A special thanks (acid zombies)

I would like the thank whoever it was who added the “no acid zombies” mod to cataclysm. I was so sick of getting rid of them manually every time I went to get a new version of cataclysm. Copying the old raws over was not an option, as I noticed it caused bizarre issues.

Spitters were not a problem. Acidic zombies were alright. It was the caustic zombies. ALWAYS the caustic zombies. For some reason, the spawn rates on those bastards were just ridiculous. A good fourth or so of all the zombies I encountered were caustic zombies. The destructive potential in these goddamn things, combined with wandering hordes, made going into town a complete non-option, made base building a near impossible nightmare, and made constructing any kind of vehicle fairly difficult. Not because of the damage they dealt out, but because of the fact that they would always destroy whatever loot/parts I was trying to work with before killing me and melting all of my everything. If I did manage to get a base up and going, I would be lucky if it was a zombie hulk smashing my walls in. Usually, it was a caustic zombie destroying my entire stockpile, excluding glass, an spraying acid in a rapid shotgun barrage all over my character like some kind of deranged, acidic, sentient, rotary cannon.

In short, they weren’t fun. So, thank you to whoever added the optional mod to disable them.

If I’ve been a fool and this mod is very old and I’m only now noticing it, then this post will be fairly embarrassing as it suggests I never bothered to look.

Amusingly, acid destroying items has also been removed anyway, so they’re kinda nerfed now. :V

I’d just like to express my heartfelt opinion that corrosive zombies deserve to have all of their code printed out on a hundred or so pages and then burned at the stake before deleting all their code from the actual game. It’s not even that they’re that hard to kill, really–it’s the five and a half “acid sprays on you and burns like fucking hell” messages that you get every single turn of combat just make it utterly terrifying because every turn it seems like you’re about to die from the ten million hits it got and it really freaks me out guys these zombies just ain’t okay.

You do know it’s a survival/horror game, right? That’s exactly the response we want you to have :slight_smile:

The only thing more terrifying than hearing “Tekeli-li!” just on the other side of the door.

We all know the most terrifying monster in the game is the moose…so many a character lost…wolfs are close second.

The real terror is the humble beaver.

Well okay, it’s more like the monster with the highest aggression for its threat level, which is effectively negative.

Actually, I use a mod called the fantasy factions and it includes goblins, easy to kill but when you let your guard down they will kill you in a few turns.

As for corrosive zombies, I actually kill them from afar and use the acid they spill to kill other minsters along with an aux flamethrower. They do melt my shoes however but not anymore.

Oooh. I think I’ve heard of that mod, yus. I also recall linking the guy making it to my DF-themed professions mod, so dunno if he made use of that.

The only thing that bothers me is how tanky corrosive zombies are, they seem to have around the same amount of health as brutes which is kind of weird given that they are sacks of skin filled with acid.

Bears are a third in my opinion.

Do not tempt me to find some shoggoth-related rule 34. o3o

So, on a scale of 1 to 10, ten being the absolute fucking worst, how bad are those acid zombies? Obviously taking into consideration their spawn rate and such; if I don’t absolutely have to deal with them I won’t engage.

I’m considering moving to the latest experimental build from the stable one because I hear it has many fixes for annoying stuff, and I have a ranged character (archery) who has no problem dealing with spitters even without kiting. Was wondering how much of a threat these acid zombies would pose.

[quote=“KliPeH, post:14, topic:10774”]So, on a scale of 1 to 10, ten being the absolute fucking worst, how bad are those acid zombies? Obviously taking into consideration their spawn rate and such; if I don’t absolutely have to deal with them I won’t engage.

I’m considering moving to the latest experimental build from the stable one because I hear it has many fixes for annoying stuff, and I have a ranged character (archery) who has no problem dealing with spitters even without kiting. Was wondering how much of a threat these acid zombies would pose.[/quote]

Spitters are like you said, kite-able. Corrosive Zombies are tougher, and they drop acid when they’re hit. So if you can plink them off with your (cross-)bow/guns, then they’re reasonably undangerous, but they can still shoot acid at you and they will fuck your legs up big time. You’ll be crippled very fast, and if you’re not able to get to safety and create splints and just rest up, you’re in for a bad time.

Personally I would avoid them at all costs unless they’re on their own and you’ll be able to kill them at a distance.

Haven’t played the most recent experimental, ¿how are caustic zombies?, I imagine a smoker zombie expelling corrosive fumes enough to melt away an unarmored survivor.

Never actually run up against one. What experimental were they added in?

And we appreciate it, but acid enemies, much like the fungus, are just too damned tedious to deal with after a while if for different reasons. I do see the latest experimental has an acid protection rating, which is nice, and since they no longer destroy items that’s even better, but they get really, really tiresome to handle after the first few seasons.

The remove fungal creatures mod is also nice because they just fill entire map grids given free reign and as much as I love unlimited food/water/cooking oil, I just can’t stand them eating the processing power.

And we appreciate it, but acid enemies, much like the fungus, are just too damned tedious to deal with after a while if for different reasons. I do see the latest experimental has an acid protection rating, which is nice, and since they no longer destroy items that’s even better, but they get really, really tiresome to handle after the first few seasons.[/quote]

There isn’t much that’s “scary” about them. They are just annoying. I’m scared of hulks, thrillers, and shoggoths. I’m deeply annoyed by the massive hassle created by corrosive zombies. Now that item corrosion is out though, the only problem left is how numerous they are.

If you don’t think they’re scary, my reply obviously wasn’t intended for you :stuck_out_tongue:
If you consider acid zombies “solved” (you know exactly what to do to deal with them, but doing it isn’t fun), that’s a totally reasonable reason to turn them off.