Z-levels

Uhh…not sure if this is even the right forum section for this thread, but…

Perusing these forums and the Github, I’ve been hearing a lot about z-levels - there’s an “experimental z-levels buildings” mod, and people always seem to be saying “…when we finally get proper z-level support!” and “if only we had proper z-levels!” and so on and so on.

Now, I don’t know the first thing about the code, but, uhh, having played the game obviously there are z-levels, and on the face of it they seem to work fine - it even seems like monsters will pursue you from one z-level to the next if you flee down the stairs.

So I wondered if somebody who knows what’s what could expand on what exactly the issues are currently and what are the planned/hoped for extra z-level functionality would consist of?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

The huge one is making the game run on every z-level at once, instead of just the one you are in. Monsters come up/down the stairs because of some hacky code that will probably be replaced eventually.

GitHub issue tracker set to “bounty issues”.

There you go. Long story short: the current implementation becomes totally unbelievable as soon as you move to a second story aboveground.

A more feature-centric explanation is it would allow climbing around on top of roofs, going though upper storey windows, sniping zombies from rooftops, running across rooftops, and the like.

this will be nice for looting in 16 size city

On that note it would also allow us to increase zombie population in cities fairly drastically since each level of a building could have zombies in it instead of just the ground floor.

It’s raining men zombies! Hallelujah, it’s raining zombies?