RetroDays Tileset

Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:59, topic:5201”]I have one small request: Please change the distribution of this tileset in such a way that it is possible to select either version (10×10 or 20×20) from the game.
I already did that for myself. I have two folders, RetroDaysTileset10 and RetroDaysTileset20. Then I edited the tileset.txt to make them distinguishable. Their view names are RetroDays10 and RetroDays20, respectively. It is much more convenient to be able to select either version than to have to manually change the folders each time.[/quote]

A few people have requested that now, so I’ll probably do that in the next update.

I just released another update to RetroDays. Temporary alternate download:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e967fb

Note that I did change the way it’s packaged, like people were requesting. Now you can choose from the 10x10 and 20x20 versions in the game’s tileset options; more info in the readme.

Lots of new stuff this time; almost all the (previously) missing tiles are taken care of now. All creatures, food, weapons and clothes items (barring martial arts clothes from whichever mod that is) have tiles now. There’s a number of other things besides, too, including the things from experimental that Robik mentioned.

Still a bit to go, but not too much. After taking care of the rest of the missing tiles, I’m still planning to replace all the remaining ‘ASCII’ tiles with graphical ones.

Are these updates being auto-published with the experimental downloads, or is the experimental using a fairly out of date version of the tileset?

Unless someone else has been adding it to experimental, the version it has is out of date, yes. I’ve been using CDDA 0.A stable myself; the last time I looked at an experimental download, it had a version of RetroDays that had been edited to use the ASCII fallback stuff HRose was working on.

Here’s something I’ve been wondering: does anyone know how to define tiles for artifacts? They’re another thing I can’t find in the json files or pick up using Missing Tile Checker.

Okay, as far as I know, all previously missing tiles have been taken care of now - for CDDA 0.A stable, and barring artifacts because I still don’t know how to define those. I’m guessing they’re not exposed in the json files. Here’s the update, anyway:

Next up I’ll make graphical tiles for the remaining items that were just given ASCII in HRose’s Retro/ASCII tileset.

Oh, and here’s a picture, because why not:

That’s it; RetroDays is now up to date with CDDA 0.A stable! RetroDays is at v1.0 now (not intended to match CDDA version numbers):

All objects in 0.A - plus a few in experimental - have graphical tiles now. (Excepting artifacts; I still don’t know how to find those.) I also changed the female player and NPC tiles; they really did look like a fish before. I’ve been meaning to do that for a while.

I was checking out a recent experimental version of CDDA last night, and it does still have that version of RetroDays in it that HRose tweaked to use his ASCII fallback stuff. It’s quite outdated now, and is also in the old CDDA\gfx\RetroDaysTileset\ directory rather than RetroDaysTileset10/RetroDaysTileset20 as in the current version of RetroDays. I’m not really sure what to do about all that.

Anyway, in terms of future plans; continually updating RetroDays with the experimental builds as a moving target is a little unappealing… and there are other projects I’ve been wanting to get back to.

Whenever there’s a content freeze in advance of a new stable version seems like a good time to update the tileset. We’ll see how long I can stay away, though. :wink:

Hi, Loving your tileset so far, but when i try to use it on the experimental builds it gaves me a failed to read json file or something like that, can you help me?

Yeah, something was changed post-v0.A-stable that requires tileset.txt to be set up slightly differently. (I’m not sure why it was changed, actually.) I’ll just quote from the installation instructions in the RetroDays readme:

- If using a post-0.A experimental version of CDDA: --- Open CDDA\gfx\RetroDaysTileset10\tileset.txt for editing. --- Remove 'gfx/' from the start of the path on the JSON and TILESET lines, so that those lines look like this:

JSON: RetroDaysTileset10/tile_config.json
TILESET: RetroDaysTileset10/retrodaystiles10.png

— Repeat this process in CDDA\gfx\RetroDaysTileset20\tileset.txt.

Edit: I don’t know the details behind this change, but a seemingly more elegant solution would be to accept the filepaths in tileset.txt with or without the leading ‘gfx/’.

oh, i should have read the readme :s, and another question, i dont remember which one but i downloaded a retrodays build that was already installed on a experimental cataclysm and it had different colours (i dont know the name of that) like it had different shades of blue
ps: pardon my english i wish i could explain it better.

[quote=“mankoo, post:70, topic:5201”]oh, i should have read the readme :s, and another question, i dont remember which one but i downloaded a retrodays build that was already installed on a experimental cataclysm and it had different colours (i dont know the name of that) like it had different shades of blue
ps: pardon my english i wish i could explain it better.[/quote]

Sorry, I’m not sure what you’re getting at. I mention that altered version of RetroDays a few posts up, though.

it was the same game with retrodays tileset but it had different shades of colour, like brighter green or darker blues to say an example, something like that, it not really a big concern but i would love to have that.

The best tileset this community ever has. This is my personal favourite, I just love the 8-bit style.

So awesome.

EDIT: Is there a grey background version?

Thanks everyone. :slight_smile:

mankoo: No idea, sorry.

StopSignal: No, there’s no grey background version. A lot of the items are grey themselves and would become basically invisible, that way. There’s also not enough pixels available in a 10x10 square to give them black (or whatever) outlines, in most cases.

Oh ok nevermind them, its not really an issue anyways

Looks clean and “Cataclysmic”. I like it.

This is really nice.

It’s easier on the eyes then letters but still leaves something to the imagination.

Hey everyone. I’ve been updating RetroDays recently to take all the new stuff in the experimental builds into account. It should be finished before too long and I’ll release an update.

I also incorporated the automatic ASCII fallback stuff HRose(?) put together a while back, so now any tiles that are undefined by RetroDays will show up as ASCII rather than the generic ‘tile missing’ tile. It also means that stuff like the floating combat text now works with RetroDays.

So that’s cool. I should have looked at that a while ago. In working on this though, I looked closer at the version of the ‘RetroDays’ tileset included in the experimental builds that has this ASCII fallback, and I’ve been thinking…

That one still being named ‘RetroDays’ is actually a little misleading. It’s not using anything I did as part of RetroDays; rather it’s only using (a very small number of) tiles from HRose’s Retro/ASCII tileset, and the rest is using plain ASCII - again something HRose worked out in his Retro/ASCII tileset thread (maybe not alone - don’t know the details). The result is something that looks very similar to the game’s default ASCII mode, only with a square font rather than a rectangular one.

RetroDays as I’ve worked on it, in comparison (and I named it that specifically to try to avoid confusion with what HRose was doing), is basically entirely graphical, with a graphical tile for almost everything in the game.

I’m wondering if I should (work out how to) make a Pull Request to change the name of the ‘RetroDays’ tileset currently included in the experimental builds to something like ‘RetroASCII’ instead. That seems more representative - since it is almost entirely ASCII - and would (hopefully) clear up any confusion. It also has the benefit of being what HRose originally called his tileset.

At the same time (in the same PR?), I could add RetroDays so it’s included in the experimentals (once I’ve finished this update). Seems like a good time for it now that it has the ASCII fallback to give it some future-proofing.

Anyone have any thoughts on all this?

Yeah, that PR sounds reasonable. Not a tile user but I’ve heard a fair amount of Good Things re RetroDays and look forward to having it updated.