Are cans supposed to be able to hold water?

version: 0.a experimental (6/2 bc1cecd)

Aluminum cans can be used to boil water, but can’t be used to store the clean water you just boiled in it. Is this intentional or an oversight?

If it’s an oversight I’m happy to submit a bug report on it, I just wanted to check that I’m not being stupid or something

Water can only be put in things that can be sealed, and you can’t reseal a can. You can use it for boiling, tough. It’s the same than, for example, a pot.

It always bothered me that bowls can be used to carry liquid, even though they aren’t sealed, and therefore go outside this rule.

It always bothered me that bowls can be used to carry liquid, even though they aren’t sealed, and therefore go outside this rule.[/quote]

I think (haven’t checked) that the bowls are handwaved as having a plastic lid or something; kinda like Tupperware. :-/ Sorry.

I can understand not being able to take the water with you without a lid (though this isn’t actually true IRL) but you should at least be able to drink it right away, right?

[quote=“xpyder, post:5, topic:6373”]I can understand not being able to take the water with you without a lid (though this isn’t actually true IRL) but you should at least be able to drink it right away, right?[/quote]That would make sense I think. Would definitely come in handy if/when desert type maps ever get implemented.

what about the canning machine I thought you could use that to seal cans with ?

Sure thing, PR a can of water item and recipe.

Orl we could just tape over the hole?
Does a unit of duct tape sound like the right cost to seal up a can?

do you seriously think a piece of tape is going to be worth a damn at keeping in a liquid?

Would require a lot more duct tape.

Hate to argue after all this time, but yes. Yes I believe a piece of duct tape could seal a can for purposes of keeping the liquid inside of it inside. Scotch tape, no, painters tape, maybe, duct tape… definitely yes, especially if I used two or more pieces. But yes one piece I would be confident.

Hate to argue after all this time, but yes. Yes I believe a piece of duct tape could seal a can for purposes of keeping the liquid inside of it inside. Scotch tape, no, painters tape, maybe, duct tape… definitely yes, especially if I used two or more pieces. But yes one piece I would be confident.[/quote]
I think this depends on what a ‘single unit’ of duct tape is, exactly. I’d say 5 units might be more reasonable, but I’m not sure what the actual units are, so it’s a bit arbitrary (200 units is an entire roll I guess? I don’t know how long a roll of duct tape is).

Presumably we’re just taping the lid back onto the can, but duct tape isn’t actually waterproof in the long term, so using multiple layers seems much more reasonable.
I haven’t actually tested this, but I would bet that a single layer of duct tape would leak after only a few minutes of jostling, if you use several layers then the water wouldn’t reach the adhesive attached to the can+lid itself, so it would last a lot longer. I still wouldn’t call it watertight, but in the short term it would work.

An alternative (that would take a lot more coding work) would be to make it so you can wield or drop a can/bowl/pot and have it retain liquids, the realism issue comes in when you stuff a pile of junk into your bag/pack and start jogging away, even a slightly loosened water bottle will leak water, much less an opened can.

I’m still more interested in being given the option to drink the water while sitting there even if you don’t have a container to store it in

Also keep in mind you can carry an upright container of water unlidded usually without spilling if the upper 20% is left empty and your even slightly careful with it. It’s not like you’re putting on duct tape and then holding it upside down or sideways the whole time

Go to pool of water
Examine it
If you don’t have a container, it would prompt you asking if you want to drink with your hands. If you do have a container, press ESC and it’ll ask you if you want to drink with your hands
???
Profit, in which case is a bad case of food poisoning.

I thought we were talking about pop top soda cans not like a tin can.

@Funsize, you completely supported my argument.

It’s not “why can’t you drink directly from a water source” it’s “Why can’t you drink directly from the container I just boiled the water in” (keeping in mind that you’re already clearly waiting for it to cool before pouring it into a plastic bottle)

You’re welcome.

Because coding. Most of the devs and contribiters make up their own code, IUSE’s, and a whole bunch of other stuff we can’t do or have the time to learn. You really want to drink of that can? Really? You code it. I’m sure someone will figure out a way to do it eventually – hell, it might be you – but right now I’m sure nothing is happening with something as minor as this.

@Funsize

As you pointed out in your previous post, coding difficulty isn’t the issue. You can already drink from your hands when examining a water source, and you can pour clean water on the ground instead of putting it into a container.

They just need to make it so if you don’t have a container (but do have the necessary tools) when trying to make clean water it asks you if you want to drink it immediately instead.

Go to pool of water
Examine it
If you don’t have a container, it would prompt you asking if you want to drink with your hands. If you do have a container, press ESC and it’ll ask you if you want to drink with your hands
???
Profit, in which case is a bad case of food poisoning.[/quote]

Nah, he meant drinking from container you are boiling the water in. Not drinking from toilets.