Android port (on hold)

Sorry, have to get it tested by someone else. I don’t have a clue right now.
“error in parsing the package” sounds like it got wrong android version, but since yours is high than me, it doesn’t seem to be a problem…

Or could it because your system doesn’t accept an app that is not from known app store or with a debug key signed?

This port ideal is dumb and you shouldn’t do it!

runs away crying because he doesn’t have an Android phone

[quote=“utunnels, post:35, topic:1726”]I think the biggest problem is a playable layout with touch screen only. I tried landscape view before, standard DDA size (640x400) leaves only a strip at the bottom, which can be used to place a menu. There are also some spaces on left or right side of the screen, which can be used to add buttons or just extend the display area to 800x400.

I’ve tried to place a keyboard (semi-transparent) on top of the playable area in photoshop, unfortuantely, it is very disturbing because the game interface is text based. I think I’ll abandon this idea.[/quote]

Agreed, I think a workable layout is crucial, but it’s only going to get us so far due to the limitations on the number of characters we can fit on screen and the number of characters we use for input.

I’ve been playing with the port on and off, and it’s working great other than the wasted space and input difficulties (not utunnels’ fault of course). I can only imagine it would be even worse once you progress to later in the game and start having a large inventory, but it’s far more playable than I would have thought. It does make me plan out my moves a lot more than I would on a PC due to avoiding wasted keypresses.

Ideas:
For anything where you’re selecting from a list of items (construction, crafting menus, inventory) we could pop up a native android menu with scrolling support, etc in order to make the selection instead of relying on our hand-drawn popup menus. The good news is we’re migrating to a unified menu interface right now, and we might be able to have just a little adjustment to the backend to make this happen.

We had someone take a stab at a menu interface a while back, and with this we might want to resurrect that and polish it up, this (along with some adjustments to the default keymap) could go a long way toward reducing the number of keypresses required to perform most tasks. If I’d known at the time that an Android port was feasable, we probably would have worked that in then.

I think shifting the status parts of the display to the bottom of the screen so the map can take the full width of the screen might be relatively easy, the offsets are hardcoded, but they’re at least properly generating curses windows, so there’s a chance that we can swap them out to be derived from some master variables and make them adjustable. Portrait layout might even bbe preffereable for some desktop users.

Popup windows might be more difficult, then again the new popup backend might save our bacon there too, alowing the change to be made in a single place.

Even with the map taking up the full width of the screen, the view will be more restricted than what we’ve become accustomed to, so streamlining view shifting and look around behavior will be nice. I’m thinking both touch-based view shifting and heuristic-based view shifting would be nice. By heuristic-based I mean the thing I’ve been planning to add for months and months where the view automatically shifts in the direction you’re walking or driving. I’ve kinda let that feature slide since it’s not a pain point any more with my screen being big enough to display the entire view area. Adding “snap to bla” to the look around command would be nice to let you get a quick look at points of interest around you. The V menu is a lifesaver for looking at nearby items.

P.S. I highly recommend Hacker’s Keyboard as an onscreen keyboard for playing, it has quick access to many more keys than is usual for Android OSKs.

[quote=“Clayton, post:42, topic:1726”]This port ideal is dumb and you shouldn’t do it!

runs away crying because he doesn’t have an Android phone[/quote]

Well look on the bright side with this being on android/smart phones we get more publicity and a bigger fan base. Personally I hate to play games on hand-held devices that are touch screen or too many buttons to press :l

I’m genuinely jealous of you who have an smartphone capable of playing Cata on the go!

And true, bigger fanbase is always good.

[quote=“utunnels, post:41, topic:1726”]Sorry, have to get it tested by someone else. I don’t have a clue right now.
“error in parsing the package” sounds like it got wrong android version, but since yours is high than me, it doesn’t seem to be a problem…

Or could it because your system doesn’t accept an app that is not from known app store or with a debug key signed?[/quote]

Hmm, no it’s not the latter, because i just verified that i can install apk’s from unknown sources, i am supposed to be executing the debug apk yes? and i appreciate the work you do, having an android port is a great boon in the development of this game (not hinging at all on the fact that i only have android devices with me at the moment whistles)

Sirbad, I sent you a PM. If you don’t have trouble installing that, then there must be something I changed recently that causes the problem.

Moderation activity: trolling, off-topic post removed. LazyCat, you have been warned before to keep your trolling out of threads other than your MGS thread.

Damn, beat me to it. Offending posts have been deleted, LazyCat has been warned before and has received a one-week ban from posting.

Remember folks, don’t bother arguing with bad behaviour - report it, and keep on topic.

ohh i will try this version on me nexus the last one had graphical corruption.

Thanks

Doesn’t actually works to me, i downloaded the compiled file, i installed the .apk, put the folder in /mnt/sdcard, but when i try to start the game it crashes and I can’t see the screen :c
(sorry for my bad english)

So the folder is like this?

/mnt/sdcard/Cataclysm-DDA/
/mnt/sdcard/Cataclysm-DDA/data
/mnt/sdcard/Cataclysm-DDA/data/raw

In theory it should work if you have android 2.3.3 or above ( upon which SDL is built), but I only tested it on 4.0.3 (though someone with 4.1.2 reported it worked).

It should be a 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
EDIT: 2.3.6 is shown on the “Firmare version” screen.
RE-EDIT: It was an apk issue i guess, because i re installed it and it worked.
Great job :wink:
EDITSARENEVERENOUGH: Meh. Now it says to me something like
DEBUG: Warning! “’” asigned twice in the key map!
move_n is being ignored.
fix data/keymap.txt at your next chance!
Press spacebar…

It sounds like a file permission issue, which should not happen. LOL
Try delete keymap.txt (if any) and run again to see if it is fixed.

It is working now, thanks ;).
Let’s kill some Zeds.

Nice this version works for me.

the screen is small even on me 7" tablet but usable.
I have a bluetooth keyboard I can use so will have a look at testing it with that soon.

all so (I will probably get bitten for saying this) will tiles work with this I cant use ASCII I wish I could but I cant :(.

thanks again OP this is fantastic work BTW

This is awesome!

Every day I curse myself for getting an iPhone.

Hi all just wondering if there is any more work being done to this.

I cant wait for some one to make a tile set for the PC version of this great game and then hopefully convert it to work on android :slight_smile:

Not yet. I decided to wait for a bit longer.

My 4.3’’ screen doesn’t plays well. I tried stone soup that day and found even if it supports point and click control, the menus and tiles are just too tiny for my finger.