Melee weapon mods

I had a thought, we have a lot of guns but a few mods that are very cross-compatible for all the guns.

So why not melee weapons?

I think we should start simple with:
Blades (1 knife or scissors, duct tape or string) (Adds piercing damage to the weapon)
Heavy (6 scrap or 1 steel lump or 1 gold bar, duct tape or string) (multiplier to bash damage)
Sharp (2 scrap or 1 steel lump) (multiplier to piercing damage)
Enhanced grip (4 leather patch or 4 rag, sewing kit (15 charges) or duct tape) (makes the weapon get stuck less often)

Huh–some of that’s supposed to happen with Artifacts but IME it’s insignificant. Could be a worthwhile idea.

maybe more like temporary buffs that wear off, like sharpening stones or something? i mean if you have a machete its not like you add more blades to it to make it a better weapon, right?

I’d assume with a machete or anything like that you would attach a blade below the hilt for another blade that may be sharper than the current one.

But yeah, they should be temporary with condition levels.

whenever my character picks up nails i wonder ‘why am i not welding these on to everything i own?’

melee mods would take a long time to perfect, short term solution would be making craftable melee weapons with special effects like setting target on fire,acid dmg,freezing dmg,electric dmg on critical hits or until melee weapon charges is still available.

No they wouldn’t.

The framework from firearms mods is already there, just some simple hack 'n slash coding could make it right for melee aswell.

Also no acid/fire/freeze/stun effects, because that sounds very improbable.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:7, topic:1825”]No they wouldn’t.

The framework from firearms mods is already there, just some simple hack 'n slash coding could make it right for melee aswell.

Also no acid/fire/freeze/stun effects, because that sounds very improbable.[/quote]

those effects are plausible especially FIRE to give on fire status since we have torches we set on fire (Torch_LIT) also futuristic type melee and other improvised stuff could input those effects.

No, the torch lighting is actually the item being deleted, replaced, and emitting light.

If this was done with melee weapons you would get weirdness like wielding a none or something like that.

Acid and freeze effects? Really? Fire and stun maybe. But your off your rocker if you think you can coat a baseball bat in sulfuric acid and have it melt zombies on contact. Anything with a freeze or acid effect would disintegrate in your hands.

Bladed and piercing weapons should be able to be sharpened to increase damage and decrease probability of getting stuck in an enemy.

The ability to reinforce bashing weapons with added weight and damage for even more smashing power would be ideal as well.

Keep things simple for now and work up from there.

I want to be able to attach a miniature flamethrower to my machete, use it to heat the blade to red-hot temperatures, and cauterize zombies to death with a blazing blade of awesome.

blazing blade of limp soft metal. youd ruin the machete - steel gets soft when it’s hot. you wouldn’t be able to cut things with it.

and why would you attach the heat source to the machete to do that? makes no sense. even if youre doing that you dont want to swing the flameathrower too

Yeah, an oxyacetylene torch with tanks small enough to carry around will only burn for about 5 minutes too.

I was thinking more like gasoline soaked rags on a pipe.

maybe make a crafting option for items you want to mod.

such as ‘add spikes’ would use nails and a welder/hammer. much like we do with a bat -> nail bat.
‘electrify’ - add a UPS so it shocks on hits whilst using charges - such as with a pipe/machete/aluminium bat. i’m assuming with the last example you could insulate yourself somehow - otherwise your first crating experience would be hilarious.

also obviously not every item could be modded in this way. you could add spikes (with a welder) to a pipe, or electrify it (or both?) but you couldn’t electrify a pointy stick… unless you had barb wire to wrap around it… and why don’t we use barb wire for more stuff - it seems too awesome not to.

i want my electrified, homemade knuckle dusters to be bristling with spikes god damn it!

[quote=“Tripsky, post:14, topic:1825”]maybe make a crafting option for items you want to mod.

such as ‘add spikes’ would use nails and a welder/hammer. much like we do with a bat -> nail bat.
‘electrify’ - add a UPS so it shocks on hits whilst using charges - such as with a pipe/machete/aluminium bat. i’m assuming with the last example you could insulate yourself somehow - otherwise your first crating experience would be hilarious.

also obviously not every item could be modded in this way. you could add spikes (with a welder) to a pipe, or electrify it (or both?) but you couldn’t electrify a pointy stick… unless you had barb wire to wrap around it… and why don’t we use barb wire for more stuff - it seems too awesome not to.

i want my electrified, homemade knuckle dusters to be bristling with spikes god damn it![/quote]

yeah well eventually get to work on making “unarmed” specialty RP gloves as for the mods they just need to have new flags and effects coded in then the easy part of adding said gloves.

blazing blade of limp soft metal. youd ruin the machete - steel gets soft when it’s hot. you wouldn’t be able to cut things with it.

and why would you attach the heat source to the machete to do that? makes no sense. even if youre doing that you dont want to swing the flameathrower too[/quote]

Yeah, No. 9 (Akropolis) & his flaming machete from Parasite Eve 2 isn’t precisely realistic. Still kinda nifty.

(Let’s not even get into the gunblade or M4A1 Pyke/Javelin.)

and why would you attach the heat source to the machete to do that? makes no sense. even if youre doing that you dont want to swing the flameathrower too[/quote]

Yeah, No. 9 (Akropolis) & his flaming machete from Parasite Eve 2 isn’t precisely realistic. Still kinda nifty.

(Let’s not even get into the gunblade or M4A1 Pyke/Javelin.)[/quote]

hehe that No.9 guy sure knows good weapons. (but still it’s plausible to implement in the game)

Also gunblades that appear in Final Fantasy VIII that could fire revolver rounds would be awesome and easy to put in.

Yeah.

Holy shit it’s gone off the rails!

Re: Gunblade
Simply stick a bayonet on your revolver.

Now, about modding melee weapons. Realistically, melee weapons that are designed to be melee weapons function as a single unit. Sadly there isn’t much need to modify them beyond the already mentioned sharpening, oiling and grip tape and maybe serration (bonus damage but reduced armor penetration and higher chance of sticking in the enemy). You don’t want things like electric cables or flammable tubes dangling off your blade, things that can get stuck or yanked off or shaken loose onto you- you do not want to worry about that kind of crap when locked in mortal combat.

However, makeshift and high-tech futuristic weapons are fair game!
That said I think we need a plasma sword weapon that runs on batteries or UPS. I want to stuff it full of all kinds of electronic mods to alter fluctuation speed and burn crest or whatever.

I just wanted some basic stat increasing mods so people did have something to stick on melee weapons like guns have.

Loosing your favorite firearm does not equal losing your favorite melee weapon.