Android port (on hold)

Any way to make it bigger its really tiny compared to my screen also if your having trouble opening place the cata-dda folder in the core storage folder usually called sdcard or internal storage

That’s pretty sad.

Stickying this as a reference, even though it’s on hold.

I’ve played Nethack and Angband on Android and I’m eagerly waiting for this to get back underway…

my phone cannot run it because of the CPU:ARMV6。。。。。can you solve it?

Well damn, I just had to be a conformist and get an iPhone. Although in all honesty, I don’t believe that I could feel right with playing on a phone or tablet. There’s too many buttons. I’m still jelly android people. You could almost say I’m jelly bean…

or you could just use a bluetooth keyboard for android devices, they arent that expensive and would work like keyboard you would use on a pc or laptop.

Now, I know this thread seems quite dead, but may someone educate me on how to compile cataclysm with the android NDK?
I mean directly from the source, with as little modifications as possible, this build works terribly on my 1280x768 Nexus 4, the font scales simply terribly.

If I receive instructions, I may attempt to make simple useability modifications that don’t kill the experience for those who have even higher resolution screens, or those who have 1280x720 screens.

I’ve only ever used the NDK to compile an already prepared source code.
I have compiled a copy of cataclysm DDA in the past on a Nokia n900’s terminal using G++, the correct libs and a few tricks, all on-device, those builds (being ARM), would likely run using the android terminal, but as I don’t currently have my N900, and I’d prefer a launcher icon and such so I can at least launch the game, please enlighten me.

I’m not sure about the port in this thread, but TBH dealing with the NDK (and android’s broken libc) seems nightmarish. I’ve built the stock ncurses source with zero modifications using buildroot and static linking, and played in connectbot. (I have a full 5 row keyboard). Unfortunately the game is so blatntly wasteful of memory it becomes unplayable when I explore past a certian point, and any suggestion of reducing memory use is automatically rejected so i’ve given up.

However, a game on the nexus 4 would last longer before becoming unusable. The lack of a keyboard makes connectbot less than ideal, however an app using terminal function, bundled dejavu-sans-mono, and overlay buttons for keypresses would work great. TBH adding the latter to connectbot seems ideal, I already added an alternate font option and can post to github if you’re interested.

Connectbot has a shortcut provider btw.

That sounds great, is this an actual port, or does it require connection to a remote server to play, like an SSH server?

An SDL port would be ideal, see:
http://libsdl-android.sourceforge.net/

This is a quite amazing SDL port, I’d be happy to send you, or anyone willing to port it $20 or so over Paypal (more if I wasn’t poor), to port over and update for at least every major/stable cataclysm version to be released.

All it would require is basic overlay buttons for common actions, and preferably a customize-able GUI for choosing what theses are, where on screen they are, and the sizes of the buttons.

I’d be perfectly happy with a curses port, so long as it has the possibility of being playable on a touch screen, but an SDL port would allow fancy things like tiles, and my 1280x768 screen feels unloved. ;_;

It’s curses; sdl is a bit trickier, as the other port has shown. Unfortunately there’s no touchscreen; it’s a terminal app.

So long as it works, everything’s fine, I’m sure I can find a decent keyboard.

Please provide an apk and/Or compilation instructions if required, I’d definitely appreciate it.

Edit: I swear this post didn’t look so terrible on my phone. =\

Hello I have an android phone with a hardware qwerty keyboard. Is it possible to compile the game under the android without on-screen controls? Or maybe the game can be run through a terminal emulator?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the google translation.

Здравствуйте. У меня есть телефон на android с hardware qwerty клавиатурой. Можно ли скомпилировать игру под андроид без наэкранного управления? Или может быть игру можно запустить через эмулятор терминала?

Заранее спасибо. Извините за google перевод.

I use a Droid II Global with a slide out keyboard. On that the game crashes if you slide the keyboard in or out, but if the keyboard is out the OSK is not displayed.
The build here is old, I will look at merging this into the main code at some point so we at least can build an Android version, even if the interface isn’t that usable, and maybe we can chip away at the bugs.

Я использую Droid II Глобальное с выдвигающейся клавиатурой. На этом игра вылетает, если вы сдвиньте клавиатуру или, но если клавиатура находится вне ОСК не отображается.
Здесь строить стар, я буду смотреть на это слияние в основной код в какой-то момент так что мы по крайней мере можем построить версию Android, даже если интерфейс не то, что можно использовать, и возможно мы можем избавляться от ошибок.

I use Sony Ericsson XPERIA pro is also with a slide out keyboard. And I also see this problem.

The build here is old

I noticed that. :wink:

I will look at merging this into the main code at some point so we at least can build an Android version, even if the interface isn't that usable, and maybe we can chip away at the bugs.

If I understand correctly, this is great! I’ll look forward to a version for android.

Thanks for the answer!

У меня телефон Sony Ericsson XPERIA pro, тоже с клавиатурой на боковом слайдере. И у меня такая же проблема.

Я земетил :wink:

Если я правильно понял, то это прекрасно! С нетерпением буду ждать версии под android.

Спасибо за ответ!

Sorry, I should set my notification settings >.>

For current non SDL terminal build, using buildroot:

cd /opt wget -O- http://buildroot.uclibc.org/downloads/buildroot-2013.08.1.tar.gz |tar xvfz - ln -s buildroot-2013.08.1 buildroot cd buildroot make menuconfig
ensure the following are set:
[tt]Target Architecture (arm)
Target Architecture Variant (generic_arm)
Target ABI (EABI)
Build options -> prefer static libraries
Toolchain -> Enable WCHAR support
Toolchain -> Enable C++ support
Package -> Development tools -> gettext
Package -> Development tools -> libintl
Package -> Libraries -> Text and terminal -> ncurses[/tt]

make ncurses
cd /path/to/latest/cata-git

LDFLAGS='-L/opt/buildroot/output/staging/usr/lib -lncurses -lintl -static' make CROSS=/opt/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi-

This should produce a run-on-virtually-any-arm-based-device-cataclysm™, but you’ll want a copy of
/opt/buildroot/output/staging/usr/share/terminfo/
(only s/screen, x/xterm, v/vt100 and the most common stuff).
Putting stripped terminfo in cata’s data/ directoryworks. Simply run with

TERM=screen TERMINFO=./data/terminfo ./cataclysm

[quote=“AtomicDryad, post:76, topic:1726”]Sorry, I should set my notification settings >.>

For current non SDL terminal build, using buildroot:

…[/quote]
Is there any chance you could look over those instructions again AtomicDryad?
The version of buildroot you point to doesn’t really sync up to the instructions; a couple of options (libintl, generic_arm) have been depreciated.
I’ll be trying again with an older version at some point, but it’d be nice to know specifically what you ended up doing.

I knew my samsung stratosphere’s slideout keyboard had a purpose!

anybody can share native binary? i have motorola milestone with keyboard and i prefer to play in terminal emulator

Mmmmph! Come back from the dead! I had a break in awhile ago and my PC went bye-bye. All I have available is my Galaxy S2 for my gaming fix, and probably gonna be that way for a loong time…