GUNSMITHING - High (12+) Level Fabrication?

I said it was mag fed, but…

You know that we have large capacity shotguns already, right?
And that they are full auto?

[quote=“AseaHeru, post:22, topic:3621”]You know that we have large capacity shotguns already, right?
And that they are full auto?[/quote]

And that a full 30 round mag of 12 gauge shotshells weighs around 8 pounds?

I STILL WANT AN AUTOMATIC DOUBLE BARREL SHOTGUN

Double barrel shotguns should have an alt fire mode where you fire both the barrels at the same time. That’s one reason to use 'em.

Also, WHY CAN’T WE MAKE DOUBLE BARREL PIPE SHOTGUNS

Acquire Two AA12s

Wield one in each hand

…?

Profit

I mean, I could just duct tape two saigas together but the recipe isn’t in there and my fingers would probably not reach the other trigger.

And we both know that you can’t dual wield anything.

How about adding a little stick to the dut-taped saigas that you can actually pull to pull both triggers at once?

GIVE EM THE STICK! DON’T GIVE EM THE STICK!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

As fun as this would be, actually making anything more complex than a muzzleloader or a zipgun generally requires the use of some relatively heavy machinery (a lathe and/or drill press at the very least unless you’re insanely skilled). You could probably find said hardware in LMOE shelters, cabin sheds, public works etc, but I don’t think even a UPS is strong enough to actually power them for a reasonable length of time; you’d need some sort of generator in place to do that.

did someone say

GUNSMITHING?

I went to school for gunsmithing. it’d be interesting to see a feature in cata about this,

also I want to see the ability to make a Remington 1740 870+870+some metal bits =Remington 1740. two recievers held together rigged up to one trigger and one pump. ofcourse in real life you need a left hand 870 and a normal right hand 870 but for cata we could probably let it be. unless…

Left handed options for firearms.

A gun is about as complicated to build as a bicycle. As long as you are not expecting to end up with a world-class, professional result, you can basically put things together using readily available tools, and a well-written guide. Inevitably there will be complications, these can usually be solved. A man named Boris built an AK out of a shovel and a parts kit. I think guns should start to be able to be built at Mechanics 5, starting with copies of simple designs, and eventually at say, Mechanics 8, allowing for the building of tuned, custom versions of common firearms as well as silly things like belt fed automatic 40mm grenade launchers that will only work for specific playstyles (cow mutant or power armor guy).

In my opinion custom guns will have to go from the pipe guns and the likes already in game, adding more recipes before having a whole “custom” side to gun crafting. That’s a solid first step and allow us to toy with different homemade gun concepts.

I kinda want more air-powered weapons.

Think about air pressurized shotguns.

Yeeeesssss.

Electricity is supposedly planned for future updates in the form of generators, and people already use non-vehicles as ad-hoc appliances, so yeah. The problem would just be the machinery.

Speaking of which, would it be possible to create/move certain machinery for fortresses (like the trash compactor and, since we’re on the subject, a lathe)? It’d probably require a lot of skill and possibly a lot of materials, but hay. Nothing like your own lathe in your own fortress.

That’s like saying “I built a car using a car chassis, an engine, and a bicycle”
The parts kit is next to everything you need.

That’s like saying “I built a car using a car chassis, an engine, and a bicycle”
The parts kit is next to everything you need.[/quote]

However, I’ve seen cases of people custom milling their own Mauser style bolt action rifles.

You can argue that they still needed tools, but it’s not like the mechanism behind many firearms isn’t relatively well known. Doing it that way is definitely ‘the hard way’ but it’s doable.

That is true, but people also build tanks as well as live steam locomotives with the same sorts of tools.
But because you have the tools does not men you know how to use it and visaversa.

Guns have anumber of persision parts.

He used the parts kit because otherwise the resulting gun would be illegal in Massachusetts.

Here’s a parts kit for an egyptian AK clone, its everything you need for an AK minus the barrel and reciever (in game, i suppose you would use a pipe for the barrel and forge the receiver yourself. But what is really here? A spring (already in the game, or we could add a small one for crafting), trigger group, , I am not sure what that upper assembly is called, but basically you dont sit down and build an AK, you build AK parts and then you assemble them. When I built my bicycle I started with a steel frame and I added parts, same thing here.

First you would forge or craft a trigger group out of scrap metals and stuff, then the firing assembly, then you would attach a barrel, receiver, and put on a wooden stock and trigger guard. You would need a welder, a forge, anvil, hammer, screwdriver, knife (for carving the stock). It would take probably 2 days to put it all together- We know from real life experience that you can put an AK together with minimal tools, the kind you could probably put together by borrowing from a few friends, but it is not a fast or easy thing. Certainly it is within the realm of a desperate survivor who wants an automatic rifle and has the time and tools for it, even if they have never built a gun before.

Tell me, do you know how to make a firing mechanism?
Yes, with a part kit you can make a gun with the tools, but you still have to know what you are doing.