RetroDays Tileset

I managed to download the tileset by signing up to the nexusmods site as instructed. Great work! I love how almost everything as an icon.

I just updated the tileset. Added some things related to farms, science labs, fungi, traps, tents, various creatures and items, and made desks, counters and tables multitile. The Nexus download has been updated, and here’s a temporary one too:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xu32db

To be fair, clicking download and throwing it in the CDDA folder is the process for using the Nexus download too. :wink: When the Nexus is working, anyway - and it does more often than not; just some bad timing here. I don’t know what’s up with it throwing up an error when you’re not logged in though; it wasn’t doing that the other day, like I said. I’ve reported the issue to site staff there.

Anyway, I will probably at least look into GitHub.

Thanks. :slight_smile: Ideally everything will have a graphical tile eventually.

So I did a video with your tileset. I liked the Retro/ASCII tileset its based off of and I like it as well so I will probably continue to use it. Keep up the good work. I like what you have done so far.

To be clear, the ONLY thing keeping this tileset out of the main distribution is the licensing issue, the fact is most resources are not clearly licensed, and the only odd thing here is that we actually respect them :confused:
Having said that, do you know if you’ve perhaps replaced all the tiles at this point?
If you have it should be fine to include.

Cool; I’ll check it out in a bit. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:24, topic:5201”]To be clear, the ONLY thing keeping this tileset out of the main distribution is the licensing issue, the fact is most resources are not clearly licensed, and the only odd thing here is that we actually respect them :confused:
Having said that, do you know if you’ve perhaps replaced all the tiles at this point?
If you have it should be fine to include.[/quote]

I think most of what I’ve added is my own work, but no, I’ve actually added more stuff from Trihook’s charset compared to where HRose was up to. From memory HRose made this point too, but changing those particular tiles enough for them to no longer be derivative is sort of tough with only 10x10 pixels to work with.

I can have a go at contacting Trihook, though.

[quote=“Antistar, post:25, topic:5201”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:24, topic:5201”]To be clear, the ONLY thing keeping this tileset out of the main distribution is the licensing issue, the fact is most resources are not clearly licensed, and the only odd thing here is that we actually respect them :confused:
If you have it should be fine to include.[/quote]

…but changing those particular tiles enough for them to no longer be derivative is sort of tough with only 10x10 pixels to work with…[/quote]

If that is the case, does really make sense to apply licensing policy for such works? I mean, would you stop people using white dot in the middle of black square, because someone did it first? Of course, I am not saying that it is the case for all tiles in the tileset, but maybe some cannot be drawn much differently without inferior results. It’s more of a question for Kevin though…

I’m not much of one for tilesets, but this one just looks amazing! Nice work!

Thanks - though obviously I can’t take all the credit. :slight_smile:

I watched akhier’s video and noticed that unsurprisingly there are some missing tiles when using RetroDays with CDDA 0.A stable - so this is where I’m up to:

I mentioned in HRose’s thread that I’m fairly new to Cataclysm; my first character lasted about twenty minutes, but my second character is still going, so I’m effectively on my first playthrough of the game. I’m trying not to spoil things for myself too much, so I’ve mainly been adding tiles for things as I come across them - for 0.9 stable because that’s what I’ve been playing.

These tiles need to be there for 0.A too - so it’s not wasted effort or anything - but there’ll be a few noticeable missing tiles in 0.A (e.g. new zombie types) until I catch up. I’m really looking forward to trying 0.A, but I want to finish up with my current character first, ideally.

This tileset gives me an extremely large erection. Thank you. Thank you, so much.

I made a video too but then I’ve been using HRose’s/whoever takes credit for this now tileset for a long while lol. I like it, I will use it and I will use whichever is more complete at any given time, such is the extent of my loyalty haha. I love the tradeoff between old schooliness and clarity.

Okay, I released another update. The Nexus download has been updated, and they seem to have fixed the error-when-not-logged-in issue now, so a separate temporary download shouldn’t be necessary. If anyone has problems though, let me know.

In the update I tidied up and fixed some things, added multitiles for a bunch of things (pits of various kinds, wooden and barred walls, fences of various kinds), added a few items and added several creatures. Probably some other things I’m forgetting for now, as usual.

Nice; I’m somewhat addicted to LPs, so I might have to check yours out. :slight_smile:

Zombie dogs and Fatzombies seem to be showing up as the unknown symbol for me, which is the same symbol corpses use…

It gets really confusing when I think a corpse is moving itself.

Those are new things in CDDA 0.A (compared to 0.9). I mentioned where I’m up to with 0.9 vs 0.A towards the bottom of the previous page.

Things like that (new zombies, whatever’s changed with corpses, etc) are at the top of my list once I get to 0.A, though.

If you’d like, I can pad your set with ASCII so people don’t get the unknown tiles.
That’s how I used to use it. (now I play full ASCII tile)

It would be pretty awesome if you could do that, actually.

Main reason I’m not just using ASCII is because 10x10 or 12x12 is just a bit too small for my liking eyes, so this tileset (in 20x20) really is ideal.

[quote=“Nighthawk, post:35, topic:5201”]It would be pretty awesome if you could do that, actually.

Main reason I’m not just using ASCII is because 10x10 or 12x12 is just a bit too small for my liking eyes, so this tileset (in 20x20) really is ideal.[/quote]Sure thing! Let me just… uh… crap. Can somebody please mirror the archive from a non-anti-Russian site? Because Nexusmods hates me.

[quote=“Sean Mirrsen, post:36, topic:5201”][quote=“Nighthawk, post:35, topic:5201”]It would be pretty awesome if you could do that, actually.

Main reason I’m not just using ASCII is because 10x10 or 12x12 is just a bit too small for my liking eyes, so this tileset (in 20x20) really is ideal.[/quote]Sure thing! Let me just… uh… crap. Can somebody please mirror the archive from a non-anti-Russian site? Because Nexusmods hates me.[/quote]

Here you go, let me know when you get it, I will delete it on my end after… https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18187861/RetroDays%20Tileset%2009-03-14-1-0-9.7z

Edit: link no longer valid

[quote=“Sean Mirrsen, post:34, topic:5201”]If you’d like, I can pad your set with ASCII so people don’t get the unknown tiles.
That’s how I used to use it. (now I play full ASCII tile)[/quote]

Well I certainly don’t mind. :slight_smile: From skimming the thread/s where you were talking about your process for that though, it sounded kind of time-consuming - and I am still regularly updating this. So, y’know; don’t feel obligated to do it, either.

Ugh - what is it doing now? For what it’s worth, they did fix that other issue because I reported it.

Oh - also, I’m thinking I may start adding tiles for CDDA 0.A stuff today, even. I have been enjoying my current character in 0.9, but he seems sort of unstoppable now; I’ve been wandering around looking for new things to explore… but I can do that in 0.A too (along with having all the fixes and new things).

[quote=“Robik, post:37, topic:5201”]Here you go, let me know when you get it, I will delete it on my end after… https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18187861/RetroDays%20Tileset%2009-03-14-1-0-9.7z[/quote]Okay, I got it now - thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Antistar, post:38, topic:5201”][quote=“Sean Mirrsen, post:34, topic:5201”]If you’d like, I can pad your set with ASCII so people don’t get the unknown tiles.
That’s how I used to use it. (now I play full ASCII tile)[/quote]

Well I certainly don’t mind. :slight_smile: From skimming the thread/s where you were talking about your process for that though, it sounded kind of time-consuming - and I am still regularly updating this. So, y’know; don’t feel obligated to do it, either.[/quote]Nah, it’s anything but time-consuming, that was the whole point of the feature.

Just load the tileset, click “Add missing tiles”, then “Generate ASCII tiles (with BG)”. It prompts you for which tiles you want (in the current unreleased version, at least), and if you point it to the right sheet it just fills everything out. Eight clicks tops. :slight_smile: Most of the work comes from getting the program itself done to that point.

A question for you, Antistar. Does your tileset .png file have lots of extra room, with tiles you have pictures for but not .json definitions? Because either it’s that or Chase’s tileset editor has some problems reading existing tilesets. Because a lot of the “generic” ASCII-like tiles from your png are missing in the resulting output.

Anyways, here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4152380/RetroDaysTileset.zip
That should work.

Ugh - what is it doing [i]now[/i]? For what it's worth, they did fix that other issue because I reported it.
Same thing as usual, can't download anything. "Error - download down". I am, of course, not registered there, but there's nothing in the error message about needing to be registered, so...

edit: Oops, hold on. I had modified colors loaded in the editor for testing. If you downloaded the archive before this point, download again.

My Tileset Studio (fancy name eh? :slight_smile: ) thinks so as well, plenty of unused tiles, both empty and with some art in them.