ChestHole Tileset

I tried the iso-version and the controls seem to be a bit confusing because they are rotated.
Would it be possible to auto-remap them if I choose the pack in the options menu?

Thanks so much, Loogie. You rule.

Egomassive: Want to contribute to this tileset!? I have so many tiles to do still!

Chaz: Thanks. This tileset does have a few mutations, and I do plan on adding more. That said, you can certainly add your own mutations. Just look up one of the mutations I did and change the values. Let me see it when it is done, maybe I’ll add it in.

WIndburns, Vehicles are crazy, but yeah I plan to redo them. Especially with the new manual tile rotation. I can’t wait to see what I can do.

Gergoric: Sure you can re map those controls. I don’t know how I could tie the remap to the tileset though.

Wowz I thought you had left! Hi man! How is the tileset going? d:

I have a few questions if you can answer. How is it that you did your overlays? I’m planning on making mine over an image of the player sprite, so that I know they fit. And about how long did it take you to make most of them? I hope I’m not pestering you too much here.

Edit: A final question, how do you ensure your tile.png (the grid full of all the tile images) is in the correct shape?

I’ll answer for him, if he pardons me. Exactly like you do them, that is the most comfortable way! As long that at the end you erase (or move, if you are using photoshop and used another layer for the model) the model, the it’s great!

The time spent doing them depends, of course, in the details you are aiming for. In this tileset which is really detailed yet cartoony, i guess it takes a while to feel content with an overlay. In mine, it’s just a minute. Choose how to make yours!

And how to ensure that it’s ok? Try it! d:

Had to comment on Chesthole, simply astounding tileset, ive never seen a tileset that actually changest with choices and items, Incredible!

Please keep in mind i havent played cataclysm in a year so Im not very thorough on all the different new tilesets.

Keep it up M8 cheers :slight_smile:

I’m not willing to help at this time. I’m very involved in other projects. However, I’ve been playing CDDA lately and I noticed some tiles I’ve already made that are missing. Since this set is heading towards a pixelated look these don’t really match, but there’s still plenty of stuff that looks like this in your set. I’ve scaled them down to 24 pixel squares. There is a boiled_egg in your set already, so this one is unnecessary. You have a Fungal Fighter too, but your’s is a mushroom when it’s supposed to be a plant. If you don’t want to use some of them, then don’t. It’s your tileset after all.

knife_hunting, warhammer*, paint_brush, f_indoor_plant_y, egg_bird, egg_reptile, boiled_egg;
maid_dress, dance_shoes, swim_fins, boots_western, knee_high_boots, wooden_barrel, fungal_fighter.
*The warhammer is filed under Generic.

Really love this tileset!

Thanks for the kind words everybody! Hey, here is the often asked for tileset at 32x32:

http://chezzo.com/cdda/ChestHoleTileset32.zip

Edit: I put this up here, thinking I could finish it before morning, but I only got about 1/3 of the way (in four hours!) done. I’m too tired to pixel now, I’m making mistakes. I’ll finish it tomorrow!)

cool stuff, definately going to to make sure tileset is included next time I update.

Made an account just to say Thank You for such a great tileset! I certainly don’t mind ASCII at all, but seeing the NPCs and Player Characters actually wearing what they have on is amazing.

I did have one question/request though. Is there anyway you could change the colors of the Food Trees (Apples, Apricot, Cherry)? I’m not really great with making tiles myself, but I can barely tell the special trees from normal ones. I’m partially colorblind so differentiating similar colors is difficult. I can tell the apples apart because they have big red dots, but peaches and apricots look so close to green for us with bad eyes lol. I know the trunks are slimmer, but it’s still not easy.

I thought maybe I could just edit the tileset image and paint/ps them to help my eyes out, but I don’t know if that’s how the tilesets even work. Kinda sad considering how much I play this, DF, and CoQ. I think part of the problem is fruit used to show up under the V menu, but now they don’t show up at all.

Thanks, c4bombexpert! That was really nice of you.

Sure I can fix those trees for ya. I think this has been asked of me before, but I didn’t know what they were asking. You got it, man. Thanks for letting me know.

I also made broken cars actually look broken! So that you can tell at a glance now too.

I don’t mind ASCII either, but I know for some it is like reading the matrix. Hey, I first cut my teeth (on Smart Kobold but then) CoQ too!

You can certainly do it that way you mentioned though, yeah. You can just save it right over tiles.png.

Another guy with bad eyes here. I like the tileset, but I had to stop using it, mostly because I couldn’t see the cursor when I was looking around.

Or is “cursor” really the right word? Anyway, when I press ‘x’ to look around, I couldn’t tell what tile I was looking at - especially once I lost track of where it was. That’s because the indication is so faint, especially against the brown of the ground.

No big deal. I just went back to MShock32. And I’m in my 60’s, so I’m not the typical player here. As I say, my eyes aren’t great (in fact, in the game, I can’t read the dark blue text against a black background at all), so above all else, I need a graphics pack that’s really clear, with obvious items.

No need to change anything for me. Just thought I’d comment. I do like your graphics, in general. Nice job!

This is a great tileset, but I just wish it was a bit bigger. I can’t see too well, and hence I miss out on a lot of the effort that you have put into it… :slight_smile:

Well, someone broke explosion animations for tiles, as I’ve seen it affects MShock, MShock Modded, yours, and likely all the others.

Basically we to add tile_config entries for “explosion_weak” and “explosion_medium” in addition to the old “explosion” sprite assignment. Was planning to PR a stopgap measure of re-using the sprite assignment for explosions so we can at least get non-buggy explosion animations until all tileset authors decide whether or not to sprite up correspondingly weaker sprtes to use.

Unless you’ve fixed this or intend to fix this for your own tileset? Figured I should ask permission before doing anything more than unfucking MShock Modded. ^^"

For now though, will wait before messing with your tileset, other tilesets are being fixed in https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/13251

Haha, you told me how to fix it here, and I told you how to fix it on github.

Ah, delicious recursive problem-solving.

hey! I love your tileset, but I’m curious if it would be possible to get to choose a different appearance for your character

How do I keep my tiles set upto date

Two and a half weeks ago, I checked my missing tiles, and I had nine hundred and seventy seven tiles missing. The last time I checked, it was somewhere in the eight hundreds. I felt like I had done nothing. Like I was pushing a boulder up a hill, and it was slipping down two steps for every step up I took. I felt like I was in a Paula Abdul song.

I got discouraged, and felt like quitting.

Instead, I punched that boulder in his stupid boulder face.

I am very proud to say that I did it. 18 days, 977 tiles. The boulder is on top of the hill.

I have no more missing tiles. Not one. From 10mm to zweihander, every single thing has a tile.

You can get it on my GitHub fork here or all ready to unzip into your gfx folder here or I submitted a pull request, I’m sure it will be in the experimental version soon.

In addition to that, I added broken cars, so wrecks look wrecked. If a car has broken seats, you can tell from a glance.

Thanks to zava for the eight tiles he contributed to the cause, dRbiG for the tunes, and Lorith, Esdian, Dodging_Rain, Gim, and everybody else in IRC for cheering me on, and the letter Y.

Still lots of missing worn and wielded, but they don’t show up on lists. I am on them though.

TL:DR; I made a tile for EVERYTHING. All your ASCII belongs to us.