GUNSMITHING - High (12+) Level Fabrication?

…I’m watching Future Weapons and I can’t help but wonder, we’ve got metalsmithing as is, if the appropriate tools existed in game how complicated would it be (Both from a realism and code standpoint) to add Gunsmithing? Not just making weapons that already exist, but player-designed weapons?

You’d need not just high skill but precision tools (now possible with the quality level requirement on recipes).

You’d probably need decent mechanics skill as well, for the various moving parts and physics problems.

And of course you need decent cooking skill to actually make the ammo, but that’s a slightly different issue I suppose.

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:2, topic:3621”]You’d need not just high skill but precision tools (now possible with the quality level requirement on recipes).

You’d probably need decent mechanics skill as well, for the various moving parts and physics problems.

And of course you need decent cooking skill to actually make the ammo, but that’s a slightly different issue I suppose.[/quote]

Personally, I’d just love to see some of the assorted things people would make on their own. Obviously this is all meant to be high, high level stuff (I’ve noticed a lot of people complaining about high-level skills) But I’d love to pull into a machine shop and throw some assorted parts together and build a rifle. Not a “makeshift” weapon, or pipe rifle, but a professional grade weapon. Plus, it’d give an excuse to add higher-caliber rounds, disassemble weapons, etc.

EDIT: Plus, you’d get the chance of having someone go “I WANT A 40MM MAN PORTABLE HMG.” and have them break their arms. XD

We’d probably call it a “Custom Rifle” or something.

Although the fabrication skill requirements would probably be more in the 7-9 range. We’re working with “10” as the effective cap, and when we get item quality in higher values if possible will only serve to improve precision of results rather than unlock new recipes.

Any way to tie in an item naming system? EG On successful creation “You’ve successfully created a new [WEAPON] what do you call it?”

The interface to name the thing is pretty much the easiest part of it, a whole system for determining how good the gun ends up being and trying to make it remotely balanced, now that’s a PITA.

Which means at some point I should probably get back to work on that dynamic item system I proposed and for which the item factory was the first several steps.

While cool, everything I wanted to say was more or less covered… something awesome

We had a thread very similar, except it handled guns in a editor very similar to the vehicle editor, I think it died at some point.

How would the gun be designed? My guess is it must be similar to vehicles since a custom gun doesn’t have predefined recipe.

Personally, making a full-fledged gun from many parts without some kinds of blueprint seems too far-off from realism to me, especially in a apocalyptic scenario when a large part of humanity was destroyed and many advanced technologies have been lost, leaving survivors to scavenge what’s left.
Balancing a custom gun will be complicated to say the least.

it bothers me a bit how some things, such as barrel caliber replacements confer penalties. Being able to tweak a gun or “accurize” it would be a step in the right direction.

Dangit.
Use the modular system!

[spoiler=Mechanic parts]1) Assault Rifle m. - Good speed, able to burstfire(maybe also fullauto mode? Like, shoot until you can aim enemies and have ammo in the ammo box), utilizes standard rifle ammo, gives out intermediate power but rather rare and hard to manufacture
2) Hand-loading m. - Slow, fully manual, high power, rather easy to manufacture and find
3) SMG m. - very fast, but carries low punch. As difficult as AR mech., but easier to find
4) MG m. - VERY fast, carries power of an elephant, INSANELY HARD TO FIND AND PRODUCE
5) Pistol/revolver m. - semi-auto, low-caliber ammo and shells, easy to find and make
Modifiers:

1. Rapid-fire - allows auto/burst-fire
  2. High-caliber - allows usage of higher caliber
  3. Shell-shot - allows to use shotgun shells
    [/spoiler]
    Barrells: Long-short, heavy-light, caliber dependant, no need to go deep here.

[spoiler=External parts]Stocks:

1. AR - absorbs shock nicely, but rather heavy
  2. SMG - VERY light but absorbs almost no shock
    Modifier: Telescopic - absorbs shock much better
    Handguards:
  3. AR - quite long, allows middle and long barrells
  4. SMG - short barrells only, but light
    Modifier: Railed - allows installation of additional handle
    Handles:
  5. Pistol - light, shitty stability. Used also for SMG
  6. AR - slightly heavier, better stability sine it’s constructed with auto-fire in mind
    Complex parts:
  7. Rifle box - handguard, stock and handle together. Good stability, but heavy. Allows placement of longest barrells
  8. Short-cut rifle box - no stock, shorter handguard, middle-length and short barrells only
  9. Sniper stock - stock combined with handle, very good shock absorption[/spoiler]
    Ammo boxes: too lazy to write it because too obvious

[quote=“trusty_patches, post:12, topic:3621”]Dangit.
Use the modular system!

[spoiler=Mechanic parts]1) Assault Rifle m. - Good speed, able to burstfire(maybe also fullauto mode? Like, shoot until you can aim enemies and have ammo in the ammo box), utilizes standard rifle ammo, gives out intermediate power but rather rare and hard to manufacture
2) Hand-loading m. - Slow, fully manual, high power, rather easy to manufacture and find
3) SMG m. - very fast, but carries low punch. As difficult as AR mech., but easier to find
4) MG m. - VERY fast, carries power of an elephant, INSANELY HARD TO FIND AND PRODUCE
5) Pistol/revolver m. - semi-auto, low-caliber ammo and shells, easy to find and make
Modifiers:

1. Rapid-fire - allows auto/burst-fire
  2. High-caliber - allows usage of higher caliber
  3. Shell-shot - allows to use shotgun shells
    [/spoiler]
    Barrells: Long-short, heavy-light, caliber dependant, no need to go deep here.

[spoiler=External parts]Stocks:

1. AR - absorbs shock nicely, but rather heavy
  2. SMG - VERY light but absorbs almost no shock
    Modifier: Telescopic - absorbs shock much better
    Handguards:
  3. AR - quite long, allows middle and long barrells
  4. SMG - short barrells only, but light
    Modifier: Railed - allows installation of additional handle
    Handles:
  5. Pistol - light, shitty stability. Used also for SMG
  6. AR - slightly heavier, better stability sine it’s constructed with auto-fire in mind
    Complex parts:
  7. Rifle box - handguard, stock and handle together. Good stability, but heavy. Allows placement of longest barrells
  8. Short-cut rifle box - no stock, shorter handguard, middle-length and short barrells only
  9. Sniper stock - stock combined with handle, very good shock absorption[/spoiler]
    Ammo boxes: too lazy to write it because too obvious[/quote]

Everything said here. XD Though I think the SAW uses cloth bags for ammo, could be an amusing thing to see Cloth bags on non-MG weapons XD

we already have ‘crazy’ people with belt fed AKs and ARs It’s not too much of a stretch…

Belt Fed Glock D:

ok… maybe

I would image that many of the weapon mods in game could be used to make guns.

So a pistol grip, rifled barrel, etc. = pistolriflethingie221

[quote=“AseaHeru, post:15, topic:3621”]I would image that many of the weapon mods in game could be used to make guns.

So a pistol grip, rifled barrel, etc. = pistolriflethingie221[/quote]

It’s clever and a few should probably be useable in that way but not all of them, the rifled barrel for example is intended for use on a shotgun (and should make it unsuitable for firing shot, haven’t used it so I don’t know.)

Still, the idea still sora stands.

Can I make a double barrel mag fed shotgun? That would hold 6 or 8 shots? Mag would look like this:

|O-O|
|O-O|
|O-O|
|O-O|

Wouldn’t have to be belt fed.

Did anyone mention belt-fed double-barrell automatic shotgun?
Count me in.