.6 new stuff

ok one thread for this. Post some of the stuff you have found in .6 that you like and don’t like. any info on new items/buildings will be cool. Will help new people get into it. I won’t have time to even look at this until next weekend.

Dislike - You can no longer raid houses on the outskirts of towns, they now hold zombies too.
Uber omega supreme Dislike - freaking. JABBERWOCKS.

Do like that zombies get up, caught me off guard the first couple of times, until i finally read the changes :smiley: A bit tedious though, to go to every corpse and to either smash it or butcher it though :confused:

Did 0.6 rebalance evac shelters? I’ve had the odd problem with them in the past (a polyp rampaging through one, or fungaloids surrounding one and having a million babies before dawn), but in this case I was quietly reading and a master zombie spawned outside the shelter. It’s day 3 and I’m thinking about hunting for a new home, because I haven’t found the kit to repair/board the broken window and I don’t want to wake up with a bear in my lap. :frowning:

Oh, em… siphoning is a cool addition. Although wrecks everywhere have somewhat nerfed the high-speed pipe bomb lifestyle I was using the gasoline for.

Also, arrows are shockingly light compared to what I remember. I’m definitely reaping the benefits of it, but it startles me to realize I’m carrying about triple the quantity of arrows I would’ve hauled in 0.4.

archers are now incredibly OP. i started as an archer with 10 strength, 8 dex, 10 int, 14 perception, the smoker proffesion, fast healer, night vision, fast reader, robust genetics, a point in surviaval and archery, and the traditional 11 points of meanigless disadvantagous traits, and ive cleared out a beehive and an entire town with no challenge so far.

[quote=“Aggrons_shell, post:2, topic:1913”]Dislike - You can no longer raid houses on the outskirts of towns, they now hold zombies too.
Uber omega supreme Dislike - freaking. JABBERWOCKS.[/quote]
When there is no danger, you are not ‘raiding’ anything, you’re just looting, and IMO risk-free high reward looting made the game pretty trivial if the RNG didn’t utterly ruin your spawn location.

As for jabberwocks, lets just say I’m glad I regularly find significant quantities of alcohol.
A bottle of gasoline+molotov remains the strongest combo in the game, barely edging out high level martial arts+archery (Which is arguably the best combo, as it’s infinitely sustainable).
This is (of course) ignoring the mobile motorized massacre machine, as that isn’t really a ‘combo’ so much as a ‘superweapon’.

To be honest my favorite thing about the recent update(s) was the switch to SDL on Windows, makes the game way more playable and less tedious.

I love how you can get any martial art you want now. I think they might need to cost more perk points though. Krav Maga is strong as heck.
Not a fan of the Jabberwock.
I found a solar powered wreck that was functioning and ready to go. I’m not sure if that’s relevant to this release but I hadn’t seen one before.
I love all the new craftable archery stuff too.

Leveling archery may be imbalanced… at level 5 you can craft metal arrow shafts out of scrap metal. I didn’t notice this until about level 8, and half a store full of smashed display cases got me up to level 11.

I don’t know if the late archery stuff was intended to be this powerful, but it’s intense. Reflex recursive bow + metal arrows (all rather cheap to craft) will OHKO turrets, wolf spiders, manhacks, zombie soldiers… Headshots are doing 180-210 damage. I let a Jabberwock get into roaring distance before opening fire, and he never touched me. The arrows are pretty durable as well (though it might be an illusion since I don’t need to use many of them).

[quote=“deatheven13, post:7, topic:1913”]I love how you can get any martial art you want now. I think they might need to cost more perk points though. Krav Maga is strong as heck.
Not a fan of the Jabberwock.
I found a solar powered wreck that was functioning and ready to go. I’m not sure if that’s relevant to this release but I hadn’t seen one before.
I love all the new craftable archery stuff too.[/quote]

i think the solar powered wreck was actualy supposed to spawn without fuel, but as it is solar powered it automaticly recharged.

I like the feed back on the archery stuff. If you guys have and suggestions on what you would like to see to fix it I’m all ears too.

you can balance archery by increasing fatigue from over use of archery. your arm gets tired. Have this effect lowered with higher strength (to some degree) and skill level. you can also make it harder to raise archery and at higher levels make it drop a little faster.

so you use archery too much in a short period of time you take on fatigue which slows you down and makes you less accurate. Need to stop using using the skill to lower fatigue. you could realistic do this with melee, but I’d save it for skills that are over powered for now. this will prevent you from being a total terminator.

I would also add more ways to raise morale. using the mp3 player really doesn’t help much even though people talk and talk about it. the effect is miniscule. It is a hassle to keep turning it off. (this should be automated. so you can keep it at 50). there should be other ways to raise morale. there is a very limited number now.

The mp3 player thing is a seperate issue, it just needs to be rebalanced such that the optimal use is leaving it on instead of the silly on/off thing in the first place.

My only real dislike would be that of solar-powered cars. I can’t have multiple panels on a vehicle tile that has storage, and they never seem to recharge.

Okay, please appreciate: my intention is not to say, “whaa nerf pl0x”. I only intend to develop context, so that the balance can be judged relative to other weapon choices. Maybe a katana with 11 cutting skill is just as powerful. Maybe a Remington 700 loading .30-06 AP with 11 rifle skill is. Maybe karate with 11 unarmed skill is - I really don’t know. Hell, scrap metal spikes on a quad will gib nearly everything… I just want archery to be “cool” rather than “overwhelmingly dominant strategy which renders most other stuff obsolete”, that’s all.

The arrow weight and volume certainly seems fantastical. Which might be fine - fun trumps realism. But with real arrows, you get about 2-3 per pound, depending on length and material.

The training from making metal shafts is probably too much. I would hazard a guess and say that all high-level crafting probably gives much more experience than low-level crafting, but metal shafts and arrowheads stand out as being among the only high-level crafts I have that I can readily spam. For reference, other close ones include concentrated acid (easily done if you have a funnel and a jerry can during acid rain - I believe this is new in 0.6 and also subject to rebalance), steel plating ( 8 lumps of steel, 100 batteries and takes 12 minutes) or high-end tailoring (materials are much more common now that Zeds have tattered clothing, however each craft takes HOURS instead of minutes).

The solution is probably increasing craft time for higher level archery bits (or possibly requiring fancier tools, like a welder or a compactor). After all it’s a bit suspect to say, “here’s a saw, a hammer and some smashed up pieces of a locker. Make ten smooth, straight arrows. You have five minutes.”

I’d also mildly suggest removing the secondary skill requirement from the self-bow and the wooden arrow shaft. Having survival secondary means that you cannot begin to do anything with archery until you have 0 archery skill and 1 survival skill. If that was intended however, more power.

V Or there’s that. Haha.

crafting arrows shouldn’t be archery. Just like crafting ammunition shouldn’t be firearms.

not sure what your trying to say, but high knowledge of archery will let you craft arrows much like high knowledge in firearms will let you craft ammo in real life.

I think he means that loading cartridges shouldn’t make you a better shot.

No, it’s a good point, firearms is strictly “gun handling”, and archery is strictly “bow handling”.

Being good at firing a bow confers no ability to make arrows, at best it may inform you as to what is desireable in an arrow, but not how to make it happen.

Possibly “mechanics”/“archery”.

The ammo recipes are “gun”/“mechanics” too, which is also wrong, they should be “mechanics”/“gun”.

This might overemphasize mechanics, if that gets out of hand we might need to see about breaking it into sub-skills.

We might need to take a closer look at what exactly survival means, butchery and foraging seem unquestionably correct, but need to figure out what else needs to be in there.

Is there a way to make crafting ammo/arrows just not give you skill, but still require skill levels?

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:18, topic:1913”]No, it’s a good point, firearms is strictly “gun handling”, and archery is strictly “bow handling”.

Being good at firing a bow confers no ability to make arrows, at best it may inform you as to what is desireable in an arrow, but not how to make it happen.

Possibly “mechanics”/“archery”.

The ammo recipes are “gun”/“mechanics” too, which is also wrong, they should be “mechanics”/“gun”.

This might overemphasize mechanics, if that gets out of hand we might need to see about breaking it into sub-skills.

We might need to take a closer look at what exactly survival means, butchery and foraging seem unquestionably correct, but need to figure out what else needs to be in there.[/quote]

I see yeah probably mechanics or a sub skill… mechanics is somewhat related though with all that tinkering around. also survival no matter how high a level you get doesn’t seem to remove tainted from meat (wrong description or bug?)

@ vache well that’s possible we just need to remove training from it.