"Normal" Items and Tools you'd like to see in the game

This. Going exploring with my thermos of meat soup (hot) (2)? Yes please!

Also new furniture like computers/televisions to break down for electric parts.

shopping cart luggage and travel bags for additional mobile storage but with noise, swiss army knife (saw, screwdriver, digital altimeter, LED light, MP3 player etc) but slower construction time, a basketball or any heavy bouncy ball to stun and knock back dumb enemies, working refrigerators,

WASHING MACHINES! Essentially a renamed dresser that can be broken down for metal and an electric motor. It would also allow for a new building type, the LAUNDROMAT. As C:DDA is moving to a somewhat more urban-ish worldgen, seeing laundromats here and there would make sense. Also, with the new requirements for rags to do sewing (currently in the .5+ dev edition), extra sources of clothing would be really nice.

If it’s possible to do spawns in existing vehicle trunks, adding a 1/50 chance of a trunk spawning a first aid kit and some random tools would be awesome. Also, even though it’s not an item, adding basements to the Apartment Tower building would make sense. In fact, renaming the Apartment Tower to just Apartment Building until positive Z levels are fixed would be a good idea.

Moar gardening tools. Such as a hoe, hedge trimmers, rake, etc etc.

We’ve actually got washing machines in the basements of hotel buildings.

Spoiler’d for big:

Best morale boost ever.

I would like to see ovens smashable for pilot lights (I recall those being needed for some recipes), or other useable little things. I haven’t tested if ovens explode when put on fire but a propane fuel feed might lead to as much. I’m assuming gas stoves, though.

Night vision goggles (passive,ir,uv)

Why would you assume that? Most are electric these days and I don’t see that regressing in the future.

Electric stoves would have heating elements instead!

Conventional NVG are already in-game but require a fiddly separate power supply. IR goggles would be interesting; UV goggles would be a pain IMO as a lot of the places I’d want goggles are underground, where UVG wouldn’t work so far as I know.

Why would you assume that? Most are electric these days and I don't see that regressing in the future.

I know quite a few people who have gas stoves instead - perhaps my experience is a statistical outlier.

Electric stoves would have heating elements instead!

I will admit I kind of forgot how to basic nouns when I posted originally, and forgot what heating elements were called, so I left the idea out of my post. After removing the large amounts of durr from my head via sleep, my thought runs something like “Stoves ought to be smashable and I know they have useful bits in them that I could salvage.” I’m not sure what the item’s availability would do for game balance, though.

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:73, topic:1177”]

Why would you assume that? Most are electric these days and I don’t see that regressing in the future.

I know quite a few people who have gas stoves instead - perhaps my experience is a statistical outlier.[/quote]
I also know a significant number of people who have gas stoves, (including myself) so they should definitely exist, even if they aren’t particularly common or prevalent.

[quote=“Weyrling, post:74, topic:1177”][quote=“Pthalocy, post:73, topic:1177”]

I know quite a few people who have gas stoves instead - perhaps my experience is a statistical outlier.[/quote]
I also know a significant number of people who have gas stoves, (including myself) so they should definitely exist, even if they aren’t particularly common or prevalent.[/quote]
Do keep in mind that cataclysm does take place a fair bit into the future, so while I could certainly see gas stoves occurring occasionally, I wouldn’t see them being anywhere near commonplace.

I’ve got a gas stove, and am so ignorant of appliance trends that I didn’t even realise they were supposed to be going extinct.

Well, yes, it’s not really an appliance that breaks down so many old ones persist but I’m fairly certain, and I could be wrong, that buying a new one that’s not electric would be very difficult.

a trangia - basically a compact, all-in-one camp stove with a frying pan, a pot and an alcohol burner as its heat source. i was surprised there were no alcohol burners in game - especially with all the alcohol around. guess it’s not for cooking :stuck_out_tongue:

for me growing up this was a camping necessity, and I’ll definitely be hunting one down when the zombie apocalypse hits.

Don’t forget a good ole Coleman Gas Stove.

i was surprised there were no alcohol burners in game
Can't verify the historical tidbit, but [url=http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110726113320AADAxza]the part about 50% alcohol per volume[/url] (or 100 proof) requirement is true.

Whiskey, vodka, all of the liquors available in game typically come at about 40% (80 proof). That’s why they use stuff like bacardi 151 (151 proof!) or Everclear (151 or 190 proof) to top off shots that are intended to be served on fire.

I realize the molotov cocktail recipe as-is violates this rule, and I’m not asking for it to be changed - but that might be part of why it doesn’t immediately come to mind as a viable fuel in other cases.

Wouldn’t mind Everclear being added to the game as a rare consumable that gets you smashed twice as fast and burns fast, lol.

Anyway, not sure if it’s been mentioned already, but megaphones! I am not sure why making noise with your face louder would be a desirable choice, but hey. They come with a little weeoo siren button if I recall. I’d rig that to my car so fast.