Questions and Reviews

So, I’ve been playing the game for a little while (my character is still alive after 3 days :D), and I just have a few questions and comments:
Questions:

1. Can you make the gameplay screen bigger/wider (I’m not talking about fullscreen mode, I mean the actual screen in-game)?
  2. Is the “wait in place” button still “.” ; doesn’t seem to be working for me?

Comments:

1. This game is actually challenging. Thank goodness; been looking for something where survival is not always easy.
  2. Zombies are nothing if not determined.
  3. SPAM is good for throwing at zombies.
  4. This game is amazing so far. Keep it up!

Lolnoob

Yes, but someone somehow removed that options a few experimental back and I’m not sure if it’s back yet.

Either you’re not pressing it hard enough, your keyboard is broken, your game is lagging, or it’s a legit bug.

You fool! Eat the food!

Numpad 5 usually makes you wait in place. if ‘.’ doesn’t work, try that. Hell, 5 in general probably works, numpad 5 is just more convenient.

Lolnoob

I’m very aware that I’m a noob…thanks for rubbing it in :b.

You fool! Eat the food!

I can eat the food after I throw it at that zombie…or run him over.

Q/A:
You can always try and edit the options/config file. If you’re playing an experimental build, it’s very common some features are added, and some “shaded”, so to say. Also, you might wanna check out the nCurses/CursesWin builds - they depend on (virtual) console parameters.
Concerning the buttons, you have a “wait” option in-game; you can even delay your moves until the weather changes.

I loved your comments, too! Here’s a little spinoff:

1. The vanilla settings are challenging; City_size and zombie spawn multipliers add to this - it’s even dramatic at times!
  2. Makes you wanna join the mob and grab yourself some homo sapiens? :slight_smile: You could even go cannibal if you wanted to.
  3. There’s a weapon that feeds its ammo banks with junk; you’ll come to enjoy it eventually, I know it. :smiley:
  4. It’s Devotion Days Amassed, that’s for sure! :stuck_out_tongue:

Now run. That one’s got my CBM in it.
Leave the dwarven blade.

[quote=“Firecrackle, post:4, topic:6892”]

Lolnoob

You fool! Eat the food!

I can eat the food after I throw it at that zombie…or run him over.[/quote]
Pfft, everyone knows your supposed to cave in zombie heads with canned food. Saves the trouble of finding a rock to open it.

[quote=“Firecrackle, post:4, topic:6892”]

Lolnoob

You fool! Eat the food!

I can eat the food after I throw it at that zombie…or run him over.[/quote]

Ninja gets that way from time to time. My apologies, and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the welcome KA101.
Lol I just throw anything/ everything heavy I have in my inventory at zombies. I don’t look for tips or help in-game unless I find a bug though. I like having to figure out how everything works by experience; it just makes the game more fun and more challenging. I probably won’t be surviving for a year anytime soon.

[quote=“Firecrackle, post:8, topic:6892”]Thanks for the welcome KA101.
Lol I just throw anything/ everything heavy I have in my inventory at zombies. I don’t look for tips or help in-game unless I find a bug though. I like having to figure out how everything works by experience; it just makes the game more fun and more challenging. I probably won’t be surviving for a year anytime soon.[/quote]

Last time I had a char that lasted to the one-year mark was back before we had version numbers. I still have the “02FebBugfix” version if anyone wants to compare just how far DDA’s come.

Hey, that’s cool >> a game in development going so strong it has memorabilia. :slight_smile:
A good thing perhaps, having a build, or a mod that emulates some of the initial features CataDDA had @ zero hour. Even better, having the same few people finish the game. :smiley:

I think I got the wait in place button to work, it just doesn’t show me a message or anything with it. Thanks for answering my questions. Maybe I picked up an experimental version by mistake? I’ll check later.
After a few more runs I also have some more comments:

1. Moose suck.
  2. Aww a puppy! Come here boy, come here- wait…why are you staring at me like that. Umm? Puppy?
  3. Nice bunker you got there, it would be a shame if anything were to happen to it…
  4. Haha. That’s right zombie. Keep bashing that iron door. I’m sure you’ll get through it eventually.
  5. I wonder how many thousands of line of code it took to make this game :b. Making one crab appear in a game could easily take 100+ lines (-multiple compiling errors and subclasses later-).

[quote=“Firecrackle, post:11, topic:6892”]After a few more runs I also have some more comments:

1. Moose suck.[/quote]

Yep.

Just get a semi-armored vehicle,being a nomad means less chance of getting besieged by local wild life and stuff.

[quote=“Firecrackle, post:11, topic:6892”]I think I got the wait in place button to work, it just doesn’t show me a message or anything with it. Thanks for answering my questions. Maybe I picked up an experimental version by mistake? I’ll check later.
After a few more runs I also have some more comments:

1. Moose suck.
  2. Aww a puppy! Come here boy, come here- wait…why are you staring at me like that. Umm? Puppy?
  3. Nice bunker you got there, it would be a shame if anything were to happen to it…
  4. Haha. That’s right zombie. Keep bashing that iron door. I’m sure you’ll get through it eventually.
  5. I wonder how many thousands of line of code it took to make this game :b. Making one crab appear in a game could easily take 100+ lines (-multiple compiling errors and subclasses later-).[/quote]

And then a hulk rips the door off the hinges and beats you with it.

Lol Daidalon, not if I run out the back door first (hopefully no wolves back there, or moose, or wildlife in general; it’s amazing how much better they survive compared to humans).

Well,humans don’t have the magic respawn technology that animals managed to obtain.

Just counted (with a tool, heh) about 160,000 lines of c++. That doesn’t count comments or whitespace lines.
Here’s the tool output:

[spoiler][code]

Language files blank comment code

C++ 142 15027 9992 145901
C/C++ Header 127 2619 4020 13738
Python 45 83 411 10656
Lua 16 279 131 2243
D 138 0 0 1747
make 2 78 93 360
Bourne Shell 5 32 18 216
C 1 24 109 178
CMake 1 21 44 58
YAML 1 2 0 9

SUM: 478 18165 14818 175106

[/code][/spoiler]
It also doesn’t count json, no code counters count json for some reason, even though they do YAML.
find Cataclysm/ -name “*.json” | xargs wc tells me we have…
uh… seriously?
359841 lines of json. Holy crap that’s a lot.

Man, does anyone else get TINY code boxes on this forum? Like… line and a half, at best.
~360000 lines of code, damn. That’s a fair bit of writing.

You seem to have forgotten us, the translators, the elves of New England. :)) We have 1300 pages to review and translate.
And then you’ve forgotten the mighty dwarves of NE, stubby with fingers and handy with CataDDA modding tools. Those matter, too! :slight_smile:
And then modders, good halflings-halfcodelings, with their many, many crafts, items and tilesets! They might look like children, but…
And never forget the grungy ole’ wizard, Gtaguyndalf. He’s the puppetmaster behind the whole show.

Actually, we all do have a lot of stuff to look back at.
<< May it never end >>

Hulks run much faster than you can :slight_smile:

Yeah they do … and hurt like hell at that. Question … do NPCS still bug the game even in experimental aka random crashes and the like?