Draw Your Cataclysms

Artistic Doublepost Go!

Have a sneak preview of my next guide update on fungaloids:

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œJohn Candlebury, post:620, topic:441ā€]It looks well imho but if I really try to criticize stuff I could tell you that goat? legs donā€™t look much like that and the strange stuff in the left when the ā€œfrontā€ joins the background.

Other than that, the faceplate of the helm looks very good[/quote]

Thanks for critizicing! Yeah, maybe i need to start seeing pictures or some things. It is a Faun. Or a goat guy. The legs are, in fact, supposed to be thinner at the ā€œfeet zoneā€. It is, ideed, complicated. The background, and the grassy rock, were the parts that i did not wanted to draw, and it looks like it looked bad just because of Lazy Artist that does not want to draw bgs. :smiley:

Alsoā€¦ Holyā€¦ that thingā€¦ fungaloidsā€¦ what??? D:

Ever wondered why your character were paralyzed at the sight of amigara horrors?

Now I know the reason

And now I have to go draw some cute things

2 Likes

Dā€™awww, wee horrors :smiley:

As for the faun character, I think the colour and detailwork is strong, but the underlying anatomical structure needs more practice.

That will help you to give shape to the torso and shoulders, as well as address with the goat leg where the ā€˜heelā€™ seems to meld right into the lower leg without much structure being visible. Those areas of anatomy I think need a bit of work in this pic. Keep a close eye on torso length versus leg length, and overall length/height of the body - the legs seem a little short for the rest of the body, though this might just be due to the shape of the leg and not their actual length. (Sometimes itā€™s hard to spot the detail that needs tweaking. Donā€™t get discouraged!) Arm length is in that sweet spot I think. Nice pose.

There are tutorials on the web (DA is a surprisingly good source for simple little tutorials on things like dragon wings and goat legs!) that can help with this. Strong understanding of your characterā€™s ā€˜skeletonā€™ will aid fantastically in how far you can push poses in the future :smiley:

Great work, nice going with the non-lineart style (sharp detail versus soft fuzzy colours - I think you should practice this sharp versus soft, as you could really create some strong sense of deep atmosphere with your landscapes with this - try looking up ā€œJohn Avon landsā€ to see some crazy atmosphere play!), and I like your willingness to flesh out the picture in full colour with environment/background/light sources.

[quote=ā€œJohn Candlebury, post:621, topic:441ā€]Artistic Doublepost Go!

[/quote]
Cordyceps approach on fungal infected ants.
Itā€™s not just in the last of us.

[quote=ā€œMrnocamera, post:625, topic:441ā€][quote=ā€œJohn Candlebury, post:621, topic:441ā€]Artistic Doublepost Go!

[/quote]
Cordyceps approach on fungal infected ants.
Itā€™s not just in the last of us.[/quote]
Indeedā€¦

drawing of a CZ style pistolā€¦ lower quality due to not having a scannerā€¦ please excuse my webcam

Maybe Iā€™ll do another drawing with a reference, this was done from memory during class.

Iā€™m surprised you didnā€™t get caught.

College is nothing like highschool x_x with ~50+ people, the professor doesnā€™t care, and I took the picture after class.

During highschool, I was sent to detention more times that I care about for drawing.

Haha you got into the detention for drawing where you studied?

That is some harsh punishment, I mean how is it different from just not paying attention at all the profesor does like the other students in the room do

[quote=ā€œJohn Candlebury, post:630, topic:441ā€]Haha you got into the detention for drawing where you studied?

That is some harsh punishment, I mean how is it different from just not paying attention at all the profesor does like the other students in the room do[/quote]

I might pay more attention when the teacher does something other than teach straight from the book. Itā€™s like wasting a thousand bucks to have someone read to you from a $200 bookā€¦

[quote=ā€œDTF, post:3, topic:441ā€]

Sometimes, I feel bad using windows. Only sometimes.[/quote]

I just remembered when this thread started, and those without talent werenā€™t intimidated from posting a funny.

Seriously, as much as I love the sweet quality art too, some of the early ragecomics-esque stuff was DAMN FUNNY. I enjoy good situational humour. HAVE AT!

Iā€™m trying to pencil up a sort of character reference pic of my cata self - like the drunk one I did, butā€¦ sober. And with a pencil tool instead. And way more hours invested. I think Iā€™m overworking the pic, bleh. I overwork pieces too easily.

EDIT:

Whuslap. There are errors all over the place that Iā€™m mostly aware of because Iā€™ve made them a few times. Anatomical things, foreshortening things. Overall thoughā€¦ dear god Iā€™d forgotten how tediously slow I found digitally-emulated 4H pencils. From now on the pencilwork is gonna be on real paper, or for undersketch business before I lay down the ink. Until I have the time or commitment to train myself into a better work process, Iā€™m sticking to inkstuffs so I can at least see a picture through from beginning to end.

2 Likes

Dā€™awwwwww look at those little fish antlers.

More fungal stuff

A fungal boomer

Pure Fungaloids (that I am not completely happy with, actually has someone here any idea of how a fungaloid should look like?)

2 Likes

OMG I like that fungal boomer. Super spooky.

Bubbadoo: Now imagine tiny Hoss with a butcherā€™s knife :smiley:
(Donā€™t worry, he just likes cooking.)

These monster drawings are so cool I want to implement monster portrait display into the tiles version somehow. =3

Iā€™d avoid the toadstools myself - the fungaloids move about and sort of poof out their spores, and toadstools (agaric spore carriers) really donā€™t fit. There are plenty of non-toadstool designs to pick from, and most are more appropriate. (click to enlarge)

But even more appropriate might be pulling from the fungal families the in-game fungus is based on. Think Asocarps more than Toadstools.

Or even pull from some not quite fungal fruiting bodies

Also - Fungaloids have tentacles they use for moving around and slapping things! This is how Iā€™ve always seen the fungal towers, with these tentacles ringing the top (but giant, obviously):

Ultimately, what they really look like is open to interpretation and is probably a good deal more alien than any of the individual organisms above, but hopefully this will give you some awesome ideas.

1 Like

Whoah that is some good reference! Thank you!

Probably going to mix a lot of them and see what comes out

Posted an expanded version of that post in itā€™s own thread, since itā€™s a common question.

MS Paint on a windows 8 computer? Preposterous!

Yeahā€¦

Hand drawing with photos taken with a webcam because I want to be rubbish on the internet.