RetroDays Tileset

It was like that when I got here. ;p

To an extent, anyway. When I started adding to HRose’s Retro/ASCII tileset, there were a number of unused tile spots in the png. I then created more by making a number of the json entries point at the same spot; no point having ten or twenty identical tiles for all the different types of clear liquid, for example. I’m filling in the blank spots as I go.

Thanks for putting up the ASCII-padded version. It’s a shame that category-fallback stuff didn’t make it into CDDA 0.A.

And as for the Nexus download… it’s working properly for me, logged in or not. That was downloading from servers in the UK when I’m in Australia (which doesn’t have the greatest broadband infrastructure). Maybe try some different servers, if you didn’t already. Is anyone else having problems with it?

I have started on adding tiles for CDDA 0.A now; so far, all the new zombies have tiles. Also, what I’d thought (based on the videos I’d seen) was something new with corpses or something was actually just all zombies dropping underwear when they die - underwear which doesn’t have a tile yet.

I just released another update, with some initial CDDA 0.A stable stuff added; the new zombie types and a few items.

On top of that, there are new tiles for various creatures (notably Triffids), structures (stone and root walls, ladders, slopes) and ammo/resource items. Explosions too, but those may need to change again; they were behaving oddly in 0.9 (unlike how multitiles usually behave).

Any chance for a mirror? I mean really, you’ve got 20 unique downloads on Nexus - I’m sure more people would use it if they could download it.

Yeesh - anyone would think the Nexus was a warez site run on a 486 with a 33.6 dial-up connection, based on this thread. ;p

I had a look and the 20 is for unique downloads (and just for the latest version), which is always much lower than actual downloads for whatever reason. I mean, unless everyone that downloaded it did so three times. :wink: ‘Actual’ downloads is usually somewhere between the unique and total download stats.

So it’s still not working for you? No-one else has reported any problems. In any case, yeah, I can put up a temporary download again if it’s really needed. I’m probably putting out another update tomorrow, so I’ll do it then with the new version.

I’ve got Kaspersky running interference on any ads and banners the site may be employing, so that might have something to do with it. I tried disabling the Anti-Banner module, but that had no effect. My guess is that my Russian IP is the more likely culprit.

Works for me running adblock plus in firefox 15 and 27:

Click green download (manual) button at top of the page.
Scroll to main files.
Click RetroDays Tileset 13-03-14 or 'download manually’
Pick a normal server (not premium server)
Download pops up automatically
No account required.

Could be something with your ISP/browser perhaps… but cannot imagine what to be honest.

Suggestion about the update/release of RetroDays Tileset:

In the tileset description in game as well as folder naming schemes, it might be useful to call it something like RetroDays_10 or RetroDays 20x20. That way both versions could exist side by side if a user wanted to try them out. It might also simplify the extraction process if the installation instructions were simply “Copy the RetroDays_20 folder to your \cataclysm\gfx\ folder.” rather than to open up the folder you want and then extract the \gfx\ folder to the base cataclysm folder and hope that the user or their decompression program got it right and didnt create an extra directory.

Being able open the base \GFX\ folder and copy either or both the RetroDays_10 and RetroDays_20 folders in from the zip with no other fiddling would certainly be easier for most users. The current instructions seem a bit overly complicated and leave potential for the installation to go wrong.

Suggestion for zip structure:
Retrodays.zip\RetroDaysTileset_10x10\all files needed to make it work, including extra readme instructions, credits, and version/release date information.
Retrodays.zip\RetroDaysTileset_20x20\all files needed to make it work, including extra readme instructions, credits, and version/release date information.

Suggestion for installation instructions:
Copy the RetroDaysTileset folder you wish to use into your \Cataclysm\GFX\ folder.

I made some missing tiles, feel free to use them in tileset, if you like. You can ignore .json files and take only .png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18187861/CataTilesetStudio/RetroDaysTileset20Diff.7z

I’ve been meaning to ask: has there been some change to the licensing requirements for this? A friend who uses the experimental builds of CDDA told me just recently that RetroDays had been added to experimental. (I looked and it a version HRose had altered and added his ASCII fallback stuff to.) Was someone able to get in touch with Trihook? I did try to contact him (here, since what he said sounded promising, sort of), but haven’t heard back yet.

It’s not something that bothers me - to clarify - it just seems different to what Kevin was saying earlier. The commit I saw looked to have been made by Kevin, actually.

[quote=“Ratha, post:47, topic:5201”]Suggestion about the update/release of RetroDays Tileset:

[snip][/quote]

I was tossing up a few different ways to package it. Two separate downloads, or together with the user choosing as it is now, or the way you’re suggesting here.

I didn’t want to clutter up the user’s in-game tileset options menu too much, but I do like the idea of the user being able to switch from one to the other on the fly in-game.

Does anyone else have any preferences for this sort of thing?

[quote=“Robik, post:48, topic:5201”]I made some missing tiles, feel free to use them in tileset, if you like. You can ignore .json files and take only .png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18187861/CataTilesetStudio/RetroDaysTileset20Diff.7z[/quote]

Thanks. :slight_smile: I had a look and it’s actually all stuff I’ve already added myself, or I can’t use because it was made for 20x20 exclusively, or is for stuff not in the stable version yet. But yes; thanks though.

I ended up with installing both to try them. I am using 20x20 now, because of zoom-out function, I would be using 10x10 if such function was not available.

Thanks. :) I had a look and it's actually all stuff I've already added myself, or I can't use because it was made for 20x20 exclusively, or is for stuff not in the stable version yet. But yes; thanks though.

I tried! :slight_smile:
Looking forward to your new version then.

Okay, the update is out. Here’s an alternate temporary download too for anyone who has trouble with the Nexus:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u6ulk5

Still focusing on new stuff in CDDA 0.A; new tiles for vehicles, items, clothes, furniture, weapons. Not all of any of those things yet; just things I was seeing around a lot.

I haven’t changed the way the download is packaged at this stage; maybe next time. People should feel free to let me know if they have preferences on this, like I said before.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong about some of your tiles there not being in stable yet, Robik; I just killed my first spider in 0.A and it has ‘bug blood’, like one of your tiles. Sorry about that.

Thing is, I’m using the Missing Tile Checker and it didn’t report those new blood splatter types. I’ve been looking around the json files myself too and I can’t find them anywhere. Where did you get those from?

It is one of the hardcoded ‘system tiles’ as I call them.

Full (hopefully) list of these is here: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5614.msg97434#msg97434

Great; thanks.

I just heard back from Trihook about the license on his 1 bit roguelike tileset:

The licence you propose is agreeable. I'd like to add that you don't need to credit me, nor do you need to release your derivate tileset under the same licence. You can use this email as proof that I have licenced you my tileset under the CC BY-SA 4.0 licence. On a side note - have a good day! \o/

So that’s good news. :slight_smile: RetroDays can be added to mainline without a problem then I guess - like people suggested. Again though; I’m a little foggy on exactly what that entails…

Just wanted to say i picked up Cataclysm recently and after going through tilesets, i stuck with this one. Really sets a great mood for the game and it looks great.

I have done a bit of pixelart in the past, is this getting developed alone strictly or can anyone add to it if it gets approved?

I’ve been pretty busy lately and unable to work on this as much as I’d like, but I just updated the tileset with what I’ve done. Here’s a temporary download too:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wt1mug

The usual mish-mash of fixes, new creatures, items, effects, etc - along with a suggestion made by Trihook: the player character now faces one way and all other creatures face the other. Just an extra visual hint as to who is who.

[quote=“Cosmitz, post:55, topic:5201”]Just wanted to say i picked up Cataclysm recently and after going through tilesets, i stuck with this one. Really sets a great mood for the game and it looks great.

I have done a bit of pixelart in the past, is this getting developed alone strictly or can anyone add to it if it gets approved?[/quote]

Thanks - and although I am still working on RetroDays myself, it’s released under a CC-BY-SA license. :slight_smile:

Thank you for working on the tileset.

Also, here is my slightly altered 20x20 version of you last update for latest experimental (1270). It contains zoose, zolf and zougar monster tiles, dahlia and bluebell flower tiles, all stages for planted plants tiles and few other insignificant tiles.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18187861/CataTilesetStudio/RetroDaysTileset20.zip

Cool. I think I’ll put those plant stages in myself (10x10 pixels though) and those flowers and zombie animals since it sounds like they can be simple recolours.

I really like this tileset. The fact that you managed to draw tiles as small as 10×10 pixels is really useful, as I can see very large portions of the playfield at once.

I have one small request: Please change the distribution of this tileset in such a way that it is possible to select either version (10×10 or 20×20) from the game.
I already did that for myself. I have two folders, RetroDaysTileset10 and RetroDaysTileset20. Then I edited the tileset.txt to make them distinguishable. Their view names are RetroDays10 and RetroDays20, respectively. It is much more convenient to be able to select either version than to have to manually change the folders each time.

Excellent Tileset!