Moar (improvised) Weapons!

I’ve gotten into the habit of using the lumberjack profession a LOT lately, and it is the same reason every time. The only ‘good’ weapons are random and rare finds like katanas and chainsaws. As soon as you start, your main mission is pretty much to loot up on as many guns and bullets as possible, and personally it’s a little cheap.
Maybe a game mode which starts you off on a long, straight road and a motorbike, and you just make your way down looking for guns and ammo where your kind of striving to get as far along that road as you can, maybe even make it to some sort of safe haven even, but at the moment I think guns are just a cheap answer to any zombie, well except skellies.

So, here it is - Some improvised weapons N stuff!

car door shields ~ maybe you could even push the zombies back as you walk into them with it?
crazy Clown shoes ~ clown shoes with some nails pointing out to kick the zombies and walk over spiders and squirrels. Would need a way to specifically kick, but could be worth it. Takes some rags to keep them tight on your foot, but could store things in them.
Improvised soccer boots - Some shoes or boots with nails pointing down, could make you a little faster on grass and could pulp corpses by walking over them
Taser racket ~ a tennis racket with some wire or barbed wire electrified with batteries for a little shock, would have to turn it on rather than activate and sting things like an actual taser.
Carpet cloak ~ i’m pretty sure every house has some carpet, so what if you could pry it off and sew it into a vest or something, would give lots of encumbering and warmth, but could be given some pockets on the insides with some rags and have some nails sticking out too?
Whip ~ just a little bit of string attached to a two by four
Electric whip ~ Now that’s what i’m talkin’ about!
Pepper spray ~ maybe you can only make it if you can cook a bit, but using peppers and a spray can to create something that maybe blinds zombies, melts them maybe? you guys try of think of something too!
Wolverine claws ~ just some blades or knives held to your hands with some rags, some stronger ones could be welded, maybe plastic toy ones could be found in homes?
Mop Flail ~ a mop with some rocks tied to the threads at the end to swing around like a flail.
Cardboard box clothes ~ a whole suit could be made, with leather pockets attached with a sewing and nails poking out too, very weak and very temporary though, and the nails could hurt you if the cardboard gets destroyed.
Box of shells ~ i think most people have had a box of shells lying around the house at one stage, they could be activated and it would throw the shells on their own, or you could use them for frags, or slingshot ammo, or lay them on the ground as traps to make sound and a little pain, the possibilities are endless!

So what are your ideas? hopefully we can see some of these get added into the game, and make those first few nights a little easier one people! if they are a little OP, then maybe a bit of survival skill is required to craft them, or some other skill maybe.

This Ideas suck. I will elbaorate

I've gotten into the habit of using the lumberjack profession a LOT lately, and it is the same reason every time. The only 'good' weapons are random and rare finds like katanas and chainsaws. As soon as you start, your main mission is pretty much to loot up on as many guns and bullets as possible, and personally it's a little cheap.
First off, the game is supposed to be hard at the start, and good weapons are supposed to be a rare find. Technically the game is about looting and nothing else, if you find looting cheap I really dont know what else you can enjoy, because the game is looting.
Maybe a game mode which starts you off on a long, straight road and a motorbike, and you just make your way down looking for guns and ammo where your kind of striving to get as far along that road as you can, maybe even make it to some sort of safe haven even, but at the moment I think guns are just a cheap answer to any zombie, well except skellies.
That sounds similar to the rush to the west scenario, its planned and will possibly be the first scenario to land.
car door shields ~ maybe you could even push the zombies back as you walk into them with it?
Car doors are actually pretty heavy and very unwieldy, you wouldnt be a able to block well with it as the first stricke you block would place you completely offbalance.
crazy Clown shoes ~ clown shoes with some nails pointing out to kick the zombies and walk over spiders and squirrels. Would need a way to specifically kick, but could be worth it. Takes some rags to keep them tight on your foot, but could store things in them.
This is to much many ridicuolus.
Improvised soccer boots - Some shoes or boots with nails pointing down, could make you a little faster on grass and could pulp corpses by walking over them
Dunno this could make sense, but it still sounds extremely odd, and a terrible choice for a weapon, Im pretty sure you would fall every time you kicked something due to the nails sticking to the poor thing.
Taser racket ~ a tennis racket with some wire or barbed wire electrified with batteries for a little shock, would have to turn it on rather than activate and sting things like an actual taser.
Rackets are terrible weapons, as they bend easily. Plus we already have a lot of taser weapons
Carpet cloak ~ i'm pretty sure every house has [i]some[/i] carpet, so what if you could pry it off and sew it into a vest or something, would give lots of encumbering and warmth, but could be given some pockets on the insides with some rags and have some nails sticking out too?

Well could work, would be better to cut it into rags and then make clothing with those.

Whip ~ just a little bit of string attached to a two by four Electric whip ~ Now [i]that's[/i] what i'm talkin' about!

Dunno zombies don’t feel pain, it would take you ages to kill one with a whip. Could work with Npcs but it would still take ages to kill one with a whip.

Pepper spray ~ maybe you can only make it if you can cook a bit, but using peppers and a spray can to create something that maybe blinds zombies, melts them maybe? you guys try of think of something too!
Im am pretty sure that for normal purposes zombies are already "blind" they see through some sort of interplannar blobs of goo in their eye sockets. But pepper srpay could work even if only for NPCs.
Wolverine claws ~ just some blades or knives held to your hands with some rags, some stronger ones could be welded, maybe plastic toy ones could be found in homes?
We have this already
Mop Flail ~ a mop with some rocks tied to the threads at the end to swing around like a flail.
I like this idea.

I think that more makeshift weapons would be a good addition, but weapons like “crazy clown shoes” doesn’t seems reasonable, as for me. It is more likely that survivor who has access to nails just craft a nailboard rather than clown shoes. I don’t want to make any offence but most of listed weapons seems to… not quite fit, as for me.

Mop flail seems ok, car door shields must be very heavy, but ok as for desperate measure. Whip would be good against living enemies who feels pain, but not against zeds. Maybe some improved whip variation with some nails, hooks etc., attached to it, to just tear flesh apart , but whip is hard to handle, to my mind, so it is an open question. Claw/katar makeshifts seems ok, but there is a question if you can attach it to your hand so tight to make it penetrate ribs/skulls/bones without falling down from your arm.

Main point of my post if that we have variety of weapons that already present in game, so any addition should be considered carefully, to make it reasonable, fit to the style of game and to be addition in quality, not just in quantity. As for my desire - I would like to see shields (makeshift or not), but it would require implementation of off-hand weapons/tools, so we have to wait for it a while.

We already have the rebar katar for DIY claws.

Also, here are some old DIY weapons I suggested awhile back.

Feel free to bloat this thread with any and all the cobbled together DIY items you think are missing from our cataclysms.

Pics if you got em’

I’ll start with a healthy dose of awesome…

The Stinger

This ad-hoc bastardized God-worrier is little beyond a helicopter’s tall gun modified with a rifle stock and a box to hold its chains of .30 caliber bullets.

Parking Meater
A coin opperated mechanism designed expressly to pester motorists. Hacked free of its moorings it gives new meaning to the phrase “Feed the meter.”

Dugout Special
A trio of aluminum bats held fast to a central handle with little more than duct tape and gumption. Three strikes and you’re out.

Triple-Shotgun

A walking one-two-three count these hombres will do more then muss up your hair. Consumes three shotgun shells per shot.

Loot Suit
Essentially just two backpacks sewn to either side of a sweater.

Obscenity Suit
All sleek leather and toothy steel this contour hugging bondage suit has been swathed from head to toe in barbed wire.

Mounted Chainsaw

For every forest there is a final solution.

Smiley

Consisting of a length of chain tethered at one end to a particularly girthy padlock this improvised flail is perfect for the hoodlum on a budget.

Thingamajig
An all-purpose dojigger designed to pry, dig and if all else fails chop one’s way through the cataclysm.

[spoiler=Recipe]-Powered Welder or Makeshift welder or intergrated toolset

-crowbar or makeshift crowbar
-shovel or entrenching tool

• 2x wood axe or 2x hatchet
  • scrap metal[/spoiler]

Cool Cool, people have their opions, but what are your ideas! I am only one person after all. Sorry about the wolverine claws, but what about the whip wrapping around zombies like steel chains huh? Liking the idea of tying things into the whips, maybe even the sea shells too!

As for already a lot and must be worth adding, this is really bottom of the barrel stuff. Not a spray can attached to a machete or reinforced cargo pants, because as John said, it’s hard at the start, why not be able to do cool stuff like quickly ripping up the carpet and using it as a vest or ripping a car door off and shepherding those zeds all the way into the bathroom?

Also, Rush to the west? Sounds sick! Was hoping I wasn’t the only one with the idea!

John is right, most of these are unnecessary.

You are not a super human. Stop thinking you are.

Well you weren’t…

If we ever get two-tile range melee, a chain or sheet with a bowling ball on the end would be a pretty cool flail-thingy, hell, lot’s of stuff would make a really cool flail thingy. Like guitars, with nails, and a reinforced body.

bolas can be used to trip or slow zombies.

whips could be used to enslave NPCs XD

I spent like 20 mins searching the internet for improvised weapons, and I mostly found items that had already been added in game.
You can improvise almost anything with nails, wood, and some glue or duct tape.
Everything else involves picking up items that are just laying around houses to fight with.

The only thing I haven’t seen was exercise dumbbells. The ones for 1 hand.
Then again, it probably wouldn’t be much more effective than a rock.

Cherry, i’m not sure where you are going, but you just gave me a great idea!
With the addition of one handed punching bags (i know that’s not what you meant, but i thought it was for a second) you could stick some nails through it and now it’s a dodge ball of death!

Maybe even tack off the leather and wrap it around a rock and stick nails out of the leather again? Maybe tie it to the end of a stick like a flail or mace? Do you guys understand where I am going with this, I would like to see some really messy, strewn together weapons we could make when you start raiding your first town and get a little ahead of yourself and need something asap apart from smashing a couple of closets and sticking the nails through a plank of wood. These are the kinds of things i am suggesting, not herp-a-derp shirt with two bags sewn onto it.

No.

Those nails in that “bag” would stick in the first zombie you hit. It’ll take a LOT efforts to “recover” weapon after that.
Not to mention that carrying it around would make more damage to you, then zombie claws.

“Improvised” weapons means “Handmade”, not some kind of “Let’s collect pile of shit, drop to the box and mix a bit - that’ll be our Doomslayer +100”, IMHO :slight_smile:

This.

That improvised flail keeps reminding me over and over of the homewrecker.
Which I believe is a huge improvised mace.

Steel chains are kinda rare, but if you happen to find one, I imagine you could improvise a flail with some wood, duct tape, and chunk of steel + rag as the whack part of the thing.

Also, throwing kettle bells at zombie should be hilarious improvised weapons. Rock power x 3. Rock range / 3.
That’s all I got.

My earlier point: It is easier to find an item on the ground that makes a good weapon rather than craft one from scrap, in my opinion.
Finding a pipe or 2by4 with nails is good enough for the first 3 days.
Until window tactic becomes obsolete ofc.

I don’t know if any of you have removed carpet before but I’d like to point out that despite it looking like fabric, there’s a hard plastic backing on it, usually made harder by the glue and while it rolls up nicely in one direction, it’s not exactly the most flexible thing. You’d probably have an easier time wearing form-fitting cardboard. On top of that, it’d be itchy as hell, even with clothes on under it. Lastly I very highly doubt it’d be warm.

depending on the type of carpet it would make passable armor though.

So would duct-taping bottles of pills together, they’re both about as easy to move in and make into armor.

Okay, not too many new ideas…

Lets talk about those spiked balls, i don’t see how they would hurt you when you’re carrying them if a katana, a chainsaw, or a thousand machetes wont hurt you at all in your pockets, who cares if it should. What if it gets stuck in the zombie it hits and you can pick it up after smashing the corpse? You might not get it back, but it might even be a 1 hit KO if your char is a reasonably good thrower.

With the carpet jacket thing, I was thinking maybe it gave you a lot of warmth so as to stop players from wearing it all the time, since it’s like, heavy and uncomfortable and stuff, but could you just imagine how handy it would be to have zombies try to bite into a carpet instead of your flesh, you would get hardly any damage, but it’s way too big and heavy and warm to keep it? sounds fair?

And funsizeninja, i don’t see how a true noob ‘helper’ can’t even justify his own arguments. These aren’t just piling shit together, these are the kinds of things you would do if you were stuck in a house and knew you had to get some sort of weapon sorted, and if you actually considered them for a second you might just see how cool it would be.

Carpet armour was so popular in the SCA at one time that most areas have banned it because it looks terrible and encourages people to show up swathed in duct tape. Shaped properly it does a pretty good job at protecting though. (pieces of) Five-gallon HDPE buckets (usually food-grade) are also pretty common and are still in general use because they’re light, easy to shape into pieces and hide under other clothing. It’s not going to stop a bullet, but a baseball bat? Yeah. absolutely. As a note you wouldn’t wear a “sheet” of carpet, because it’s impractical and near impossible to move in (as others have stated).

I’d personally like to see more improvised items like this. Tire rubber is another extremely common and generally useful material.

Because traditionally speaking when you’re carrying around a Katana it’s got this nifty bit of material that goes over the metal bit and can be removed before use so the hurty bit can hurt things and it keeps the hurty bit from getting less hurty because of being clunk against other not-so-hurty things. Some chainsaws also have these strange materials you can place over the blade but traditionally the hurty bit isn’t on when you store it. I have no idea what you’re talking about with a thousand matches, even loose I don’t see a million matches stabbing you as you walk whearas as sock with some nails in it would 1: Fall apart quickly, assuming you could hit anything with it at all. And two, don’t we already have a rock in a sock, why do we need nails in a sock?

Can we have bullets in a sock too? Because that may not be realistic but damn it’d be cool right?

How about a landmine on a stick, that’s improvised, cool, and ungodly impractical too!