Humble Idea Bundle 0.0.9

Martial Arts

Kenjutsu (Art of the blade)

Kenjutsu is a general Japanese sword style (like Kendo) in which you hold the hilt/grip with both hands, increasing general force applied

Downward Strike - Taking a step forward, knee bent, you slice downward into your opponent (hitting torso / head)

Kendo Blade Block - Placing one hand on the back of the blade, (obviously doesn’t work with two sided blades) holding the weapon horizontally you block the incoming strike with the center of the blade.

Thrust - with both hinds on the hilt/grip (bottom if no grip/hilt) of the weapon, a precise stab (with weapon held upside down above the neck [I wish I could explain this better]) with the point/end of the blade is swiftly jutted into the opponent.

Backstep - due to the Kendo stance (one foot forward) it is fairly easy to backstep, to avoid an incoming attack. [You backstep the Zombies attack] {something like a dodge}

[size=10pt]Jail House Rock[/size]

Jail House Rock is an unarmed fighting style developed in the U.S… It was often used prison guards, but was originally developed by AFRICAN AMERICAN SLAVES {hint hint to those too silly to USE GOOGLE} (and adapted by Klu Klux Klan members, but just forget about that when you choose this style). [I WILL ADD IN HERE THAT IT WAS DEVELOPED BY AFRICAN AMERICANS]

Roundhouse Kick - A pivoting leg strike in which you swing your leg into your opponent’s torso or legs.

52 Hand Block - You’ve been trained to block without sustaining damage to yourself, and counter your opponents strikes.

Prison Drop (counter) - You grapple your opponent, jamming your fist into the center of their torso (or mass if not humanoid) pulling them to the ground.

Shoulder Drop - You grab your opponent tossing them over your shoulder (displacing them behind you, or if there’s a wall, dealing extra damage)

Subdue (combo) - You drive your knee into your opponent’s torso, and (with both fists) bash them in the back of the head (as they fall forward) Stunning and grounding the opponent.

“Self Defense” (combo) - You drive your fist into the opponents torso, jam your fingers into their eyes (if applicable) smash both hands into the opponents temples, then roundhouse kick them to the ground.

Poisons

Perhaps another interesting, yet simple idea would be the ability to use chemistry in a far more offensive way, poisons!
I know this is kind of generic, but if made correctly poisons could be an interesting way of making archery a bit more powerful, or even CQC.

(I don’t think these will work against the undead… but maybe we can find a way.)

Flechette rounds (the spikes) could be made with poison, to increase damage, or apply a DOT effect.
Blades can be charged with poison (15-30 hits?)
Poison can be applied to blowgun darts

You can use survival skills to search bushes, finding more herbs used to make poisons.

Alien Tech

So far we have laser, and plasma type weapons for advanced technology (or futuristic technology if you will) but if the world can end from anything, why not aliens as well?

I wasn’t thinking of making aliens or their weapons being common spawns, but instead just like artifacts, spawn in random locations (or however the artifact spawn mechanic works).

With this can come many things, new weapons, enemies, (vehicles?,) electronics, etc.

The “???” Season

In my poor Diablo reference post, I actually think I found a good addition to the game, the “???” season.

“Season switches to ???, (Fire storms, day/night reversed, Rains blood [ and meat storms! ], always 50+ degrees F, Gut trees / eye berries begin to grow… (Nether creature spawns, etc.)”

Though I know this perhaps doesn’t add any new mechanics per se, I think this idea can be expanded upon to make it a cool new addition.

Military Bunker and Lab Expansions

New rooms:

Government Weapons Testing Facility (find Alien/advanced tech in a testing room, with some strong zombies/alien creatures)
Infested Lab (Lab taken over by alien flesh-like fungus)
Failed [successful ;)] Portal Testing Chamber (Open Nether portal, dead scientists, some related items)

Items

Acid Spreadshot (Spitter glands + buckshot?)
Severed Alien Appendage (A weapon that breaks down bio-material into plasma like shots)
Nightshade (flower)

Enemies

Gonarch (Alien type, spits hallucinogenic acid, spawns Child Gonarches)

Irradiated scorpions / roaches ( like the ones from Fallout 3)

Flesh Walker (Demon type, tall fleshy being that launches sacks of human parts (splash damage effect, leaves player disgusted (applies insanity effect) and can transfer diseases).

I will expand upon the Humble Idea bundle, later on today, if you have any ideas you wish for me to add, put em’ into a reply.

There are no aliens in Cata.

But um yeah, I don’t really think it would fit in the game.

I find it interesting how Cataclysm has infectuous zombies, radioactive mutants, sentient mushrooms, transdimensional aberrations and hellspawn, but not the only remotely scientifically plausible type of nonhuman adversaries. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would be more interested in seeing the chinese attempt something to win the cata universe cold war.

Didn’t Sun Tzu said something about chaos and the opportunities it brings?

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:5, topic:7544”]I would be more interested in seeing the chinese attempt something to win the cata universe cold war.

Didn’t Sun Tzu said something about chaos and the opportunities it brings?[/quote]

Indeed. But chances are the Chinese have their own Cataclysm happening too. (And if they don’t, go Mycus and build enough fungal blossoms to get the spores into the upper atmosphere. Jet stream’ll take care of the rest.)

[quote=“KA101, post:6, topic:7544”][quote=“John Candlebury, post:5, topic:7544”]I would be more interested in seeing the chinese attempt something to win the cata universe cold war.

Didn’t Sun Tzu said something about chaos and the opportunities it brings?[/quote]

Indeed. But chances are the Chinese have their own Cataclysm happening too. (And if they don’t, go Mycus and build enough fungal blossoms to get the spores into the upper atmosphere. Jet stream’ll take care of the rest.)[/quote]

My people ;_;

Race jokes aside, I’m sure hostile countries would be taking huge moves on other countries during the Cata.

Sounds like a success to me. Well ok, it has a few “side effects”, but it did WORK.

Isn’t this portion of the forums about new additions? My point is that there are no aliens in cata… which means I think they could be an interesting new addition.

Sounds like a success to me. Well ok, it has a few “side effects”, but it did WORK.[/quote]

Haha I guess it was a success XD.

[quote=“Apex, post:1, topic:7544”]You hold the hilt/grip with both hands, increasing general force applied
Downward Strike - Taking a step forward, knee bent, you slice downward into your opponent (hitting torso / head)[/quote]
Time to get my Zaraki Kenpachi on (+1 if you get the reference.)

[quote=“Zaweri Runewright, post:11, topic:7544”][quote=“Apex, post:1, topic:7544”]You hold the hilt/grip with both hands, increasing general force applied
Downward Strike - Taking a step forward, knee bent, you slice downward into your opponent (hitting torso / head)[/quote]
Time to get my Zaraki Kenpachi on (+1 if you get the reference.)[/quote]

I get it :stuck_out_tongue:

I doubt anyone will add aliens, but I do like the idea of grasping a melee weapon with both hands.

Weapons that require two hands are exempt, but a person with sufficient strength could possibly wield a zewihander with one hand.

AND I WANT TO USE MY TWO HANDS.

The game in general could use more weapon styles to complement/add to the weapon’s innate techniques.

I know there’s fencing and some indian thing for short blades, would be nice to see a style for broadswords, Zweihanders and possibly more.
I don’t think style techniques right now can be dependent on equipment, but it would be great to have certain western sword techniques require armoured hands to grab the blade.

Anyways, +1 to blade Kenpo, with proper balancing.

a person with sufficient strength could possibly wield a Zweihander with one hand.
I don't think it's so much a matter of strength as it is a matter of speed and balance..

I suppose either someone that became really large due to mutation or really strong AND heavy due to CBMs (I’m assuming a fully armour plated bio-survivor would be quite heavy for instance) could wield large blades one handed with reasonable effectiveness though.

Someone writes up Kenjutsu, I’ll gladly mergetest it. If I don’t get fed up with waiting and write it myself.

I just saw the prison-guard/KKK style. Nope. That’s not going to happen.

[quote=“KA101, post:15, topic:7544”]Someone writes up Kenjutsu, I’ll gladly mergetest it. If I don’t get fed up with waiting and write it myself.

I just saw the prison-guard/KKK style. Nope. That’s not going to happen.[/quote]

I wish you’d give a little more input rather than just shooting an idea down.

[quote=“Apex, post:16, topic:7544”][quote=“KA101, post:15, topic:7544”]Someone writes up Kenjutsu, I’ll gladly mergetest it. If I don’t get fed up with waiting and write it myself.

I just saw the prison-guard/KKK style. Nope. That’s not going to happen.[/quote]

I wish you’d give a little more input rather than just shooting an idea down.[/quote]

Those are perfectly good reasons.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:17, topic:7544”][quote=“Apex, post:16, topic:7544”][quote=“KA101, post:15, topic:7544”]Someone writes up Kenjutsu, I’ll gladly mergetest it. If I don’t get fed up with waiting and write it myself.

I wish you’d give a little more input rather than just shooting an idea down.[/quote]

Those are perfectly good reasons.[/quote]

What I mean is, he just says “nope” rather than telling me exactly WHY my idea is horrible. Maybe then I could revise it and make it worth thinking about.

YOU SAID “KKK STYLE”.

There’s no redeeming feature of a style that glorifies brutalizing prisoners, covering it up as “self-defense” (euphemism quotes original to Apex), and ethnic intimidation (which is pretty much the reason the KKK exists).

Denied, and don’t ask again.