The Apunkalypse (making start game weapons)

No mattering how hard i try it is impossible for me to figure out how Github actually works, so i will take the cheap option and post the items and recipes i make here, hoping that someone of you is kinf enough to make pull requests for me.

So i noticed how few starting game weapons we have, and i am trying to correct that one, mostly doing by weapons with a scavenger/street flavour that you can make in game with less that 3 points in any skill

I already made:
-A makeshift knife, made from a spike that has been sharpened and a rag, it has better stats than your starting pocket knife

-The homewrecker , essentially a scrap macuahuitl made from chunks of steel tied to a carved wooden pole, its very heavy hitting (22 bash) but slow and unwieldy weapon (135 MpH and -3 to hitting)

-Nail knuckles, a pair of wooden squares with nails hammered through it.

Those three can made just at the start from materials at shelter right now, tell me what you think about them

The json file with the aditions http://www.mediafire.com/download/tbuuqc6ja497y6p/aditions.json
And if you dont feel confortable downloading it you can view it here http://www.mediafire.com/view/tbuuqc6ja497y6p/aditions.json

Plank arm/leg guards. Two-by-fours and some banged up scrap metal and you’ve got some cumbersome scrap armor. Yeah!
Wait, this thread is about weapons. Nevermind.

I like wooden armor…

I wish broken windows in Cataclysm actually drop broken glass shards so we can craft glass shivs.

[quote=“Slax, post:2, topic:3779”]Plank arm/leg guards. Two-by-fours and some banged up scrap metal and you’ve got some cumbersome scrap armor. Yeah!
Wait, this thread is about weapons. Nevermind.[/quote]

Anything conceivable that you could make with low skill goes in ,actually!

How about a “pot helmet”?
Components: A pot, rags (to stuff inside the pot), and leather patch OR fur pelt. A poor man’s helmet, offers decent protection but cumbersome.

Pot helmet’s already in.

Dang, my bad then :stuck_out_tongue:

I know this sounds bloody absurd but A lot of the “starting weapons” aren’t exactly vital considering you can make some fairly decent ones from just the materials in the Evac shelter. Hell you can BURN IT DOWN and make some brass (well steel) knuckles among other things.

I’d love to see the (presumably hardcoded?) Matches and Pocketknife removed. I don’t carry around those items on my all the time, much less when I go into the shower. Could make things a little bit difficult when you don’t start the game (no matter what) with a CUT of one.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:9, topic:3779”]I know this sounds bloody absurd but A lot of the “starting weapons” aren’t exactly vital considering you can make some fairly decent ones from just the materials in the Evac shelter. Hell you can BURN IT DOWN and make some brass (well steel) knuckles among other things.

I’d love to see the (presumably hardcoded?) Matches and Pocketknife removed. I don’t carry around those items on my all the time, much less when I go into the shower. Could make things a little bit difficult when you don’t start the game (no matter what) with a CUT of one.[/quote]

Well i am trying to make them comparable to the nail board so this is not the case and you have more to actually choose from, and most of them are also skill less recipes.

I also update the files with 2-by-arm guards and 2-by-shin guards now our trash knight apparel is finally complete

{ "type" : "recipe", "result": "2byarm_guard", "category": "CC_ARMOR", "skill_used": "fabrication", "difficulty": 1, "time": 5000, "reversible": true, "autolearn": true, "qualities":[ {"id":"CUT","level":1,"amount":1} ], "components": [ [ [ "string_36", 4 ] ], [ [ "2x4", 2 ] ], [ [ "rag", 8 ] ] ] },{ "type" : "recipe", "result": "2byshin_guard", "category": "CC_ARMOR", "skill_used": "fabrication", "difficulty": 1, "time": 5000, "reversible": true, "autolearn": true, "qualities":[ {"id":"CUT","level":1,"amount":1} ], "components": [ [ [ "string_36", 2 ] ], [ [ "2x4", 1 ] ], [ [ "rag", 4 ] ] ] },

{ "type" : "ARMOR", "id" : "2byarm_guard", "name" : "2-by-arm guards", "description" : "A pair of improvised arm guards made from broken pieces of a 2by4 that are tied to your arms with rags and string, they offer good proection but are really uncomfortable to wear.", "weight" : 300, "techniques" : ["WBLOCK_1"], "color" : "brown", "covers" : ["ARMS"], "price" : 100, "material" : ["wood" ,"null"], "volume" : 6, "cutting" : 0, "warmth" : 5, "phase" : "solid", "enviromental_protection" : 0, "to_hit" : -1, "storage" : 0, "encumbrance" : 3, "bashing" : 8, "symbol" : "[", "coverage" : 75, "material_thickness" : 3 }, { "type" : "ARMOR", "id" : "2byshin_guard", "name" : "2-by-shin guards", "description" : "A pair of improvised shin guards made from broken pieces of a 2by4 that are tied to your shins with rags and string, they offer good proection but are really hard to run with.", "weight" : 300, "color" : "brown", "covers" : ["LEGS"], "price" : 100, "material" : ["wood" ,"null"], "volume" : 6, "cutting" : 0, "warmth" : 5, "phase" : "solid", "enviromental_protection" : 0, "to_hit" : -1, "storage" : 0, "encumbrance" : 2, "bashing" : 8, "symbol" : "[", "coverage" : 45, "material_thickness" : 3 },

Well it seems mediafire edit feature is still choppy so im just posting them here

Matches and pocketknife is such a staple tool to starting characters that removing them would impact the early game greatly, matches for starting fire to cook and pocketknife to butcher corpse and get meat. Removing them would made food access option in day 1 limited to extended houses raiding or foraging. I don’t think that’s a good idea.

Shower Victim start with no clothes but matches and pocketknife seems strange though. Maybe be remove them and make Shower Victim a hard profession? Dunno about the match and pocket knife being hardcoded though.

Makeshift caltrops? For the trapper absent of talent, just bash a rock against some scrap metal until it looks sharp and dangerous. Minimal damage, probably not the most efficient use of inventory space.

Rivet already took care of that one i think (making them craft able from wire)

Sharpened Rebar!

{ "type" : "recipe", "result": "spear_rebar", "category": "CC_WEAPON", "skill_used": "fabrication", "difficulty": 0, "time": 100000, "reversible": false, "autolearn": true, "tools": [ [ [ "rock", -1 ], [ "scrap", -1] ] ], "components": [ [ [ "rebar", 1 ] ] ] },

{ "type":"GENERIC", "id": "spear_rebar", "symbol": "/", "color": "dark_gray", "name": "sharpened rebar", "description": "A somewhat sharpened piece of rebar, it is still better at bashing than stabbing but the added flexibility is nice", "price": 75, "material": "iron", "weight": 908, "volume": 6, "bashing": 12, "flags" : ["SPEAR"], "cutting": 6, "to_hit": 0 },

Stabbing*

Haha thanks for that one Me English is Slippin

How about a cudgel and nail cudgel. Just a shorter, faster club. A cudgel wouldn’t be super lethal, but pop in some nails and you’ve got a formidable weapon. A good swing with that would do a number on someone’s skull. It would be ideal for characters who are a bit too weak for a nail board. Probably similar stats to the crowbar, its ease of acquirement balanced by lack of door opening.

Rags fo’ yo’ hands, man. Bit of warmth and protection with some encumbrance.

There you go hand wraps for all you criminal needs

[tt]{
“type” : “recipe”,
“result”: “gloves_wraps”,
“category”: “CC_ARMOR”,
“skill_used”: “tailor”,
“difficulty”: 0,
“time”: 10000,
“reversible”: true,
“autolearn”: true,
“components”: [
[
[ “rag”, 4 ]
]
]
},[/tt]

[tt]{
“type” : “ARMOR”,
“id” : “gloves_wraps”,
“name” : “hand wraps”,
“weight” : 100,
“color” : “white”,
“covers” : [“HANDS”],
“to_hit” : 2,
“storage” : 0,
“symbol” : “[”,
“description” : “Long pieces of cloth that are meant to be wrapped around your hands to provide small amounts of protection while punching and performing other general mischief.”,
“price” : 90,
“material” : [“cotton”, “null”],
“volume” : 1,
“cutting” : 0,
“warmth” : 10,
“phase” : “solid”,
“enviromental_protection” : 0,
“encumbrance” : 0,
“bashing” : -3,
“flags” : [“VARSIZE”],
“coverage” : 50,
“material_thickness” : 1
},[/tt]

[tt] {
“type”: “profession”,
“ident”: “scoundrel”,
“name”: “Scoundrel”,
“description”: “Your flexible outlook on law has ensured your survival, but now what? You have some of your “sundries”, and one additional level of melee.”,
“points”: 2,
“skills”: [
{
“level”: 1,
“name”: “melee”
}
],
“items”: [
“tank_top”,
“hoodie”,
“pants_cargo”,
“gloves_wraps”,
“sneakers”,
“weed”,
“rolling_paper”,
“picklocks”
]
},
[/tt]

Because you know your flexible aproach to law (and I always imagine the scoundrel being a parkour guy)

{
“type” : “recipe”,
“result”: “cudgel”,
“category”: “CC_WEAPON”,
“skill_used”: “fabrication”,
“difficulty”: 0,
“time”: 1000,
“reversible”: false,
“autolearn”: true,
“qualities”:[
{“id”:“CUT”,“level”:1,“amount”:1}
],
“components”: [
[
[ “stick”, 1 ],
[ “broom”, 1 ],
[ “mop”, 1 ],
[ “2x4”, 1 ],
[ “pool_cue”, 1 ]
]
]
},

[tt]{
“type”:“GENERIC”,
“id” : “cudgel”,
“name” : “cudgel”,
“description” : “A slender long rod of wood, while traditionally intended as a training tool for many dueling moves, it still makes a good melee weapon in a pinch.”,
“weight” : 875,
“to_hit” : 2,
“color” : “brown”,
“symbol” : “/”,
“material” : [“wood”, “null”],
“techniques” : [“WBLOCK_1”, “RAPID”, “PRECISE”],
“volume” : 8,
“bashing” : 8,
“cutting” : 0,
“price” : 195
},[/tt]

To bad you cant have a melee weapon train cut, as cudgels where often used to train saber techiques

I wish broken windows in Cataclysm actually drop broken glass shards so we can craft glass shivs.[/quote]
Noted.