.6 new stuff

Tainted meat refers to meat from zombies that is infected due to their zombism. Regardless of how good you are at butchering, I don’t see how you could ever remove that from the meat itself since it’s infused into ever cell (at least not without some sort of high-tech lab machine or whatnot).

Off to the issue tracker, then. Would it be possible for a good butchery-roll to reduce the effective age of the Meat, simulating removing Rotten, etc?

My favorite new addition is the ability to walk around in vehicles. Now I can make my MDB(Mobile Death Base)
Also the idea of driving at 100mph and leisurely stepping out of the drivers seat to cook/read/shoot shit/sleep is hilarious to me.

Tainted meat refers to meat from zombies that is infected due to their zombism. Regardless of how good you are at butchering, I don’t see how you could ever remove that from the meat itself since it’s infused into ever cell (at least not without some sort of high-tech lab machine or whatnot).[/quote]

Then you should probably change the in-game description of the Survival skill, for clarity. I, too, wondered how exactly one would go about de-tainting meat.

Your skill in wilderness survival. This helps you butcher meat from a corpse and craft various basic survival items. [b]High levels may allow you to remove poison from tainted meat.[/b] Also used for skinning corpses to acquire pelts.
If it's not even a planned feature, it should probably not be listed like that.

That said, I’m wondering how to repair plastic clothing (specifically, a military rucksack). The changelog notes that plastic is now a valid material for sewing… but the sewing kit still says “Your cut military rucksack is not made of cotton, wool, leather, or fur.” and I can’t figure out what else I might need to use the plastic chunks I’ve acquired.

Tainted meat refers to meat from zombies that is infected due to their zombism. Regardless of how good you are at butchering, I don’t see how you could ever remove that from the meat itself since it’s infused into ever cell (at least not without some sort of high-tech lab machine or whatnot).[/quote]

Then you should probably change the in-game description of the Survival skill, for clarity. I, too, wondered how exactly one would go about de-tainting meat.

Your skill in wilderness survival. This helps you butcher meat from a corpse and craft various basic survival items. [b]High levels may allow you to remove poison from tainted meat.[/b] Also used for skinning corpses to acquire pelts.
If it's not even a planned feature, it should probably not be listed like that.[/quote] I made an Issue of it...so hopefully it'll get resolved in dev shortly.

I think that’s the soldering iron you’re supposed to use for plastic & Kevlar.

so no one likes my idea of added fatigue when using a bow so you can’t be a terminater with it? as you use your bow you get tired and fatigue increases. this way you can’t mow down a whole town with it? Also, since its more powerful making it harder to train up (take longer) and a little quicker to degrade seems reasonable.

these can be phased in slowly so its not a huge change, they can also be added as an option so players can adjust as they see fit. Then we can see if we get a consensus on the boards over time to see what people like. Archery was really strong before this build. I think we can add small gradual changes to balance archery since its hard to balance stuff with out lots of people trying it.

I have not looked at the code. I’m not sure how big of a change it is to have archery work a little different from other skills.

i made an archery balance thread in the suggestions forum. My ideas dont seem to be real popular around here. :(, so please post what you think or if you have other ideas.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?action=post;board=6.0

I’m pretty sure there’s a medical/survival recipe to purify tainted meat with ammonia.

I forget what the exact requirement is, but I seem to remember having it as an option.

[quote=“youtoo, post:26, topic:1913”]so no one likes my idea of added fatigue when using a bow so you can’t be a terminater with it? as you use your bow you get tired and fatigue increases. this way you can’t mow down a whole town with it? Also, since its more powerful making it harder to train up (take longer) and a little quicker to degrade seems reasonable.

these can be phased in slowly so its not a huge change, they can also be added as an option so players can adjust as they see fit. Then we can see if we get a consensus on the boards over time to see what people like. Archery was really strong before this build. I think we can add small gradual changes to balance archery since its hard to balance stuff with out lots of people trying it.

I have not looked at the code. I’m not sure how big of a change it is to have archery work a little different from other skills.[/quote]

It could just be me, but even with high archery, I find martial arts useful because I can pull everything to me and kill them just as easily anyway, but without wasting ammo and the corpses are much closer to me for butchering.

I’m all in favor of a fatigue system, just a unified one instead of just for archery. It’ll probably be a while until that happens though.

how do you exit a vehicle now? i got murdered by a horde due to being stuck inside.

^ and choose ‘leave controls’ to leave the controls. Then you can freely move around in the vehicle or exit it.

fatigue when using a bow

I did archery (and hunting with a bow) for a few years and never found this to be a real problem. A common practice session would be an hour or so, and we’d only stop there because it didn’t suit our lifestyle to shoot much longer. People with a strong motivation (survival) would probably grow accustomed to more rigorous firing, which means the effects of fatigue might dissipate at higher levels like in Oblivion.

In my experience, fatigue was more influenced by length of the hunt, weight of gear, hustling to an advantageous shooting position, and so on. As to loss of accuracy, that seemed to have more to do with temperature, misjudging distance, distractions such as mosquitoes buzzing in your ears, small obstacles in the firing lane that you hadn’t noticed (usually twigs or bulky sleeves), and plain-old-fashioned trying to control the animal fear that rises in you when you realize that there’s 700lb of solidified angry and horny right over there that could outrun you and gore you to death without breaking a sweat. :wink:

i have taken down a swarm of zombies and fire 50 times in a few minutes. that wont be tiring? That wouldnt make your hands hurt if your not trained? it would take time to build up hand and arm strength. its also good for balance.

my .6 adventures. ok finally figured out how to get past the first day with changes.
– picked up martial arts/taekwondo to start. this saved me from having to carry a weapon early. grabbed a few rocks. killed rabbits and levelled my survival to 1 and my throwing
– made a bow. made fire hardened arrows. found a few corpses and got some items … got lucky and found 4 groups of corpses with nice supply of water to get me past the first day

– next important thing. stone pot. need 2 survival and one cooking. so continued to kill rabbits. butchered. most butches ruin meat at low levels. took ones i had and cooked them (needed pointy stick) to get my cooking to 1. then madea stone hammer and stone pot. so water now.

— night went to town. first priority is cloths with pockets and a jug to get water. got it. had my water and plastic bottles from corpses.

then took off from there.

I was lucky to find the clean water. i died of thirst the first day in one game. i think that is too fast to die of thirst. Not sure how much i like unarmed long term. once i get backpack etc… i can carry stuff and i dont do alot of damage with it. its also dangerous to level. best is probably to use a bow and let some mobs get close to you to level dodge and then plaster with bow. then work on unarmed and melee.

One thing that doesnt make sense since .5: archery trains firearms? uh… and it trains it alot. i got archery to 9 and fires armos to almost 6. i may have used my guns enough to get to 1. thats a bit too easy.

Changes I like:
– more complex bow stuff. like how you made plastic bags useful for fletching
– cant cook rotten food. bastards. my favorite scum technique. Suggestions: make rotten food leave the game if you cant use it. i dont like running to strawberries and such to see ‘rotten’ and it has no use.
– let us use the plastic bags to make fletching without having to ‘arm bag of potatoe chips’ and then ‘U’ to unload. that isnt real clear.
– some form of way to keep food longer. i know we have beef jerky, but what about a smoker? is there a way to make artificial cooling? such as vacuum seal food in a box and bury it ? dont know.

Some stuff i dont get:
– night vision: some times i can see farther at night than others when out in woods. huh? I didnt get the mutation to see farther. comes and goes. i dont see any lighting?
– one time in town i fought the zombie that affects vision after that i could see alot farther and mobs seemed to see me. i didnt see an affect?
– what is the white number next to the right of speed and below focus.

is this new: tried to use first aid.

your leg is broken, it needs surgical attention. uhhh… what do i do?

[quote=“youtoo, post:36, topic:1913”]is this new: tried to use first aid.

your leg is broken, it needs surgical attention. uhhh… what do i do?[/quote]

Leg at 0HP? There may or may not be craftable splints; failing those, you’ll need to find the eye-injector in a Hospital. Both give the limb back some HP, so natural healing can take over.

There are moon phases, so every so often there’ll me more light available at night than you’d expect. Full moon is like that.

fire 50 times in a few minutes. that wont be tiring?

It sounds like what you describe could be addressed by adding recoil to archery and/or increasing reload time. Or by introducing fumbling of arrows, similar to jamming of firearms. It would likely apply to melee weapons and CQC styles as well, since 50 swings of the broadsword inside of a “few minutes” is pushing the boundaries of the human body.

People here keep suggesting recoil to archery. When they say that it makes me think they have never fired a bow and arrow before. Recoil in guns is caused by the barrel of the gun restricting the flow of energy from the explosive launch of the bullet. The energy needs somewhere to go. Arrows do not have an explosive launch, and do not have a barrel to restrict the movement of the kinetic energy. Recoil would make zero sense.

If arrows need to be nerfed, then my suggestion would be to make 1 turn be to shoot, and 1 turn be to reload.

what does dispersion mean when you look at a range weapon?

As far as bows go, yeah people who know a lot about bows would be helpful, but I think we should tune toward the ‘fun factor’. Though I like it when guys who have used them talk about it. As far as bows go, the longbow in particular would be tiring. Google ‘brittish longbow’ or ‘welsh longbow’. I doubt a bow in our game would want to be exactly like these bows. Those bows were as tall as a man and had 3 foot arrows. They were made for punching through platemail armor. I really do think if you use a bow over and over again (like you do in this game) your arm would get tired quickly if you were not trained and your hand would get chaffed and sore to the point where you would have trouble moving it the next day. So with training it would get better.

about my broken leg and leg split. made one. didn’t seem to do anything, but slow me down. not familiar with the ‘eye injector’ in hospitals. I raided one and didn’t see it. saw some computer terminals, but my computers are not high enough. Im going to post this in bugs. I don’t know if it is one or if I don’t know what im doing. I figured it would be easier for the coders to spot if I put it there.

btw, anyone find a use for human blood? I pick of vaccinators in games and get blood, but cant figure out a use for it. I think I ate the blood once and did not pick up any new traits