Beating a dead horse, crafting full auto

I have looked thru the discussions on crafting full auto weapons, and I agree, a survivor would not be capable to craft a full auto mechanism on from scratch. However, what is we were able to find a full auto lower receiver somewhere? It would make sense for the military and police to stock on full auto receivers for parts. Maybe even dissembling another gun we could yield one, one we have no ammo for. Now, once we have this receiver, we could craft a gun around it. A survivor would not have to worry on the intricacies of a complex mechanism but still be able to craft his modular assault rifle after scavenging for the receiver. Now, receivers are already pre-made to fire a specific calibers so should there be receivers for the most common cartridges used by law enforcement (.22, .223, .9mm , .45, 12 gauge ,7.62x39) or just the most common used by the military (.223)? How does this sound?

There’s an autofire mechanism weapon mod already, so…

I don’t mean it like a mod, but something to craft a gun with.

A Sten still sounds infinitely easier to make though. That’s partly why I’ve been pressing that issue for a while. It’s not only plausible, it’s also the original reason I’d added that item, otherwise it’s just yet another 9mm SMG, and not even a good one. It has no gameplay niche. ;A;

Just because I found this recently, and it seems slightly relevant… imagine this as a craftable vehicle mounted weapon.

I implemented my idea into a mod I am making.

Seriously.

The thing strips down to like five pieces, none of which seem especially complex compared to the high tech shit that’s already craftable in this game.

As I’ve repeatedly harped on in the past, yes.

I’m more just pissed the the primary reason for adding the Sten was outright vetoed. We can make some batshit stupid things in Cataclysm, both in terms of realism AND in terms of how gamebreaking they are. Kevin’s argument that it isn’t realistic flat-out ignores evidence showing that isn’t the case, and as for game balance? Compared to things like the repeating crossbow (which apparently will be nerfed eventually) or the pneumatic assault rifle etc etc, this is far more of a flavor item than a feasible weapon of choice.

The guy in the video is even like “This is like something we’d make in the barn UH NOT THAT WE WOULD DO THAT, NOBODY CALL THE ATF”. lol

Ah right, that guy. My siiiides.

Thwap, weren’t you the one that linked to that “Practical Small Arms” thing back when this idea first came up?

survivor with right skills should be able to make sten gun but creating rifled barrel is not that easy most resistances during WWII used smoth barrels it didnt decreased accuracy only effective range was smaller but still effective like one from factory
poland alslo created another gun based on sten design what is even easier to make named lighting

while finding recipe for lighting is probaly impossible (its usa anyway not poland or germany) a rare book with sten gun recipe (and maybe few other too) maybe should be

I remember a video where a guy was making a semi-auto smg and made the mechanism more complex for it to be semi-auto instead of full auto for it to be legal. That was a long time ago however. The idea was that a spring would bounce of the recoil of the gun and it would continuously set of the bullets (direct impingement I believe) but he added a stopper of sort for it to be semi-auto.

Yeah, rifling is more complex. That said, a few of the homemade guns act like they have the accuracy rifling would give, so this is already a non-issue.

Crafting a crap full auto STEN/ Luty smg should be craftable with a book.

I guess the best thing to do is work on a gun crafting mod

[quote=“Funk, post:14, topic:10569”]Crafting a crap full auto STEN/ Luty smg should be craftable with a book.

I guess the best thing to do is work on a gun crafting mod[/quote]

Also what I originally planned, in a nutshell. I would’ve made it booklearned-only.

There is a mod focused on crafting various unrealistic weapons/components, but its focus is in re-implementing previously-removed recipes. It also includes recipes for “pipe SMGs” that had been around since Whale’s version, but were removed some time before I first started playing this game. They kinda show their age though, they clearly look like that they thought up by somebody who knows nothing about how firearms work.

Hey, guys. Just dropping off a few excerpts from my collection of manuals. Two for home-built submachine guns, one for a 10/22 conversion (I’m not sure if the 10/22 can take an autofire mechanism as it is, I think it’s pistols only), and one with a few gunpowder recipes (because I miss craftable, useful gunpowder). Enjoy. I’ve got more, but I don’t really want to do an info-dump. (I’ve also got Sten blueprints, but nothing on the actual machining of it, which I think is what Kevin was looking for, Random.)

If the link doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll just directly link stuff.

Manuals

Yesss, examples for the example god, sources for the source throne.

As for machining it, I’d thought this was already demonstrated to be feasible. Actually yeah, as…ahah, Chezzo demonstrated.

This has been a thing Kevin’s been disregarding since literally the first PR where the Sten became a thing: http://www.mediafire.com/view/5v4852yage8d8c5

The major sticking points here are the need for a powered source of metal sawing, but a hacksaw could possibly be used at the expense of making things far more time-consuming. Even then, I think we HAVE a battery-powered source of metal sawing, so this is a non-issue.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:17, topic:10569”]Yesss, examples for the example god, sources for the source throne.

As for machining it, I’d thought this was already demonstrated to be feasible. Actually yeah, as…ahah, Chezzo demonstrated.

This has been a thing Kevin’s been disregarding since literally the first PR where the Sten became a thing: http://www.mediafire.com/view/5v4852yage8d8c5

The major sticking points here are the need for a powered source of metal sawing, but a hacksaw could possibly be used at the expense of making things far more time-consuming. Even then, I think we HAVE a battery-powered source of metal sawing, so this is a non-issue.[/quote]

We have a circular saw, would that work? There are also chainsaws, but I imagine that would be extremely unwieldy and dangerous. …In Cata spirit!?

Circular saw most likely, that’s meant to be

Between that and the cordless drill item, we have everything we need to make a Sten in-game.

I do wish some of the other devs would weigh in on this. Far as I can recall, Kevin has been the only major dev offering his opinion on the idea, unless one of the others commented and I didn’t pay attention. @_@

I personally don’t ever have any necessity to craft a gun in-game, since they’re decently common unless you have item spawns low. But it seems like a cool feature, and totally appropriate if we also implement stuff like… say, the rock in a sock. Adding more things with niche uses is definitely a cool thing, I just wouldn’t use it personally.