A special thanks (acid zombies)

Creepy spooky real horror-wise, there are other things in the game to be scared of. But like any potentially hazardous enemy, they can be good for a surprise. :V

Back before I found my power armor, I was regularly coming back to base with green health in every body part except my legs, which were red because corrosive zombies were constantly spitting single-tile pools of acid on my square, which I had to stand in if I wanted to fight.

After playing a bit with the recent change to acid zombies, I gotta say that it’s not quite fun. Damage and danger wise they’re where they should be; difficult bastards where you got to know what you’re doing to not get badly hurt. On the other hand, the nerf they got where the acid no longer dissolves anything makes things a whole lot tedious. For one thing, if I have to butcher them, I gotta wait until the acid their corpse is marinating on is gone, which takes quite a while.

Personally, I don’t mind them destroying items on the ground. Even if it’s a rare item, well, that’s RNG for ya. I like that in exchange for destroying useless damaged clothing cluttering up the streets. So untidy. Plus, I used to have acid bombs in storage for the sole purpose of melting large amounts of corpses during a mass killing spree of Zs. Quick and easy.

Agreed. I like being able to loot all the things, but I enjoyed self-disposing zeds too. It’s really not a straight “this is the better way to handle it” answer, gameplay-wise.

However, realism wise…even if we assumed a mutated human being could produce acid of that potency, it’s inconsistent for an acid-immune creature to lose that immunity on death.

I hate to admit that my favorite thing about item-damaging acid is illogical, but…sadly, it is.

Any tips for dealing with corrosive Zs? It seems that every place I want to loot has one of them. Hotel? Check. Megastore? Check. Another side branch of the town? Check.

Help!

Guns are your best bet. There’s security vans everywhere with 4.6mm rounds so grab a UCP and you shouldn’t run short on ammo. Range doesn’t matter much as long as you’re beyond melee distance. If it gets acid on your tile get off it. If you stand in it your legs will melt.

Bows are silent, craftable, and made of easy to acquire components. Bows are your friend for dealing with acid zombies especially with the big nerf suppressors got (and rightly so, suppressing most firearms doesn’t make them whisper quiet). They also have ammo that can be recovered so you can train before going to shoot zombies in the face.

I find that my suit of basic power armor works really well against them.

Bows are silent, craftable, and made of easy to acquire components. Bows are your friend for dealing with acid zombies especially with the big nerf suppressors got (and rightly so, suppressing most firearms doesn’t make them whisper quiet). They also have ammo that can be recovered so you can train before going to shoot zombies in the face.[/quote] Killing my first Corrosive yesterday I found that my bow setup wasn’t very effective against them at all. At archery lvl 6 and marksmanship lvl 5, my modified Longbow (accuracy/dispersion modifiers mostly) did about 1-9 damage for each fletched arrow I shot at a distance of 5-10 tiles, and 9-13 damage for each arrow shot up close (1-3 tiles). Overall I spent ~45 arrows (included missing) trying to get rid of it, and it still brought both of my legs to half health after 2-3 hits.

Either I’m doing something wrong or my ranged setup isn’t as good as it used to be (Experimental #3850).

Yeah, but it’s power armor. You might as well say that a fully loaded shotgun works really well for a single zombie dog found in the fields.

It’s a risk, but reach weapons are okay-ish against them. You have to constantly move around and be one tile away and attack, but it’s not as dangerous as getting marinated by pools of acid standing next to them with normal melee weapons.

Perhaps scorpion style could be effective against them as well, as scorpion has a knockback attack that happens often - though you have to move towards them for follow up attacks.

I carry an Uzi 9mm just for the acid zombies. I raid labs with a control laptop for ammo.
No caustic zombies in my game though. Playing experimental.
The armor I use is the RM13 combat armor. I hardly activate it because the green night vision is annoying during daytime, not sure if it’s a “feature” in chesthole’s tileset or what.

[quote=“Murdath, post:31, topic:10774”]I carry an Uzi 9mm just for the acid zombies. I raid labs with a control laptop for ammo.
No caustic zombies in my game though. Playing experimental.
The armor I use is the RM13 combat armor. I hardly activate it because the green night vision is annoying during daytime, not sure if it’s a “feature” in chesthole’s tileset or what.

It’s a feature built into the game, and I seriously wish I could turn it off. Everything being grey when its night or I’m indoors is kinda…bleh.

Another thing that get acid zombies killed easy are Manhacks. I always keep one, I have to repair it from time to time tough.

I know that derails the thread a bit, but could you please expand on this idea a bit further? I never figured out how to repair and use broken manhacks properly, other than disassembling them for various parts; I hear they make for pretty good allies. How do you repair them? Can you craft them out of scratch, or revert the disassembling process/put them back together? Can you modify them? How many “pet” manhacks can you have simultaneously? What’s their health like - do they die as easily as they do when they encounter a real player, or do they magically get stronger against other mobs? How do you control them? Are there any other such “mechanical pets” (excluding turrets) you can repair/activate to help you deal with your enemies?

I know that derails the thread a bit, but could you please expand on this idea a bit further? I never figured out how to repair and use broken manhacks properly, other than disassembling them for various parts; I hear they make for pretty good allies. How do you repair them? Can you craft them out of scratch, or revert the disassembling process/put them back together? Can you modify them? How many “pet” manhacks can you have simultaneously? What’s their health like - do they die as easily as they do when they encounter a real player, or do they magically get stronger against other mobs? How do you control them? Are there any other such “mechanical pets” (excluding turrets) you can repair/activate to help you deal with your enemies?[/quote]
You can make them friendly with a control laptop or loot them from a zombie grenadier, what you need is inactive manhacks. Once deployed you can deactivate them by attempting to melee attack them once they are friendly, walking into the spot they are on, same with turrets. What I meant by repair was that manhacks will get damaged when hit, once you deactivate them you will see the damage in the same way other items damage is displayed. To repair them you just need soldering iron or the like.

Ooh, this sounds nifty.

Bows are silent, craftable, and made of easy to acquire components. Bows are your friend for dealing with acid zombies especially with the big nerf suppressors got (and rightly so, suppressing most firearms doesn’t make them whisper quiet). They also have ammo that can be recovered so you can train before going to shoot zombies in the face.[/quote] Killing my first Corrosive yesterday I found that my bow setup wasn’t very effective against them at all. At archery lvl 6 and marksmanship lvl 5, my modified Longbow (accuracy/dispersion modifiers mostly) did about 1-9 damage for each fletched arrow I shot at a distance of 5-10 tiles, and 9-13 damage for each arrow shot up close (1-3 tiles). Overall I spent ~45 arrows (included missing) trying to get rid of it, and it still brought both of my legs to half health after 2-3 hits.

Either I’m doing something wrong or my ranged setup isn’t as good as it used to be (Experimental #3850).[/quote]

No, corrosive zombies are just a hell of a lot tougher than spitter zombies. Firing a gun at them (unless it’s fuck huge) will take a lot of ammo and make just as much noise. The best way to deal with them is to just stuff them full of arrows from a distance. Heavy fletched arrows are better, metal arrows if you can make it happen are best.

I know that derails the thread a bit, but could you please expand on this idea a bit further? I never figured out how to repair and use broken manhacks properly, other than disassembling them for various parts; I hear they make for pretty good allies. How do you repair them? Can you craft them out of scratch, or revert the disassembling process/put them back together? Can you modify them? How many “pet” manhacks can you have simultaneously? What’s their health like - do they die as easily as they do when they encounter a real player, or do they magically get stronger against other mobs? How do you control them? Are there any other such “mechanical pets” (excluding turrets) you can repair/activate to help you deal with your enemies?[/quote]
You can make them friendly with a control laptop or loot them from a zombie grenadier, what you need is inactive manhacks. Once deployed you can deactivate them by attempting to melee attack them once they are friendly, walking into the spot they are on, same with turrets. What I meant by repair was that manhacks will get damaged when hit, once you deactivate them you will see the damage in the same way other items damage is displayed. To repair them you just need soldering iron or the like.[/quote]

On the special manhacks, I haven’t tried it yet now since I haven’t found a hackpro yet, but on an older experimental using the control laptop on the explosive carrying hacks causes them to explode.

Sometimes zombie grenadiers also carry inactive ones in their corpses that don’t get used even after they’ve run out of hacks to release. Best bet is to kill all the hacks it deploys, so they won’t do their death explosion that can damage items.

You can make them friendly with a control laptop or loot them from a zombie grenadier, what you need is inactive manhacks. Once deployed you can deactivate them by attempting to melee attack them once they are friendly, walking into the spot they are on, same with turrets. What I meant by repair was that manhacks will get damaged when hit, once you deactivate them you will see the damage in the same way other items damage is displayed. To repair them you just need soldering iron or the like.[/quote]

On the special manhacks, I haven’t tried it yet now since I haven’t found a hackpro yet, but on an older experimental using the control laptop on the explosive carrying hacks causes them to explode.

Sometimes zombie grenadiers also carry inactive ones in their corpses that don’t get used even after they’ve run out of hacks to release. Best bet is to kill all the hacks it deploys, so they won’t do their death explosion that can damage items.[/quote]
Grenadiers have live grenades when they die, so items get damaged anyway. They usually have 3 active grenades. Most items survive it though.

Sometimes zombie grenadiers also carry inactive ones in their corpses that don’t get used even after they’ve run out of hacks to release. Best bet is to kill all the hacks it deploys, so they won’t do their death explosion that can damage items.[/quote]
Grenadiers have live grenades when they die, so items get damaged anyway. They usually have 3 active grenades. Most items survive it though.[/quote]

Not unless you destroy all the hacks they release.