[Spoilers] We are the Mycus. Join us

you forgot “owo”

What is happening outside? What is that noise? OMG IT IS SO BRIGHT. I @#$@#%$@?~>…

O hai Mycus pls buff ur mutations kk tanks bai. - Survivur.

Seriously, right now you are better off with marloss carrier for endless food and water while pursuing a different threshold.

Yesss, it would please us if we had more power to…colonize this world.

If fungifying enemies would be enabled as an unarmed bonus attack like claws, maybe?

For The Emperor!!

Burn The Heretic,
[glow=red,2,300]Kill The Mutant,[/glow]
Purge The Unclean!

You forgot any mention of xenos, which the Mycus technically would be,

Where did the inspiration for Marloss come from, anyway?

We would like to know that, yessss.

Whales, I believe. Marloss berries are one of those really old things that has been in the game for forever in one form or another. On the other hand if you’re talking about why Marloss berries are part of the Mycus, I was the one who coded that based on an old connection where Marloss berries used to only spawn near fungal portals. I just expanded the connection and helped get the lore ball rolling, and it sorta wrote itself from that point on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Which I would assume be part of fleshing out existing monsters into more factions, since the Mycus are no longer conflated with the blob, I would assume this implies the Marloss has lost its form association with the Nether.

Yeah, it’s definitely a pure Mycal thing now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though it’s possible he meant where’d the idea, the inspiration, for the Marloss come from. In which case, I…we have no idea.

We might have to ask Whales. Just how old is old?

marloss berries predate me working on the project, so yea, oooold.

So Whales old, then. Doesn’t he have a tumblr we can contact him with?

Definitely would be interesting to see the inspiration that led to adding them, yeah. While the Mycus in general started off giving a cordyceps vibe, and now they seem like part cordyceps, part Mycon, and a few other things, I’m not sure what the Marloss berries are referencing, if anything.

Are there some kind of special mechanics to be gained via the Mycus path, or is this basically just… generic mutations randomly given? Because if it’s the latter, that’s not much for motivation to go fungal.

“Mycus” makes me think of the byrum from Dreamcatcher (just got done reading it, so it was the first thing that popped into my head, and now I will think of all fungaloids as Mr. Grays). Does becoming one with the mycus provide the ability to mutate other creatures into fungaloids and create a minion army?

Stuff that would be cool for going down this path:

• Create fungaloids.
  • Be able to construct/seed fungal pillars at ground level and build structures out of them.
  • In Dreamcatcher, Mr. Gray had telepathic control over people, made one dude jab a pencil up his nostril and into his brain, another bash in his head against a cement wall, etc. That might be kind of extreme, but it WOULD be cool if you could “seed” hostile creatures with your spores and then use the still-growing mycus within their body to exert pain and/or injury on them.

I assume it’s due to the path not yet being fleshed out extensively. So far it’s just a set of mutations, with one major fork in the mutation tree.

The fact that they’re gained over time is at least different compared to chugging mutation, but it does make it a lot simpler.

The only problem with the mycus is that you will end up with 1*10^9999999 fungaloids around you. I end up killing them at some point but they are always back, I used to keep sound dampeners on because the noise was really annoying.

pouf

That’s part of the Fun though.

I should mod something Mycus-like into Dwarf Fortress…