ChestHole Tileset

I really don’t know what to say. I get really awkward and uncomfortable over compliments I’ll just go with ‘thank you’ (and I mean it).

When I made my first few posts I was expecting a bunch of ‘gtfo noob’ and to never post again; but Chezzo and others have been very encouraging, friendly and helpful.

I also want to clarify, as I couldn’t tell for sure from your post if you already knew, but Chezzo made and maintains this iso set (I’m not organized enough to actually maintain a set or four like he does). I just add tiles to it; and even most of those are just his work from the 32 set modified to be iso. I guess I did do most of the walls myself, though. Anything else I tried to make from scratch looked super obvious in-game (like ‘one of these things is not like the others’).

The downloadable version of the game doesn’t have all of the newest stuff from this set in it (I think it’s a month or so old) but as soon as Chezzo gets his hard drive I think he’ll be Githubbing (or whatever the verb for that would be) the set I sent him today.

Thank you for taking the time to register and post (I’m always super reluctant to register with yet another place).

Created this account after two years of lurking to say:

Agree!

Thanks, Kedryn. Digging the ISO.

Edit, after catching up on the whole thread:

Fantastic work, Kedryn. I’ve been kicking around the idea of banging out an ISO tileset, but just haven’t. Lazy, and busy, mostly. :smiley: But, seriously… you’re doing awesome work and I no longer need to considering making one, now. Thank you very much for your time and effort. I’ve been modding for a long time (I was one of the founders for the temple of elemental evil mod, “The Circle of Eight”, back when I used a different handle… and earlier projects), doing code and art, and I mention that to add weight to this comment: your work is top shelf!

Thanks again! I’ve been on a month or two break from C:DDA, but no longer thanks to you. :slight_smile:

-M

PS. Follow Chezzo’s advice, and put this stuff on your resume if it’s applicable to your career, man.[/quote]

Yeah, Kedryn’s additions are AMAZING. My hard drive comes tomorrow, and the first thing I am going to do is git those changes up, and the second thing I’m gonna do is play the snot out of the iso set on my twitch, and the third thing is to is fix all these problems you lovely ladies pointed out, and run and address the missing tiles checker.

I have been playing on my iPad, but it is not the same! That and I can’t figure out an iPad file manager to over wright my old tileset. If someone knows how, I would appreciate you letting me know.

Double post, but apparently someone thinks that everyone who plays this game has dirty carpets and lives in Warsaw.

You know, I put the counters in before I played this game very much, and didnt even know about dissembling things, but you made them so freaking COUNTERY! Like, there is no mistaking that for anything other than a counter. I feel like if you made them wood they could get mixed up with tables.

I think counters need to change, not the other way around.

Trees and bushes could use some love! I changed some to iso, but not others.

Two acct’s, both 31 year old males, one Polish, one Croatian. Probably the same guy. Can somebody contact Rivet?

[quote=“Chezzo, post:383, topic:8933”]Double post, but apparently someone thinks that everyone who plays this game has dirty carpets and lives in Warsaw.

You know, I put the counters in before I played this game very much, and didnt even know about dissembling things, but you made them so freaking COUNTERY! Like, there is no mistaking that for anything other than a counter. I feel like if you made them wood they could get mixed up with tables.

I think counters need to change, not the other way around.

Trees and bushes could use some love! I changed some to iso, but not others.[/quote]

I have tried to work on trees and bushes but I always end up with a blobby thing or a tangled wire looking thing. And representing a whole tree in a space the size of the corner of a car or the size of a table… I dunno. Even if they were bigger they’d block sight of entire tiles.

I do like the way the counters turned out but you did most of the work on them. All I did was guess how the sides were supposed to look based on the third picture.

I stumbled across them when I was switching in-game tileset to 32 and back to see the results of something I was modifying and thought they looked really cool so I had to try to bring them in.

Iso set, 32 set, 32 tile, iso tile (before downsizing)

I need to figure a better way to do things like this, though, so I don’t end up with something I have to shrink. Of course that would mean manual smoothing of some of the of the hard lines but at least it wouldn’t smooth the whole item.

And, lastly, at least with having to merge the book covers and their bodies into the foreground I was able to make the books match their covers. It took me forever to figure out what the weird thing below the floating book covers was.

Before, after

I wish the Polish carpet-man would go home. and take his impregnating carpet cleaner with him. And by ‘home’ I mean off of these forums not ‘back to his country’ like he’s not allowed to leave it or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Kedryn, post:385, topic:8933”]I have tried to work on trees and bushes but I always end up with a blobby thing or a tangled wire looking thing. And representing a whole tree in a space the size of the corner of a car or the size of a table… I dunno. Even if they were bigger they’d block sight of entire tiles.

I do like the way the counters turned out but you did most of the work on them. All I did was guess how the sides were supposed to look based on the third picture.[/quote]

Could you show some of your original work?

That’s what I’ve been trying to explain at times; I’m not an artist and I don’t have original work. Everything I make is made from pieces of something else, mostly from the things Chezzo has made, some from 6x8 chunks of pixels taken from photos of friends.

The things I made myself are the walls, the windows (stole the glass from Chezzo, though), the doors, the summer and autumn grass

Links to posts of things I did by myself:

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=9587.msg278445#msg278445 (rock wall looks better now)
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=9587.msg278748#msg278748
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=9587.msg278097#msg278097 (not the windows and the walls have been touched up since then)
http://i.imgur.com/kQnERJw.jpg (just the picket fence. And the more progress I make on other things the worse it looks to me)
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=9587.msg277263#msg277263 (the grass)

The fences look good; the concrete walls look good. You are actually doing a good job in several ways.

Thank you, I appreciate it; because I really have no idea what I’m doing. I post so many pictures so that I can make sure that I’m actually making something look better instead of worse. And if you see a default icon for something it’s usually because anything I tried to make for it was even uglier than a giant green comma.

This is the post I made that is the reason for me downloading the gimp. And those are the only things I intended to work on before uninstalling a program I never thought I’d use regularly as I’m not creative at all.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=9587.msg276503#msg276503

(Kind of a separate post but I didn’t want to make two posts in a row)

Which one of the handles on this hammer looks better? I think the third one but I could just be making it too blurry instead. All I did was copy the neighboring pixels over the black outline pixels at a transparency of 50%.

The hammer is Chezzo’s; I’m just trying to make the handle look more like a cylinder and the iso rendering seems to exaggerate the black outlines for some reason because they don’t look like this in 32 even though the tiles are identical.

While merging the books in game I want to say how in awe I am at Chezzo’s ability to convey so much information in so few pixels. I could look at those tiny little book covers and have a really good idea which kinds of books they were for.

It’s all about letting your imagination fill in the blanks!

I didn’t make half those tiles you are talking about, they are in lots of tilesets. Thanks though.

Gah, now I need a boot disk, and my chromebook wont make one without being in developer mode. I even have some apparently broken boot disks laying around that don’t work.

Screw this, I am buying a desktop.

My bad. I guess that’s the nature of creation projects like Cata; who made what gets lost in the maelstrom of things being made. Like Roman tiles being repurposed into new constructions after the fall of Roman England. But, you know, not a downward spiral leading to the Dark Ages or whatever.

[quote=“Chezzo, post:392, topic:8933”]Gah, now I need a boot disk, and my chromebook wont make one without being in developer mode. I even have some apparently broken boot disks laying around that don’t work.

Screw this, I am buying a desktop.[/quote]

I <3 my desktop even though my graphics card died and I had to fall back to the onboard.

I’m sorry your computer has started to get all uppity.

My first attempt at a shrub from scratch; a try for the Cornus sericea (Red Osier Dogwood). It almost doesn’t look awful.

I think if I work on the colors of the canes and throw some green ‘fog’ in between the leaves so you can’t see cleanly through the gaps, I can make it look decent. Oh, and more leaves and probably more cane shapes. Assembled from the twigs and leaves I made on the right.

Edit: I don’t know… but I think I accidentally figured out how to make a tree top.

Edit3: Oh look, I made a tree! And I totally did it on purpose! >.> <.<

Edit4: Blossoms are hard (for me). Looks better zoomed out more, but still.

Edit2: Posted about something that makes tents awful in the garage forum:

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=13196.0

My bad. I guess that's the nature of creation projects like Cata; who made what gets lost in the maelstrom of things being made. Like Roman tiles being repurposed into new constructions after the fall of Roman England. But, you know, not a downward spiral leading to the Dark Ages or whatever.

Haha, yeah, there has been some crazy awesome stuff in previous tilesets. Like, Thuzor showed me you can make broken vehicle parts. Speaking of, I really wish there was some way to get those wheels to render on top, so you could tell at a glance if they were broken.

Edit2: Posted about something that makes tents awful in the garage forum:

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=13196.0

Awesome, I made an issue on github about it. Tents and fences render incorrectly in isometric mode · Issue #18134 · CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA · GitHub

I love the new bushes, I bet they look great with my iso trees.

Desktop is coming tomorrow by Amazon drone! Can not freaking wait to play with this.

The only way currently is with a mod that changes their position to “on_top”. But then I don’t think they would act like wheels anymore and your vehicle might not move; also, you wouldn’t be able to place other “on_top” things in that spot.

Desktop is coming tomorrow by Amazon drone! Can not freaking wait to play with this.

Scary and cool.

Does the floor on the right look better or worse?

Since in the 32 version the lines of the floor were diagonal, there were light pixels in between dark pixels once it was rotated and shortened (which made the lines vertical and horizontal) for iso. I didn’t notice this until I manually ‘iso-fied’ it myself because I wanted to see why it didn’t look as good in iso as it did in 32.

The little diamonds surrounded by black are the tiles before I shrank them to fit; the one on the left is before I made the lines more solid. I also darkened that one wood piece that was lighter than the others because, in a repeating pattern, it really stands out (though I guess since floors don’t use multi-tile I could add multiple floors with different lightened wood pieces and have it randomly choose).

I wish I could make them seamless like the walls but to be seamless requires the tile to touch the edges of the grid and since the grid is square and the tiles are diamond shaped they end up overflowing onto the next tile (which doesn’t matter with walls unless you want rounded corners or some other interesting things. Okay, it matters.).

I didn’t really understand at the end which one was the new one and which one was the old one, but I’d go with the right one. It’s more smooth and the repeating pattern isn’t noticeable. Though somehow there is a visual effect that makes the pattern be different from the one on the left but if you inspect them they are the same. The wood slabs look smaller and that makes them look more intricate, and maybe someone could be bothered by that? Not me though.

My bad; the left one is the old one and the right one is the one I manually adjusted. It is weird how it changed the pattern even though it didn’t. Lines are weird that way, I’ve been learning recently.

[quote=“Kedryn, post:389, topic:8933”](Kind of a separate post but I didn’t want to make two posts in a row)

Which one of the handles on this hammer looks better? I think the third one but I could just be making it too blurry instead. All I did was copy the neighboring pixels over the black outline pixels at a transparency of 50%.

The hammer is Chezzo’s; I’m just trying to make the handle look more like a cylinder and the iso rendering seems to exaggerate the black outlines for some reason because they don’t look like this in 32 even though the tiles are identical.

[/quote]
I concur.

[quote=“Kedryn, post:397, topic:8933”]Does the floor on the right look better or worse?

Since in the 32 version the lines of the floor were diagonal, there were light pixels in between dark pixels once it was rotated and shortened (which made the lines vertical and horizontal) for iso. I didn’t notice this until I manually ‘iso-fied’ it myself because I wanted to see why it didn’t look as good in iso as it did in 32.

The little diamonds surrounded by black are the tiles before I shrank them to fit; the one on the left is before I made the lines more solid. I also darkened that one wood piece that was lighter than the others because, in a repeating pattern, it really stands out (though I guess since floors don’t use multi-tile I could add multiple floors with different lightened wood pieces and have it randomly choose).

I wish I could make them seamless like the walls but to be seamless requires the tile to touch the edges of the grid and since the grid is square and the tiles are diamond shaped they end up overflowing onto the next tile (which doesn’t matter with walls unless you want rounded corners or some other interesting things. Okay, it matters.).

[/quote]
The right one is best.