"Normal" Items and Tools you'd like to see in the game

Weapon and armor varieties and the means to tinker with them. My favorite place to loot is definitely the mansion. I can’t wait for 0.5 to come out so I can modify the JSONs to make platemail more durable.

You can do that right now if you download the git version

It’d be cool if at high end you could make your own custom guns. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bowl/cup/plate containers to make soup/coffee/tea in. Sleeping bags. Fishing lines. More foods and drinks in general. More hats. Maybe a hygiene system and related items? Grappling hooks. Portable video games to boost morale. And a captive bolt pistol.

The container has to have a way to be closed, who can run away from zombies with a bowl of soup in their pocket?

I don’t know, but it bothers me that I always have to drink my tea/coffee out of a bottle. At least add a thermos.

Personally I would like to see more varieties of improvised and craftable armor.

I have a suit designed for the apocalypse, it involves a dozen or so 2 liter bottles with a thin padding and straps.

Plastic is nigh impervious to bites and scratches and even provides modest protection from sharp items.

think about it some time

Also:

• Rollerskates & skateboards
  • Water guns (fill it with acid / fuel / zombie pheromone for extra fun)
  • Household fire alarms
  • BBQ grills
  • Umbrella (two varites; big and sturdy that lasts and foldable that is easy to carry but may break in strong wind).
  • Scuba gear
  • Soap and reasons to use it.
  • Money (no use other than collect)
- Money (no use other than collect)
Wrong. They are excellent firestarters.
- BBQ grills
DO WANT! So many uses:

[ul][]light fire
[
]use coal
[*]destroy it to gather some metal[/ul]

Wuzzy, I don't think the idea of the waste books is a terrible one, but personally I'd wait a bit for sticking them in. I plan to introduce "item variation" in the fairly near future for .6 (setting up the system for getting thing over to json was only the first step), and the first bit of that will be varying names and descriptions.
That item variation thing sounds very interesting. More randomness is good, it greatly increases the replay value of the game. :) Long story short: Go for it!

Bag o’ Ready-Mix Cement/Concrete (just add water!)? Volume around 10-15, weighs 40 pounds minimum, can use to create Pavement?

I have a suit designed for the apocalypse, it involves a dozen or so 2 liter bottles with a thin padding and straps.

Plastic is nigh impervious to bites and scratches and even provides modest protection from sharp items.

think about it some time[/quote]

I’ll stick to my black camo stuff if the world ever went to hell. Plenty of storage space, a strap for a liter bottle already built in (and cover it with a flap), a thin face mask, and a knife hidden in the shoe.

Already got a 45 pound draw compound bow and a 200lb draw crossbow with a dozen shots for each. All I need is to buy a sword and I am ready if the world ended.

think about it some time[/quote]

I’ll stick to my black camo stuff if the world ever went to hell. Plenty of storage space, a strap for a liter bottle already built in (and cover it with a flap), a thin face mask, and a knife hidden in the shoe.

Already got a 45 pound draw compound bow and a 200lb draw crossbow with a dozen shots for each. All I need is to buy a sword and I am ready if the world ended.[/quote]

I have a katana, you could use that if we found each other.

I also have a ornamental katana. I like katanas.

Homeless dogs often chew and tear plastic bottles for fun, if a human were to bite without much concern for personal safety, i’d imagine the results would be pretty similar. The motion of mastication isn’t going to be stopped by a plastic bottle anymore than a thick piece of cloth, and a thick Arctic coat might actually provide better protection. The amount of pressure being put onto the spot being chewed wouldn’t find much resistance from plastic bottles. It’s like being struck from a strong blow while in plate. The metal armor will stop the sword from cutting directly into the flesh, but the user underneath will still incur damage if there isn’t a lot of padding to absorb the force. Open flesh wounds are possible in such circumstances, as are broken bones, and bruising. You are probably better off making a coat of metal plates.

I really want customizable clothing, armor, and weapons. Using something like the vehicle design screen for that would be awesome. Of course, the basic versions should still be available for crafting for those who don’t want the added complexity.

Homeless dogs often chew and tear plastic bottles for fun,[/quote]

Not just homeless dogs.

Actually I’d like to see something like the firearms mod system applied to clothing. So you sew up an “Extra Pockets”, “Metal Studs” or “Fur Lining” kit and apply it to your trenchcoat or whatever to pimp it out.

Also, I want moonshine, and random stills setup in the woods.

Actually I'd like to see something like the firearms mod system applied to clothing. So you sew up an "Extra Pockets", "Metal Studs" or "Fur Lining" kit and apply it to your trenchcoat or whatever to pimp it out.

Yes. This would be great. This could work by giving each piece of clothing “locations”, depending on size and type of that clothing. socks would have none, short pants would have four, trenchcoat would have twelve.

You can add stuff to your clothing, but it will add weight and encumberment if you do. You can fill 1/3rd of locations with something and have no penalty, but after that becomes -1/-2.

If you add “armor” type of thing to that location your armor rating for that clothing does not go up, but you receive x% chance to get extra armor effect - naturally this x% effect is dependant how many locations of that clothing is patched with armor. If you have 10% of steel plates and 50% of leather patches then you have 60% chance to get extra armor effect on each hit you get to the location covered by this modified clothing.

Also you could make specific pockets - These pockets can hold only one type of item, but those items calculate only 60% of their volume and 85% of their weight carried if they are on their pocket. So you could do customized tool/battle vests that carry your most used stuff around with reduced penalties. Naturally this would take quite high tailoring skill to do…

[quote=“DeepEnd, post:58, topic:1177”]

Actually I’d like to see something like the firearms mod system applied to clothing. So you sew up an “Extra Pockets”, “Metal Studs” or “Fur Lining” kit and apply it to your trenchcoat or whatever to pimp it out.

Yes. This would be great. This could work by giving each piece of clothing “locations”, depending on size and type of that clothing. socks would have none, short pants would have four, trenchcoat would have twelve.

You can add stuff to your clothing, but it will add weight and encumberment if you do. You can fill 1/3rd of locations with something and have no penalty, but after that becomes -1/-2.

If you add “armor” type of thing to that location your armor rating for that clothing does not go up, but you receive x% chance to get extra armor effect - naturally this x% effect is dependant how many locations of that clothing is patched with armor. If you have 10% of steel plates and 50% of leather patches then you have 60% chance to get extra armor effect on each hit you get to the location covered by this modified clothing.

Also you could make specific pockets - These pockets can hold only one type of item, but those items calculate only 60% of their volume and 85% of their weight carried if they are on their pocket. So you could do customized tool/battle vests that carry your most used stuff around with reduced penalties. Naturally this would take quite high tailoring skill to do…[/quote]
FYI, this isn’t that different from the code for artifact armor…someone could probably actually pull it off. Little more C++ experience and I’d give it a shot.

Bolas (Made of strings and stones. Slowdown enemy) :