I’ll update the download package there as I work on the tileset, but while this is still so heavily in-progress I may not always bump this thread when I do; we’ll see! The date on the download will always update in that case, though.

The Nexus?

Yes; as in Nexus Mods - where the download is hosted. Traditionally better known as TES Nexus, FO3 Nexus, Skyrim Nexus, etc - but relatively recently opened up to mods for any game.

Ohh. Interesting. I love the stuff you added, though!

Unfortunately I cannot download from the nexus since I don’t have an account and I don’t have scripts enabled for that site. It has, in the past, been suspected of infecting systems with malicious code via banner ads although I suspect that’s been fixed since then. But it has happened a few times - seems to happen every few years or so… so I won’t take that risk.

Could you put the files up at some other location?

[quote=“whiran, post:6, topic:5201”]Unfortunately I cannot download from the nexus since I don’t have an account and I don’t have scripts enabled for that site. It has, in the past, been suspected of infecting systems with malicious code via banner ads although I suspect that’s been fixed since then. But it has happened a few times - seems to happen every few years or so… so I won’t take that risk.

Could you put the files up at some other location?[/quote]

Oh yes, I think I remember that; something about advertising companies contracting to other companies who contracted to other companies and somewhere in there a malicious ad got in. It didn’t affect me because I always use Ad-block.

That was years ago, though. I’ve been using the Nexus sites every day for years and years (since I have a bunch of mods hosted there) - with scripts enabled - and have never had a problem. Millions of people do the same thing; it’s a phenomenally popular place.

Chances are very good that you’ll be fine, basically.

Partially for the benefit of anyone else reading; you don’t need an account to download mods from the Nexus (and the accounts are free, in any case). Unless you need to be logged in for especially big files; not sure. Maybe that’s something they used to do but don’t anymore. Can’t remember.

Definitely not for RetroDays anyway; I logged out and downloaded it just now as a test. You may very well need scripts enabled though, yes; I’ve never needed to disable them, like I said, so I’m not sure.

As for alternate download locations; we’ll see. Maybe once this is more or less a complete version and I’m not updating it all the time. I know from experience that maintaining multiple download locations for mods is a massive time-sink.

Tileset is pretty amazing, even if it’s just an adaptation. The perfect middle-ground between ASCII and legitimate ‘graphics’. Much appreciated.

1. Can someone who doesn’t have an account at Nexus download it?
  2. You might be interested to know that 0.A will allow zooming in and out!
  1. Yes - I mentioned this in my previous post, actually.

2. Sounds interesting; I’ll have to check out what’s going in 0.A… once I find where the info on it is. I’m fairly new here, obviously. :slight_smile:

And thanks everyone.

This looks fantastic, thanks for putting it up.

http://ci.narc.ro/view/Cataclysm-DDA/job/Cataclysm-Matrix/

Thanks - I also found the 0.A changelog here which is a handy summary.

I’ve updated RetroDays; same download link. A few fixes, added a bunch of stuff for hotels (and probably elsewhere I’d imagine), added various items, made electricity multitile… and probably some things I’m forgetting.

Antistar,

This looks great! I can’t wait to try it. However, for some reason, I’m unable to download from nexusmods. I keep getting an error when I’m downloading. Would it be possible to accommodate us who are having difficulties by uploading it to a different server? I assume I’m not the only one since there are a lot of views, but only so few actual downloads on the page. That would be greatly appreciated. I’m really looking forward to trying your modifications.

Caeous

[quote=“Caeous, post:14, topic:5201”]Antistar,

This looks great! I can’t wait to try it. However, for some reason, I’m unable to download from nexusmods. I keep getting an error when I’m downloading. Would it be possible to accommodate us who are having difficulties by uploading it to a different server? I assume I’m not the only one since there are a lot of views, but only so few actual downloads on the page. That would be greatly appreciated. I’m really looking forward to trying your modifications.

Caeous[/quote]

I was able to download it once from there without an account but when trying to do so again I had to make an account otherwise it kept giving me an error saying servers may be having issues or possibly the download link had an error etc.

Making an account just takes a minute even though I know some people rather not do so for just one thing but this fixed it for me.

Personally, I think the best solution would be for this tileset to be added to mainline.

Good point.

The Nexus is kind of a victim of its own success… and also of Skyrim’s success; ever since that game came out, they’ve had a lot of server problems, on the weekends in particular. The servers (and they do have a lot of servers to choose from) giving an error only when not logged in is pretty strange; I tested it just now and I got the same thing - unlike the last time I tested.

High views, ‘low’ downloads is the norm though; you’ll see the same thing if you look at my other mods on there. People are just checking it out to see if it’s for them.

Anyway, I don’t really like using temporary download locations because they’re just that, but until the Nexus calms down, here we go:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/odtg6r

As for including RetroDays in mainline: I’m pretty new here and am still learning the ins and outs of how CDDA is made, modded and contributed to, so I feel like I probably don’t know exactly what ‘adding something to mainline’ entails.

If it just means including it in the experimental builds - and later on in a stable build - then I’m fine with that personally (though again I’d need to learn how; it’s been years since I’ve used TortoiseSVN or what-have-you). I seem to recall Granade saying in HRose’s thread though that we’d need to be sure that Trihook’s charset was released under an appropriate Creative Commons license, since this draws from it. Trihook seemed difficult to contact; I think Gryph was trying to track him down, but I don’t know what happened there.

Also - RetroDays isn’t finished yet, of course.

You could just upload it on mediafire.

It just occurred to me; even if this isn’t ready for mainline yet, you could always just make your own GitHub project just for the tileset. It would be easy for people to access, all they would have to do is click the “Download Zip” button, and throw it in their Cata folder. It would also be easier for you to update; just make changes and push them to the project, no temp storage sites or anything.