Kickstarter Thread - The Kickstarter is being fulfilled

I think the low sanity/morale should have (maybe with the right traits) also some good or at least neutral aspects.
Turning into a careless psycho could remove further regrets from butchering children or maybe lower pain penalties.

i just want to say that Eternal Darkness was a great game and i like that it even came up in this discussion, its like i dont even are what else happens today

Oh hey, apparently I asked this question in release thread instead of here :). Who should I contact to learn a bit about current status of Kickstarter Rewards? Mine was creating an NPC, was a list for that created already somewhere and I didn’t get my email, or do I have to wait longer to be able to contribute?

P.S. It said “Estimated delivery: Oct 2013” :slight_smile: I know it was not easy to do because we have this:

“Myself and swwu have been hard at work on the NPC code needed to fulfill the rewards for those backers who wanted a custom NPC. I’ve also finalized the form for the Thank You letters for our most awesome backers at the highest tiers - each one will be unique and have a “story” behind it. I hope you enjoy them, when they arrive, which probably won’t be until after Christmas. The NPCs might end up taking a few months into next year to finish, but we’re hoping to start actually putting NPC requests into the new system by later January.”

So, it’s March now, how is it going? I am not in a hurry and I am okay if it’s EVER put in, doesn’t matter when. I am just afraid I missed a survey or something.

You have not missed it no. Unfortunately not much more to say, we could grind through gathering those and sticking them into the currently broken NPCs, and then transfer them over once the new NPCs are working, but I honestly don’t think that would make anyone happy :confused:

Nah, but if some person could create a thread with info about custom stuff we are supposed to add and kept updating it slowly (i.e. player created houses - collected/partly implemented, player named NPCs - collected/not implemented, player created NPCs - not collected/not implemented) then it would make us all feel better and show that you care. I personally love what are you doing and I keep thinking about future of the game, that is why I want to be a part of it :).

this

and it should be stickied, at least the one about payer rewards

Well maybe the people don’t really care about supporters and only care about the game, that would be fine for me as well because I can understand that. Anyway it would be nice to have an “official” reply about that some time in the future.

The z-level needed features are now listed on the github and the rewards/bounties for doing them should be up soon.

Thank you Zireael :).

(As I understand it, backer-contributed NPC names have been in. This is the first major step in Kickstarter-relavant* NPC work that I’ve seen, so advertising it: custom convo, mission/AI, and to some extent gear/stat/skill issue.)

Hey, for the folks looking for NPCs, Acidia’s taking custom conversations, etc in the Refugee Center. If you’ve got a personality fleshed out, you might check the Library thread and let Acidia know so xe can work it in!

*Yeah, overhauling the infrastructure was a major thing, but didn’t immediately affect KS issues. This does.

Ahhh, that’s good news!! I’ll check that out.

Ugh, I feel like such an ass for asking (my avatar better be the butt one right now) but I am not on the official list of backers since I contributed with that comic instead of literal funds. I didn’t have a credit card at the time to additionally do so financially. :c

Am I on that NPC name list? I’d like to be as Edmund Hawkins, but not if it means pushing for something I haven’t technically earned.

Didnt get to do it :frowning:

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:411, topic:1854”]Ahhh, that’s good news!! I’ll check that out.

Ugh, I feel like such an ass for asking (my avatar better be the butt one right now) but I am not on the official list of backers since I contributed with that comic instead of literal funds. I didn’t have a credit card at the time to additionally do so financially. :c

Am I on that NPC name list? I’d like to be as Edmund Hawkins, but not if it means pushing for something I haven’t technically earned.[/quote]

Not as a backer, but Edmund and Hawkins can show up as random-rolled names in the relevant slots. I know I wasn’t comfortable contributing via online-banking, either (would have just sent a check for $40 or whatever to get a custom building).

So if we donate using the current links what do the funds go to?

If you want to post a bounty on a given Issue, the bountysource links on Git are the way to go. Likewise if you want to make sure your money goes to a particular portion of z-levels.

The Support Cataclysm button is a general fund ATM. Chances are Kevin and/or GlyphGryph will use it to increase the z-level bounties, but to my knowledge there’s no specific mandate that such happen.

That said, the z-levels seem Cursed as nobody’s managed to actually finish 'em, and folks who try tend to Mysteriously Fade Away from the project. We could use a few good people to shut that curse down.

[hr]

As for the Kickstarter:
Aside from a hangup in the JSON parser (I expect we can fix that in about a day’s worth of work), we have the infrastructure to build people’s houses pretty much as soon as we receive their plans.

NPCs will take longer to turn around from plans to implementation (and would be in a temporary location for the moment), but we can take you prisoner in the bandit camp or shelter you with the refugees more or less now. (You could be a bandit, too, but then folks’ll probably kill you on sight, and nobody will care about any personality, etc.)

My only knowledge of coding is decades old LPC mud code… I just donated $30 to the general fund. Use it to your best discretion.

If you want to post a bounty on a given Issue, the bountysource links on Git are the way to go. Likewise if you want to make sure your money goes to a particular portion of z-levels.

The Support Cataclysm button is a general fund ATM. Chances are Kevin and/or GlyphGryph will use it to increase the z-level bounties, but to my knowledge there’s no specific mandate that such happen.

That said, the z-levels seem Cursed as nobody’s managed to actually finish 'em, and folks who try tend to Mysteriously Fade Away from the project. We could use a few good people to shut that curse down.

[hr]

As for the Kickstarter:
Aside from a hangup in the JSON parser (I expect we can fix that in about a day’s worth of work), we have the infrastructure to build people’s houses pretty much as soon as we receive their plans.

NPCs will take longer to turn around from plans to implementation (and would be in a temporary location for the moment), but we can take you prisoner in the bandit camp or shelter you with the refugees more or less now. (You could be a bandit, too, but then folks’ll probably kill you on sight, and nobody will care about any personality, etc.)[/quote]

I’ve spent about 2 months trying to work on the 3D code, and the long and short of it is this:

As the game currently is programmed, you’re not going to find anyone able to do it. It’d take at least a full 2 weeks of works laying down the framework, and you’d have to pretty much have to gut almost every single thing and re-program how it works. Even the small things like making monsters move around when you’re in another Z-level are damn near impossible, and interacting between those Z-levels is insane. There are currently just too many pointers to write and re-write, I’ve given up on it.

As a joke project, I’ve almost gotten Cataclysm to load up in Unreal Engine.

I am actually fairly happy with how it’s right now, there is no need to have such a big interaction between z levels. I think the only thing needed would be that, before going to another one, the stairs you use more or less scan it’s surroundings to make the zombies go up in a while, more or less like it works for now but with a bigger scan radius? That would be enough for me. There are already experimental z levels and I think they are pretty much awesome.

You would be suggesting that stairs would effectively have double the reality bubble being processed around them. Triple if there’s a basement AND an upstairs. If things were more than one floor apart (office buildings), there would still be a lack of interaction by simply travelling two floors away from a monster.

I dunno, maybe that’s still within reasonable limitations to expect decent game performance but I could see even a simple hack-y fix causing staircases to become lagbombs that nobody has love for. which bums me out, but even in this relatively flatworld, cata is pretty damned awesome and I have yet to grow tired of it.

Nonono, like to scan it’s surroundings before changing z level, and then calculate a number of movements depending on how far the creature was of the stairs and if it was chasing you to make it start climbing the stairs.