Two sword based martialarts ideas

This is more of a suggestion for two martialarts, than a mod for them. Although I did some basic coding in the json files, and they work at the moment, I am not a coder and would probably make some serious mistakes if I attempted to edit the files needed to make this work as I would like. If anyone would like to fix these up, and rebalance them, then you are free to do so. Otherwise I have done all the ground work to make sure these are accurate (at least for CDDA’s mechanics). The two styles are Kendo, and Niten Ichu Ryuu.

Kendo: This is a modern martialart sport that involves alot of footwork and rapid attacks. Alot of the techniques are suited to putting your opponent off balance. You have quick strikes and overhead strikes as well as a footwork buff and a buff for consecutively attacking. The attacking buff gives you more blocks, speed and damage. This would ideally be learned from a dojo. Weapons would be limited to long swords, and blunt objects like pipes and maces.

Niten Ichi Ryuu: This is an ancient martialart developed by Miyamoto Musashi himself. This is the most suited ancient school for a cataclysm, since there is a very handy book describing every technique. While it does go into great detail, the book only discusses the strategy behind the moves. Thus you would need to be very skilled to learn from the book. Ideally, the martial art is learned from teachers, or from finding a copy of The Book of Five Rings. Weapons should be limited to long swords and short swords, this could be expanded to staves and spears since the book describes basic ways to use these in battle.

Flowing Water Cut: You cut as slow as possible to increase to force of your swing.

Red Leaf’s Cut: You knock the opponent over by disrupting their balance.

Fire and Stone’s Cut: You stun your opponent with a strike with your entire body’s force behind it.

In-One Timing: This technique is intended to be a move that requires you to wait for an opportunity, however it isn’t reasonable to code this from a json file. Thus this move is scrapped. It could be replaced with a faster move (under the same name) and still fit the move’s roots reasonably well.

There is supposed to be a buff for standing still, however it doesn’t work properly. This buff would make it easier to cut and dodge based on perception.

“Isn’t this a dual wielding style?” - The book describes training with two swords, and using two swords if surrounded. But it never actually describes any attacks that require two swords, or recommends using two weapons to attack with simultaneously. Thus these are one (or two) handed techniques that could be adapted for dual wielding, but are single weapon techniques.

Feel free to use the code in the spoiler below or code this yourself. I have some personal matters to attend to, so I wouldn’t be able to get around to learning how to fix this up myself for quite some time.

[spoiler] },{
“type” : “martial_art”,
“id” : “style_niten”,
“name” : “Niten Ichi Ryuu”,
“description” : “Niten Ichi Ryuu is an ancient school, transmitting a style of classical Japanese swordsmanship conceived by the warrior Miyamoto Musashi”,
“static_buffs” : [
{
“id”: “niten_stationary_buff”,
“name” : “Niten Ryuu”,
“description” : “Perception increases dodging and damage”,
“melee_allowed” : true,
“min_melee” : 2,
“cut_per” : 1.1,
“bash_per” : 1.1,
“dodge_per” : 0.5,
“bonus_dodges” : 3
}
],
“onmove_buffs” : [
{
“id” : “niten_move_buff”,
“name” : “Blocking”,
“description” : “You forgoe dodging to attack”,
“max_stacks” : 1,
“buff_duration” : 2,
“bonus_dodges” : -10,
“bonus_blocks” : 2
}
],
“onhit_buffs” : [
{
“id” : “niten_hit_buff”,
“name” : “Blocking”,
“description” : “You forgoe dodging to attack”,
“bonus_dodges” : -10,
“bonus_blocks” : 2
}
],
“ondodge_buffs” : [
{
“id” : “niten_set-up”,
“name” : “In-One Timing Set-Up”,
“description” : “You found a gap in the enemy’s defense!”,
“melee_allowed”: true,
“min_melee” : 4,
“cut_mult” : 1
}
],
“techniques” : [
“niten_water_cut”,
“niten_red_leaf”,
“niten_stone_cut”,
“niten_timing_attack”,
“niten_feint”
]
},{
“type” : “martial_art”,
“id” : “style_kendo”,
“name” : “Kendo”,
“description” : “Kendo is a physically and mentally challenging activity that combines martial arts practices and values with sport-like strenuous physical activity.”,
“static_buffs” : [
{
“id” : “kendo_static”,
“name” : “Kendo”,
“description” : “Extra bash damage”,
“bash_mult” : 1.5
}
],
“onmove_buffs” : [
{
“id” : “kendo_move_buff”,
“name” : “Kendo Footwork”,
“description” : “You’re set up to strike”,
“min_melee” : 1
"buff_duration" : 2,
“max_stacks” : 2,
“hit_dex” : 0.25,
“bash_mult” : 1.1,
“cut_mult” : 1.1
}
],
“onhit_buffs” : [
{
“id” : “kendo_hit_buff”,
“name” : “Striking Rhythm”,
“description” : “Consecutive attacks”,
“buff_duration” : 3,
“max_stacks” : 4,
“speed” : 2,
“hit_dex” : 0.1,
“cut_mult” : 1.05,
“bash_mult” : 1.05,
“bonus_block” : 1,
“block_per” : 0.25
}
],
“techniques” : [
“kendo_rapid”,
“kendo_precise”
]
}

},{
“type” : “technique”,
“id” : “niten_water_cut”,
“name” : “Flowing Water Cut”,
“messages” : [
“You strike %s with a slow but powerful swing”,
" strikes %s with a slow but powerful swing"
],
“cut_mult” : 2.5,
“speed_mult” : 1.5
},{
“id” : “niten_red_leaf”,
“name” : “Red Leaf’s Cut”,
“min_melee” : 3,
“down_dur” : 2,
“Your strike knocks %s off balance”,
"'s strike knocks %s off balance"
]
},{
“id” : “niten_stone_cut”,
“name” : “Fire and Stone’s Cut”,
“crit_tec” : true,
“You stun %s with the force of the blow!”,
" stuns %s with the force of the blow!"
],
“cut_mult” : 1.4,
“bash_mult” : 1.2,
“stun_dir” : 2
},{
“id” : “niten_timing_attack”,
“name” : “In-One Timing”,
“req_buffs” : [
“niten_set-up”
],
“You strike at %s weaknesses!”,
" strikes %s weaknesses!"
],
“cut_mult” : 2,
“bash_mult” : 1.4,
“quick” : true,
“stun_dir” : 1
},{
“id” : “niten_feint”,
“name” : “feint at”,
“defensive” : true,
“miss_recovery” : true,
“speed_mult” : 0.8,
“You feint at %s”,
" feints at %s"
]
},{
“id” : “kendo_rapid”,
“name” : “quick strike”,
“min_melee” : 1,
“You quickly hit %s”,
" quicky hits %s"
],
“speed_mult” : 0.75
},{
“id” : “kendo_precise”,
“name” : “overhead strike”,
“crit_tec” : true,
“You hit %s with an overhead swing!”,
" hits %s with an overhead swing!"
],
“stun_dur” : 2
}
[/spoiler]

Kendo is a sport form and should get you killed in a serious combat situation; there’s a reason I kept specifying kenjutsu. Niten Ichi Ryuu may be a better solution.

Kendo = You whack your opponent over the head with a large stick many times.

Other sword* fighting styles = Try to get around the side, trick them, stab them, slice around really fast, etc.

Yeah… Kendo isn’t gonna work against zombies or NPCs.

*Them kendo sticks do look cool, but not as cool as a sharp sword.

I have done some kendo and and someone good at kendo should get some serious speed and to hit bonus but maybe a damage decrease because the have been trained to just lightly tap their opponent. Also a mace would be too unbalanced for a sword stile so make it pipes, branches and swords.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:3, topic:8201”]Kendo = You whack your opponent over the head with a large stick many times.

Other sword* fighting styles = Try to get around the side, trick them, stab them, slice around really fast, etc.

Yeah… Kendo isn’t gonna work against zombies or NPCs.

*Them kendo sticks do look cool, but not as cool as a sharp sword.[/quote]
So whacking an unarmoured (heck, even armoured) zombie over the HEAD hard with a large stick (or other large, heavy weapon) would not be as good as using a sword?

Because while you’re doing it, the zombie doesn’t give a crap. It’ll keep coming at you.

Kendo does have very simple footwork and a just hit the other guy a moment before you are hit mentality.

Kendo does have very simple footwork and a just hit the other guy a moment before you are hit mentality.[/quote]

This is the reason Fencing should at least give a debuff against multiple targets, if not be actively bad for your defense. In modern sport fencing, certain footwork is not permitted; foil/sabre have specific rules for when you may “legitimately” attack; if you didn’t follow those rules, your hit may not count; and worst of all, only the first hit counts (as electrically timed, to way less than a second).

So a champion sport fencer is trained to not worry so much about minimizing getting hit (keep it to nonvital areas and/or trivial injuries, if you can’t avoid damage at all), as making sure that xe hits the opponent first. That will get you killed in combat, where we don’t stop and reset after a point gets scored.

Kendo does have very simple footwork and a just hit the other guy a moment before you are hit mentality.[/quote]

This is the reason Fencing should at least give a debuff against multiple targets, if not be actively bad for your defense. In modern sport fencing, certain footwork is not permitted; foil/sabre have specific rules for when you may “legitimately” attack; if you didn’t follow those rules, your hit may not count; and worst of all, only the first hit counts (as electrically timed, to way less than a second).

So a champion sport fencer is trained to not worry so much about minimizing getting hit (keep it to nonvital areas and/or trivial injuries, if you can’t avoid damage at all), as making sure that xe hits the opponent first. That will get you killed in combat, where we don’t stop and reset after a point gets scored.[/quote]
What if there are modern fencing styles (kendo, fencing) that are easy to get but not as effective as rare historical styles.

I have some experience in the German school of fencing and I could help to create something in that area.

So a champion sport fencer is trained to not worry so much about minimizing getting hit (keep it to nonvital areas and/or trivial injuries, if you can’t avoid damage at all), as making sure that xe hits the opponent first. That will get you killed in combat, where we don’t stop and reset after a point gets scored.[/quote]
What if there are modern fencing styles (kendo, fencing) that are easy to get but not as effective as rare historical styles.

I have some experience in the German school of fencing and I could help to create something in that area.[/quote]

Please do. That said, Niten Ichi Ryuu hasn’t been merged because it’s not on Git. Throwing JSON on the forum is better than never posting it at all, but neither NIR nor German fencing will make it into mainline unless someone files a pull request.

Doubleposting to point out that I’m PRing NIR myself based on this JSON, and will likely add bokken, shinai, the Book of Five Rings, and spawn points. (Most likely in mansions.)

Purplewisp, if you have a Git account I’d like to be able to credit you on the PR. If you have one, PM me your callsign & e-mail there, please; if not, consider creating one. Thanks.

Squeeee!

As soon as this gets merged I’m going to drop everything to make a wandering zombie-slicin’ samurai!