Ability to disassemble guns

I’d like to be able to disassemble guns for pipes, scrap and such. It’d solve a lot of the “Too many guns” problems. Here’d be an example:

{ "type" : "recipe", "result": "example_gun", "id_suffix": "uncraft", "category": "CC_NONCRAFT", "difficulty": 0, "time": 1500, "reversible": true, "autolearn": false, "tools": [ [ [ "screwdriver", -1 ], [ "toolset", -1 ] ] ], "components": [ [ [ "scrap", 3 ] ], [ [ "chunk_plastic", 5 ] ], [ [ "pipe", 1 ] ], [ [ "clockworks", 1 ] ] ]

This is a great idea.

Why would you actually do that though, especially if you could sell it to an Npc instead?

Also perhaps they should give a low quality conversion kit when disassembled.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:3, topic:5477”]Why would you actually do that though, especially if you could sell it to an Npc instead?

Also perhaps they should give a low quality conversion kit when disassembled.[/quote]
USPs should give conversion kits for each other.

Or how about gun parts, and make guns craftable with the proper parts, equipment, and skill. Lots and lots of skill.

A lot of items in general should be possible to disassemble, but guns are a fairly special case. Most guns use components that are hard to re-appropriate. A gun’s barrel is frequently no mere pipe, for instance, and in many cases a gun’s receiver is such a specially machined piece that you wouldn’t be able to make anything but a gun out of it unless you melt it down.

Which bring me to my take on the suggestion, which is quite more far-ranging.

Template items.

Take Dwarf Fortress. The current iteration of it has creatures that are made out of too many things to list - various tissues, organs, secretions, etc, etc. But it does not define “giant cave bat spleen” as a separate item, even though it will be made out of giant cave bat spleen tissue, and cooking it will make a prepared cave bat spleen - none of which are actually defined separately either. And when it bites you with its teeth, the data for the sharpness of the teeth is pulled from the bat’s own tooth tissue, even though it’s not actually defined as its own thing either.

What I mean is, as a way of avoiding a combinatorial explosion in .JSON definitions, Cataclysm could be using a system of template items.

Disassembling an AK47 would give an “AK47 receiver” under the “rifle receiver” template, an “AK47 barrel” under the “rifle barrel” template, and various small items that can be repurposed - wooden planks, some steel scrap, and a small spring. Disassembling an M4A1 would give an “M4A1 receiver” and a “M4A1 barrel”, but they’d still belong to their own templates, meaning that no matter how many rifles and assault rifles are disassembled into their own receivers and barrels, the number of actual item definitions does not increase - they are all “rifle receiver” and “rifle barrel”.

Moreover, the disassembly recipes should be folded into the items themselves, using the same system used by vehicle parts: "breaks_into" : [ {"item": "leather", "min": 0, "max": 1}, {"item": "scrap", "min": 1, "max": 2} ]

In this case the definition will look something like: "can_disassemble" : [ {"skills": 2, "mechanics": 3, "firearms": 1}, {"tools": 1, "TOOL_SCREWDRIVER" : 1}, {"time": 200}, {"item": "template_receiver_rifle", "name": "AK47 receiver", "material": "steel", "min": 1, "max": 1}, {"item": "template_barrel_long", "name": "AK47 barrel", "material": "steel", "min": 1, "max": 1}, {"item": "scrap", "material": "steel", "min": 1, "max": 2}, {"item": "scrap", "material": "wood", "min": 1, "max": 2}, {"item": "spring_small", "min": 1, "max": 1} ]

It’s a far more compact system than all the disassembly recipes.

One problem: This would make people able to disassemble guns and reassemble them for a full condition weapon.

Most barrels are interchangeable. So, a M4A1 would make a “5.56mm barrel”, and a AK47 would make a “7.62 barrel”. Same barrel with 7.62x51 rifles. Would also simplify this a lot.
Also, a M4 would make an “AR-15 automatic receiver”.

One problem: This would make people able to disassemble guns and reassemble them for a full condition weapon.[/quote]That they would… with the proper skill and equipment!

One problem: This would make people able to disassemble guns and reassemble them for a full condition weapon.[/quote]That they would… with the proper skill and equipment![/quote]
Assembling a gun is trivial. I can assemble a RK-62 with my eyes shut, and I’d say my IRL guns skill would be about… 3.
(RK-62 is a Finnish AK-47.)

I could probably disassemble most pistols, and the most experience I’ve had with guns is watching FPSRussia, paintballing, and a gun disassemble app on my phone.

Only problem with this is that it’d require a disassembly recipe for every single last one.

One problem: This would make people able to disassemble guns and reassemble them for a full condition weapon.[/quote]That they would… with the proper skill and equipment![/quote]
Tis how you clean them, disassemble and work the parts clean. The “Equipment” usually comes with the gun in one way or another.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:11, topic:5477”]Only problem with this is that it’d require a disassembly recipe for every single last one.[/quote]Not if the disassembly recipes cease to exist and are folded into the item definitions instead.

While you’re reworking the crafting system wanna fix the inventory system too? XD
[size=2pt](Though seriously if you wanna fix the crafting system game on man you’ll be loved. XD)[/size]

More inventory slots for all my “random gun” barrels?
Delicious.

BTW, you can cut-up some specific guns to get kevlar plate.
I don’t even.

If I could go on more “Python” classes, I could make this, since I completed all of the tasks that there are, so I’m free to do anything related to coding. :smiley:

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3842.msg55788#msg55788
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3212.15
It’s been shot down countless times before as well.

^^ umm, what? I say it require 7 or 8 fabrication AND mechanics or vice versa, would that be reasonable?

As the design document states, precision machinery and high-tech smithing/crafting is beyond what most players can do. This means a lot of gunsmithing would be out of their ability, as would modifying guns to a large extent.

If damage to guns was implemented, I’d support guns of the same type being able to be repaired by guns that are in a better state.

Re-assembling guns from scavenged parts could be possible, though. I think anyone given enough time and different parts could re-assemble a functioning firearm.

Also, following the definition in the design document, we really need to reconsider the pipe smg.

Re-assembling guns from scavenged parts could be possible, though. I think anyone given enough time and different parts could re-assemble a functioning firearm.

Also, following the definition in the design document, we really need to reconsider the pipe smg.[/quote]I’ve really been wondering about that. Blowback operation isn’t so simple that one could just bash a pipe into shape and make it work. I can see perhaps a DIY mitrailleuse, something like a hand-cranked belt-fed machinegun - an agar gun or a “pipe gatling gun” out of eight pipes and some clockwork, but not an SMG.