Cheer up! It's a Cataclysm out there. [WIPTiles 16x16]

The different shades mostly exist to stop you going blind from one single colour. The colour balance on them could be addressed though, I agree there.

I am aware I haven’t updated this lately, but that will change within the coming days. I ended up focusing too much on vehicles and it kind of burnt out some of my inspiration, which is why development slowed.

If anyone notices any missing tiles in their playthroughs, please tell me - I am currently going around all kinds of different places looking for bugs, after that I will start polishing current tiles to fit the theme better.

caltrops… I think are missing o.O

What’s a caltrop?

Added caltrops!
And fixed vehicles ( I hope. I really hope this time. )

Also some other minor tweaks and additions, something had broken which left the tilemap a little off center.

I have no clue what a caltrop is, I just know that they are apparently traps O.o

Caltrops are a 4-pronged spike that you throw out on the ground. They support themselves on three of the spikes, leaving the fourth pointing straight up.

When hostiles come through, they either slow down and avoid them, or step on the spikes, take damage, and (not yet) are Slowed thanks to having pointy metal jammed in their feet. Ought to rack up Pain if a player hits 'em.

By comparison, though, they’re fairly easy to sweep up and clear if you’ve a few minutes.

(You can achieve similar effects with d4s, Lego bricks, or jacks left laying around on a floor. :wink: )

The version as of http://ge.tt/2NvqhBw/v/0?c
is checked into the main branch, and is present in the latest experimental builds.

Sweet Kevin, cheers!

As for the calteops. I added them to the tileset after googling, so they’re in there. both the “on the ground” and the trap version. So woohoo. they needed a bg tile though, like many other things, so one version has grass and the other version asphalt. That is presumably a temporary necessity… if not I will try to make a workaround later.

Not really a full update…

But that has Pumpkins for heads on our brave male and female hero/ine. And a Question mark for footstep sounds.
I am aware a lot of animals are missing, and books have apparently been added aswell. I might work on this later this week if I have time, but as I am travelling those will be “No Tile” for a while.

There’s just too much new stuff for me to be able to work it all up in a night.

Just a little bump here!

I am back from my trip and have some time to work on this again, So I will be looking for new stuff to add in and particularly be fixing the few things I managed to write down before I left…

If anyone who has been playing with the tileset has anything they would like to mention to me; I.e missing tiles for new additions to the game, that would be great, as I am horrible at navigating github for new tile requirements.
Hoping to have another update up in a few days :slight_smile:

A whole bunch of additions and changes, Zombie hunters, Bears, Zombears, snakes, giant things, trees that have fallen over, and fixes to various issues that arose since the last update - Someone buggered up pits btw, so they tile twice!

I am aware a bunch of books are still missing tiles… about half I guess, but it takes so much just plain labour to add them to the json, so I will continue it later.

I definitely agree that they should never, ever, ever be all a single shade, but I think just bringing them in a few shades closer together would stop some bits looking like objects/things.

Also, I’m finding it very difficult to spot bodies/items scattered about the wilderness (like when you see groups of dead soldiers scattered about) - even if there are quite a few of them in the open, as the colour of their objects is too similar to the surrounding grass/bushes tiles. I know this is probably extremely hard to fix, but I just thought I’d mention it in case you had any ideas of how to differentiate them more.

I definitely agree that they should never, ever, ever be all a single shade, but I think just bringing them in a few shades closer together would stop some bits looking like objects/things.

Also, I’m finding it very difficult to spot bodies/items scattered about the wilderness (like when you see groups of dead soldiers scattered about) - even if there are quite a few of them in the open, as the colour of their objects is too similar to the surrounding grass/bushes tiles. I know this is probably extremely hard to fix, but I just thought I’d mention it in case you had any ideas of how to differentiate them more.[/quote]

Do they not display as corpses with piles of items? Because that had been my hope… the corpses have black outlines and big red splotches. But I have to admit items is pretty far down my list at the moment. Which is purely a result of development, new things are added and old things are changed so fast that right now I can only hope to keep up with additions.

Eventually though I want to make items categorized and easy to spot on any background.

Sometimes there are, but sometimes when there are no bodies (for whatever reason) and it’s pretty difficult to see as it’ll be green/purple commas on a green background. I’m sure as cata becomes more and more stable (and less wild changes are added) it’ll be easier to clamp down on stuff.

Again though, I’m loving the tileset! The vehicles are amazingly easy to work out what they are (and look great). By the way, are you updating in the experimental files or do we need to download separately off here?

Thank you! Vehicles were worked on a lot for that precise effect, so I am glad it is appreciated :slight_smile:

Currently I do not update the tileset to the experimental, though Perhaps in the future. I am not well versed in githubbery and don’t want to break anything :slight_smile:

New Release for Stable!:

All the monsters have now been added as of Stable 0.9 -This release should work for new experimentals aswell, though obviously may be missing things as things are added.

This project is on hold for now, I might come back at the next stable release and attempt to update it, but for now I want to focus on other projects and not have to worry about supporting the ever-changing experimental.

With the whole feature freeze and likely release of 0.A, I do hope this is updated soon!

Also, you might want to include the latest download on the first post :slight_smile:

Btw: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/6349
(tile fallbacks)