Cataclysm DDA 0.6 "Samedi" released

Samedi (Baron Samedi) is the Loa of the dead in Haitian Voodoo. You can find more on wikipedia.

Elaboration maybe?[/quote]
Yeah that’s a bit of a serious problem. :P[/quote]

Had Samedi crash on me. I was adding mutations via debug menu, looking to see if a typo had been corrected for one, but clicked the wrong one. So I figured, “Why not add purifier to my inventory and see what that’s all about?”

The game told me something along the lines of being told it had to close for some sort of unknown exception. This was while scrolling down through the list of game items to add. I was literally hovering over purifier on the options list at the time.
Hadn’t clicked any sort of confirmation before it crashed, just scrolling.

So, what you’re saying is the DEBUG menu causes a game-crashing BUG. Oh, the irony…

hey catchco - booted it up and it works fine for me! thanks - you’re a legend!

Awesome, now that I know how to do this I can do this a bit faster next time. The SDL build totally breaks atm, though. Not sure why. No big deal.

No luck. I never remember it being this bad with the spawn rates, it makes it unplayable for me.

I think everyone needs to learn how to be patient again. The game got a lot harder to start, but there are so many more cars. So far for this build i recommend a few things:

1. Save your character profile so you can quickly make new games.
  2. Travel with the NPC! The AI is rather annoying but they tank a lot of damage.
  3. Cars. find a car and mow down a few zombies, raid the houses and move on from there.

You can’t avoid a fight in this version. You will be fighting right from the start so plan accordingly.

MacBuild is up on the site now.

Seriously, how I craft bows?

Have 2 survival skill and 2 archery skill, and the recipe will show up in your crafting menu.

Then you simply get 2 pieces of string (easily obtained from windows) and a heavy stick (also easily obtained from windows).

Samedi (Baron Samedi) is the Loa of the dead in Haitian Voodoo. You can find more on wikipedia.[/quote]

He is also, for those that enjoy obscure trivia, the Father Of Saturday Night. This, to me, more than anything, proves that Vodun is perhaps one of the most flexible and also badass religions on the planet.

Hey, you know what? We should get some Loa in this game. All the Lovecraftian stuff is true, why not have a little spice from the south Pacific?

Can someone explain the sound meter thingy?
So far, it has always said 0. Never changed which is bad cause I was looking forward to finding out what it did.

I would likewise enjoy some insight on the sound meter! If it’s only partially implemented, that’s fine too.

Has yours ever changed from 0?

Negatory, but I am occasionally not the most attentive individual. I expect if it had changed, it’d grab my attention, so the fact it hasn’t is as poor an indicator as the lack of interesting things when I do attend to it.

Okay, its not just me then.
Well I died, time to update from 0.6-1 to 0.6-116

how stable are the nightly builds? are the nightly builds save game compatible with the next one? I have generally played the released versions. do you guys keep changelogs for the nightly builds?

not demanding just asking. having a hell of a time getting started in .6. my old strategy of start with archery ,butcher, go make a bow. hit town to find a pot or frying pan doesnt work too well here. self bow is weak, short bow i fail at and lose items (Im ok with this). so hard to get water. i died of thirst once on the first day. i did eat some strawberries, but i had thought you can go a couple of dies without actually dying of thirst.

1. Stable…ish. No guarantees, but I have rarely had issues with the bleeding edge builds being unstable.

2. Not necessarily. It’s one of the risks of playing the builds that aren’t officially sanctioned as “Stable.” I recently had to start a new game because one of the bleeding-edge builds broke my map. In general, it’s not a big issue. But if you want continuity and stability, don’t use the nightly builds. On that note, the Experimental Builds links on the homepage point to builds that are sometimes updated multiple times a day, not just nightly.

3. You can see what changes have been made here: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/commits/master

As for the problems starting out… maybe change up your tactics a little? If you’re dying of thirst and you haven’t found a means to purify water, I’d recommend looking for water sources in the following order: rain (requires a Funnel, if you were lucky enough to find one), river (slightly less chance of food poisoning I believe), then toilet. What’s a little food poisoning if you are going to die of dehydration otherwise?

This is the second time someone has mentioned dying of thirst on day 1, it’s not supposed to kill you that fast. Thirst increments once every 5 minutes, and doesn’t have a chance to kill you until it reaches 1200, so 2400 minutes = 1000 hours = 4+ days, so I’m not sure what’s happening.

Various things, like being extremely hot, having a cold, vomiting, and eating salty foods increase your thirst faster, but even if you’re scalding hot AND have a cold and the flu, it should only increase thirst rate by 50% or so, meaning you’d dehydrate to death on day 3 or so.

I’ll have to look into this.

Has lighting splintered wood always caused giant raging fires so that we die from the smoke while cooking?