Military Vehicle Heavy Weapons pack

Hi, so I thought there’s a sore lack of military heavy weapons and the vehicles that use them in CDDA, and I figured I should try to rectify that.

The plan is to incorporate mid-to-endgame heavy weapons, recipes, vehicles, and map locations (hopefully) into the game through a mod that will also include buffs to some types of enemies to make using these weapons worthwhile.

These weapons and their components will not be found commonly, and would indeed be found mainly in military bases and tank depots (to be incorporated) that are heavily defended. Crafting them will be possible at high levels provided one has access to the recipe book, which will also be very rare.

Mounting them onto a vehicle will also be not quite that straightforward, as one would have to acquire the necessary parts. For example, a 25mm Autocannon RWS turret would require the weapon itself and a “RWS turret” component, which would then require: 4x military composite plating, 1x targeting unit, 1x autoloader mechanism, 1x aiming mechanism, 1x gun stabilizer, and 1x recoil compensator. These would be found, crafted, or scavenged. Though complete assemblies could also be found very rarely.

The reason for this would be that the completed assembly would be very heavy in total, and that this would prevent the game from becoming too easy as a result of the inherent power of these weapons.

For now, enjoy the 25mm autocannon RWS:
[size=18pt]HERE[/size]
You can find it in the debug item spawn menu.

Comments, suggestions, and help is welcome.

25mm autocannon?

Promise of more cool stuff?

Big scary things that’ll warrant stuff like this?

Count me greatly interested.

EDIT: HOLY COW THIS THING IS POWERFUL! Is it possible to make the explosion of the 25mm shots smaller? I think that’ll be more appropriate… Or maybe not… Anyway if you leave it as is, I recommend making the ammo very expensive or uncraftable, as it is the 25mm autocannon will basically wreck anything in the game. And yes I mean ANYTHING…

Rarity of ammo is pretty much part of the plan, as well as buffs for certain enemy types and possibly entirely new enemies to make using the heavy weapons a strategic decision.

It would be possible to craft new ammunition, but the recipe would be rare, and doing so would be risky. With the risk increasing as the calibers go up.

To elaborate, a makeshift 25mm round would have a small but significant chance of exploding in the chamber and damaging the weapon, maybe even making it unusable. Larger caliber shells would also have such a risk of detonating, and would pose an increased chance of cooking off the rest. Though I don’t know if I’d have to go into the C++ for that.

Alright then, but I still recommend nerfing the 25mm, either the gun or the bullets, as it is I can gun down a TANKdrone before it has a chance to react. Or you could feast on the tears of players and buff the tankdrone. Or both.

New ammo effects? Yep, needs C++ to support the JSON.

And the GAU-12 seems like it’d still be in service. Meh. Probably shouldn’t be a tank killer though.

[quote=“KA101, post:5, topic:8685”]New ammo effects? Yep, needs C++ to support the JSON.

And the GAU-12 seems like it’d still be in service. Meh. Probably shouldn’t be a tank killer though.[/quote]

Well this begs the question though, it the “Tank Drone” actually a Main Battle tank? Or is it a heavily armored light vehicle, on par with an APC? Because if it’s got the armor of an APC a 25mm could do serious damage to it, but if it’s an MBT, you /could/ win, theoretically, but you’d need to be aiming for the engine, and score multiple direct hits.

Regardless, multiple hits would be needed.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:6, topic:8685”][quote=“KA101, post:5, topic:8685”]New ammo effects? Yep, needs C++ to support the JSON.

And the GAU-12 seems like it’d still be in service. Meh. Probably shouldn’t be a tank killer though.[/quote]

Well this begs the question though, it the “Tank Drone” actually a Main Battle tank? Or is it a heavily armored light vehicle, on par with an APC? Because if it’s got the armor of an APC a 25mm could do serious damage to it, but if it’s an MBT, you /could/ win, theoretically, but you’d need to be aiming for the engine, and score multiple direct hits.

Regardless, multiple hits would be needed.[/quote]

Automated tank, with depleted-uranium plate per the description. Probably closer to a mini-MBT since it doesn’t need the crew space.

Not a MBT for sure, not nearly big enough for that kind of armor, really more like a tachicoma from GitS:
(action figures, but roughly the right scale)

It might be good armor, but I wouldn’t imagine it’s that thick.

[quote=“KA101, post:7, topic:8685”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:6, topic:8685”][quote=“KA101, post:5, topic:8685”]New ammo effects? Yep, needs C++ to support the JSON.

Regardless, multiple hits would be needed.[/quote]

Automated tank, with depleted-uranium plate per the description. Probably closer to a mini-MBT since it doesn’t need the crew space.[/quote]

…Truth be told I’m not 100% DU plating actually makes it any better armorwise, just heavier… That said if it’s the size of a Tachicoma it’s probably not gonna take too many hits from a 25mm gun, even with uber-armor.

Tachikomas would be mad vulnerable to HMG fire. Against a sufficiently dedicated fireteam an APC can be very quickly reduced being not cover just by sustained .50 cal fire. IMO the tankbots, if they’re designed to be resistant to small arms fire, would probably be something similar to a Fox Scout Car, but with a fair few more layers of armour.

How feasible would it really be to mount such weapon systems on a vehicle though?

If I mounted a GAU-8 on my car, put the car in neutral, and started firing backward from a standstill, I would be breaking the interstate speed limit in less than three seconds.

Then again this is the Cataclysm after all, so I look forward to what can be made!

[quote=“Marza, post:11, topic:8685”]How feasible would it really be to mount such weapon systems on a vehicle though?

If I mounted a GAU-8 on my car, put the car in neutral, and started firing backward from a standstill, I would be breaking the interstate speed limit in less than three seconds.

Then again this is the Cataclysm after all, so I look forward to what can be made![/quote]

I don’t know, I don’t plan to mount a GAU-8 on a Sedan… Pretty sure one of my vehicles could handle the recoil, at least with the parking brake on. XD

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:8, topic:8685”]Not a MBT for sure, not nearly big enough for that kind of armor, really more like a tachicoma from GitS:

It might be good armor, but I wouldn’t imagine it’s that thick.[/quote]

Gotta say I thought tank drones were larger than that, but that’s me. shrug

They’re single square so they can’t be too big. We won’t be able to have real tanks until we get support for either multi-square-enemies or npc-vehicles.

[quote=“KA101, post:13, topic:8685”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:8, topic:8685”]Not a MBT for sure, not nearly big enough for that kind of armor, really more like a tachicoma from GitS:

It might be good armor, but I wouldn’t imagine it’s that thick.[/quote]

Gotta say I thought tank drones were larger than that, but that’s me. shrug[/quote]

Truth be told I kinda imaged more “Tiny Tank” style things (Old Playstation game) Tiny Tank was the size of a vending machine.

I’ve always pictured tank drones to be along the lines of this thing:

The tank drone is equipped with a 120mm cannon, right? Those things are beefy.

Anyhow, what this thread really needs is howitzers and MRLSs so that I can reach out and touch things miles away.

Howitzers and MLRS would probably make it in, though in a very limited scope. Since you don’t have advanced target tracking and a satellite uplink (yet, maybe) you’ll be forced to make use of the howitzers and rocket launchers at a vastly decreased range (to represent your lack of an over-the-horizon method of targeting.)

Meanwhile, schoolwork.

In any case, priority right now is to set up a git branch, get the items and crafting trees in, and then tweak for balance.

Marza what game is that mate? :slight_smile:

It’s Xenonauts, an X-COM alike set during the Cold War. It’s quite fun to play, given how little I’ve played of it.

You’d do it old-school, go scout, choose a target, go back yo your artillery, do some math for distance, trajectory, etc, set your aim, fire a volley, then go check the damage. If you’re trying to hit a hulk it’s a bit of a problem, if you’re trying to hit a town, not so much. Somewhere in between, hitting a building would be hard but possible.