Rob Gronkowski shot a minigun without mounting it. We should be able to do it as well

No one is saying you wouldn’t gain any muscle mass at all, they (and I) are saying you wouldn’t be gaining the kind of muscle mass Rob Gronkowski is showing off in the linked video. You don’t get to that level of strength by just doing random activities as opportunities arise, it takes a huge time and energy dedication to gain and maintain that kind of phisique. High-tier student and pro athletes spend from 20-40 hours a week training, and that’s focused exercise and practice, not random, if strenuous tasks.

2 Likes

The funny thing is we can track the exercise of a survivor via the calorie tracker since it also includes the amount of time spend on exercise.

The Blob accelerates healing, doesn’t it? That’s why it only takes a few days to recover from a broken limb. If that’s the case, you should be able to build muscle like Gronk in months, not years, as your muscle cells will regenerate much faster after they are damaged by use, meaning there is no need for down time and gains are massively accelerated.

1 Like

Nope, it mysteriously doesn’t work on muscle repair the same way.

If it did work indiscriminately on any tissue damage as opposed to trauma, I wonder what havoc it’d wreck on the digestive system, particularly stomach linings.

As for dude with the minigun, its neat that he can, at peak physical performance, somewhat manage a minigun and bare minimum clothing. I’m pretty sure just having him carry the big ass ammo can and what looks like the couple car batteries strapped onto the bottom of it (Electrically driven, after all) would be too much, and the poor guy would probably go over and end up like a turtle. It is exceptionally difficult to keep balanced when you have tens of kilograms of gear strapped above your waistline, and I can imagine doubly so when your bones are shaking loose and you have the mother of all recoil impulses pushing you back.

I guess that means that you would not have the use of any of your muscles after taking any serious damage, meaning you cannot move or fight :stuck_out_tongue: lol

1 Like

What strenght value would he about have in the game than we can roughly determine what kind of survivor (or more likely mutant) we would need. I’m guesing in the 12-14 strength range.

I think 12 STR is peak physical form for a normal human. Could be wrong though.

Here’s the problem with having the feature at all. It requires special handling and therefore implementation and maintenance for an incredibly niche feature that doesn’t meaningfully impact the game.

In this case you’re talking about allowing a very niche character to fire an incredibly rare gun that it’s super hard to supply with ammo in an incredibly ineffective way. I’m just not interested in building out a feature to support that use case. I have a finite amount of time to build and maintain features, and this doesn’t even come close to making the cut.

If you want support for a meme-tier use case like this, hack it in with a mod.

4 Likes

Average survivor does not do these things. What is your point?

Jesse Ventura fired a “minigun” in the movie Predator - except it wasn’t, it was a specially built weapon with the fire rate reduced from 6000 RPM to 1250 RPM and he had to fire blanks to keep upright. Fun read: https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Old_Painless

Real person + real minigun? No way.

I would like to point out that the mechanic pointed out here (strong characters near or over the human maximum being able to act as their own bipod/brace) has impact beyond this niche case. There’s a bunch of vehicle/squad weapons that could be hodded like this. Further to the point, in C:DDA, this is NOT a niche case at all. Bionics and mutations can take a human well over the peak unaugmented limit of strength, etc. Plus, powered armor - it’s made for this kind of thing.
It’s frustrating when people take the ‘realism’ message to heart, point out things that are in fact possible in reality, provide evidence of these things, and are told that it’s a ‘niche case’ and to hack it in with a mod. It promotes the perception that ‘realism’ only is adhered to in cases where it inconveniences the player, which I know CAN’T be the end goal.
I agree entirely that it’s not a high priority, and there’s a laundry list of things that are much, MUCH more important than it. But if someone pops up to PR this with the necessary code, don’t dismiss it out of hand, OK? You’ve got proof, you’ve got rationale, it works within the parameters of the game, so it’s fine. If someone has the passion to code it and submit it, let them.

3 Likes

Except there are will never be proofs that average survivor would ever can handle firing minigun barehanded.

Except this isn’t discussing average survivors. This is discussing survivors who are definitely MORE than average, unless your definition of ‘average’ is skewed terribly. You have proof, in that video, that an unaugmented human at or near peak performance can do the action. Your response is unhelpful, and you are clearly trying to argue for arguments sake. I’m not going to play that game with you.

3 Likes

Except you have nothing resembling proof. What you have is someone that can do a heavily reduced version of the action you’re describing. In the video he’s not carrying the power supply, he’s not carrying the ammunition. Those are part of the weapons system. If it’s not feasible to also carry those it’s not feasible to do the action and I’m not going to waste my time either by writing code or reviewing and accepting code to add in a completely useless activities such as being able to stand next to a power and ammo supply station and fire the gun like this unbraced when it would also be completely useless accuracy wise when in reality all you would do would be to throw the damn thing on a mount and have everything actually work.

Even if you throw mutations or cybernetics or power suits into the mix, a minigun is not a viable target, it is simply not a person-scale weapon.

If you’re targeting something closer to a M1917, that’s a lot closer to feasible to carry and fire, but you need to understand something, if you’re not firing over sights, you’re throwing away a ton of mostly-irreplaceable ammunition. So for the scenario in DDA, anything that results in, “character can point gun in the right direction and fire it” is not a meaningful use of the weapon.

There’s a handy power supply called the UPS, which is wearable. Unless that’s not in the game anymore. It can run energy weapons, and industrial hardware like jackhammers, cycling a mini gun barrel is inconsequential by comparison. Extended engagement? Not really, but it’s not meant for that if you’re using it for military purposes that assume resupply.
OK, so you can’t rip off a 20mm cannon from its mount (metaphorically) and shoot it, too unwieldy, your accuracy is crap. Fine. You already have actions and gear in the game that allow the player to make choices like that. As in, you can DO it, but it’s kinda dumb and a waste of time. In the past you’ve stated things to that effect for comparison between things like guns and unarmed or melee (AKA, guns are better, period, that’s not changing).
If the techs behind powered armor could make accessories like the hauling frame, then modified heavy weapons meant to take advantage of PA’s mass and bracing are simple by comparison and would already be in production because you could modify existing designs. None of that is beyond current real world tech. Amounts of ammunition, sure, that’s going to be limited based on carrying capacity, but again, caseless ammo (which is high end gear, and still in the game) in a specialized ammo hopper meant to mount on the PA does a lot to alleviate that.
Will it be common? No. Would it be findable in the same dangerous places PA can be found in? Of course, it’s bleeding edge gear. It’d fit with the meta of the game that looting is the way to get your best gear, it’d make PA more useful, it’s a win. It also fits into the game reality nicely. And a PA heavy weapon could be rigged up to be carried by a big-ass mutant like post-threshold Ursine. That would be crafting to make a harness and sufficient proficiency to engineer the supports for your back (like a hiking pack).
Again, I have no expectation that anyone on the team, much less you, will implement this. But it’s something that someone else could easily code together. It’d work for Aftershock, if nothing else, because Aftershock runs on cyberpunk and man-pack weapons are a time honored tradition in the genre. So if someone stepped up for the code to be added in for one of the core supported/hosted mods, you would still automatically dismiss it out of hand? You, as a developer, couldn’t think of other uses for the kind of coding that would let a character do that?

1 Like

What makes you think iy would work for Aftershock?

Long periods of playing CP2020 where material science and engineering allowed man-portable 20mm cannons along with a bunch of more exotic weapons designed for combat 'borgs and powered armor. Aftershock has metamaterial and a much higher tech base, as well as more common uplifts/gene mods that could benefit from custom made weapons to take advantage of their size. Obviously it’d be up to the Aftershock folks.
At this point, I’m just providing ideas for people who want to make mods. So if someone else comes looking for this idea, the idea of heavy vehicle weapons being man portable and fireable by augmented humans is only going to be seen in the game via modding. Don’t worry about trying to PR it, it won’t be accepted.

Let’s not find proofs for DDA in board games. It is ridiculous.

As I said previously, I am not going to play troll games with you. This behavior is why you got modsmacked on the CDDA Reddit.