Utility Items Sorely Needed

Magnifying Glass / Lense: Used on a clear day, has a small chance to light a fire. Used on a sunny day has a large chance to light a fire. Can only ignite kindling or tinder reliably.
Kindling: Use survival to break down wooden objects into varying amounts of kindling with an axe, similar to knifing clothes to make rags. Has a higher chance to ignite when fire is applied to it than other wooden objects, but burns faster. Burns for only minutes, but has a decent chance of igniting other objects on the same tile.
Tinder: Use survival to gather this from grassy tiles, only in summer. Similar to kindling, however has a near 100% chance to ignite. Burns for only seconds, but has a high chance of igniting other objects on the same tile.
Flint: Apply with any steel item to create sparks, with a small chance of igniting nearby tiles. Can be targeted, but reliability increases with survival skill. Unskilled attemps liable to result in self ignition.

In short, renewable sources of fire that can be obtained fairly easily, however require skill to use effectively. And not catch fire. We can build cars! Why can we not punch a lense out of our glasses and light a fire with it?

EDIT: Turns out I’m a bit of a screwup, this was supposed to be in the library. Not sure exactly how it ended up not there, but there you have it. How does one get it moved?
EDIT: EDIT: I mean the drawing board. Derp.

You can already carve wooden items into skewers, so you could always use those as kindling.

Really, though, unless lighters and matchbooks are made far less common, there’s no reason you should ever run out of easy ways to light a fire.

And I’ve never heard of even the most inexperienced boy scout accidentally immolating themselves through misuse of flint and steel.

yeah lighters are really common and other sources of fire aren’t a necessity.
When was the last time you used more than 3 lighters (100 charges each)?
A lighter last me about 1 year in game time and i have like 15 of them stored :stuck_out_tongue:

Permission to sig?

And there is already something you can craft with high survival to light fire with. Don’t exactly remember what.

Permission to sig?[/quote]

Certainly.

I hate to say it but some of them are kinda pointless. Items restricted to certain seasons is a big drawback-- items restricted to weather is even worse. The average player will have enough lighters and matchbooks to feed himself for a year after raiding just a few houses. Woodsmen that never go near cities will craft fire drills, etc.

I’m in all favour of flint and steel though. Pretty sure we could add them to sports goods stores.

Flint and steel is a good idea.

Kindling = splintered wood.
Timber = 2x4’s.

I have found in real life that cigarette lighters are really bad to use in winter- the problem is they use butane fuel which condenses at right around 32 degrees Fahrenheit- it needs to be gaseous to burn, so in 2-3 seconds after you take it out of your pocket it stops working. I’ve had to start carrying matches when hiking in cold weather.

please repost in the suggestoins forum. so the developers can see it. They are adding jsons. you may be able to add these yourselves. see the mods forum. Jsons is just a simple way to add items. etc… to the game.

[quote=“MarkB, post:2, topic:2784”]And I’ve never heard of even the most inexperienced boy scout accidentally immolating themselves through misuse of flint and steel.[/quote]As a Boy Scout myself, I find this rather hilarious, although I must say some people in our troop are much more likely to accidentally immolate themselves when “tending” our campfires than trying to light them via flint and steel.

urine recycling device.

There’s already a Recycler CBM which reduces your food and drink needs significantly. Anything less passive might require the introduction of levels of bodily-function management that some players might not be comfortable with.

I, for one, would be interested in bodily fluid management in the sense of using things like Urine and Feces to attract/deter certain predators. Urine could be recycled into water, or let to dry out so we have access to certain elements that can be used to create gunpowder. Feces could be used to fertilize crops, which we now have the option creating. Or using urine to keep away certain animals by marking an area as territory, or attracting certain larger animals to such scents. And throwing feces at NPCs for shits and giggles.

Frankly I’ve always thought that rotten meat should attract zombies and assorted wildlife.

But I’m not sure adding urin and excrement adds much to the game.

Yeah, I can see it now. The typical survivor shelter… Filled with loot, food, weaponry… and poop.
Most wouldn’t even poop in the toilets because it’s a water supply, which means it would have to go in a corner somewhere stinking the place up. But don’t worry! you can use it to tan those gorgeous leather bikinis you’ve always wanted :wink:
I mean come on, no-one throws away anything if it has a decent use right? :smiley:

Don’t forget if it can be weaponized!

Just imagine, once weather and the like improve, having it freeze. Make sure you have very, very dense diet, and you have wonderful wintertime weapon

Aaaaaand suddenly you are playing HellMOO.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:17, topic:2784”]Yeah, I can see it now. The typical survivor shelter… Filled with loot, food, weaponry… and poop.
Most wouldn’t even poop in the toilets because it’s a water supply, which means it would have to go in a corner somewhere stinking the place up.[/quote]My crew was told to dig a small “cat-hole” in which to crap when we had to go on the trail. At camp, the latrines were basically just holes in the ground with toilet seats built above them.

For a latrine, one could dig a deep pit, and use 2x4s, nails, and something else to use as a toilet seat.

That way, you don’t have to shit into your water supply :smiley: