Winter garb for all professions

Im looking to add winter gear for all professions.

I would like to keep in mind circumstance, ability, and availibility of this gear.

I would, in all other cases, try to balance them to keep them the same cost as they are now.

I have not, however, played every profession, so Im asking for help, ideas, and opinions.

Starting gear? I mean, you can always choose the starting season. Or is that beside the point? Do you mean that all professions start with spring/summer gear, and it shouldn’t be like that, or that at least the player should be able to choose between winter gear and summer gear? I guess winter gear is equally painful in summer, as summer gear is in winter.

Perhaps all military professions could get an army winter jacket? Too much?

Cotton hat, wool scarf and wool gloves for all professions?

A matchbox to start fires?

I’m thinking that whatever clothes you might include, maybe not choose too durable clothes, so that the player would have to be careful in fights. So you might have a very warm but a fragile piece of clothing.

Is tailor a profession? A tailor might begin with knitting needles, or whatever supplies needed to craft warm clothing.

An EMT could start out with the tin foil “space blanket”.

A bottle of hard liqour for the homeless vagabond types to keep warm. Just for the novelty.

A sleeping bag might be interesting in a winter start scenario where you have only few other clothes - you’d have to stop and warm up every now and then until you find proper clothes.

I’m also curious what your intentions are, not every profession should have season-appropriate clothing.

I think it would make sense, just looking at myself, I dress differently when I go to work in the winter than I do in the summer. I won’t be carrying matches and a sleeping bag, but I will have a winter jacket, a knit cap, gloves, sturdier shoes or boots, and perhaps even a pair of long johns. This is just for walking to my car to get to the office. It would be reasonable for most (but not all) professions to have something similar as starting gear in the winter.

I agree, it seems pretty unreasonable that people are running around New England with their work gear, but not even a stocking cap. Maybe for a prisoner but pretty much everyone else should have at least enough to make it from their place of work to their car.

[quote=“Strife, post:5, topic:12058”]I agree, it seems pretty unreasonable that people are running around New England with their work gear, but not even a stocking cap. Maybe for a prisoner but pretty much everyone else should have at least enough to make it from their place of work to their car.[/quote]Nonwithstanding Shower Victims and the like, though.

My aim is to give professions that would have a reasonable chance to prepare clothing that makes them able to survive outside in the winter air for a length of time.

Im thinking that due to laziness and etal Id simple add cotton hats where applicable and things like that.

For instance, I habitually play a hobo profession, which is almost completely naked. No shoes, no hat, not even foot rags :
You dont expect me to believe that a person who has presumably been sleeping in a box or in a park or in an alley or even a tent outside just walks about barefoot?

Or that an 8 point bionic prepper isnt wearing enough to prevent them from taking cold damage when outside?

Looking over the list, I see a lot of chance for redundancy…

For the purposes of thinking about adding items only, I dont think its unreasonable to mentally assign a point value at which recieving an item for free is an unbalanced thing. For instance, athletes could be expected to wear under armor. Underarmor is a fairly reliable warmth provider. Should basketball player have under armor? Ive certainly seen them wearing both bball shorts and under armor together irl.

Should bionic prepper have a cotton/knit hat or gloves? At 8 points I dont see why not.

They should wear something reasonable, and totally independently of that we should assign them a point cost based on survivability. If you’re trying to consider both at the same time you’re likely to compromise on what’s reasonable for the profession.

Okay. Given that I would rather assume a player is taking a winter start than a spring start, that most professions didnt plan for an explicit apocolypse, that most professions arent equipped to deal with more than a 5 minute walk in the cold, and that in the interests of diversity they would take different generic items.

Ill assume that they were working or doing their profession when they were evacced, and Ill assume that quirky exceptions such as a prepper having a coil of rope, are because they picked it up because they know its usefullness.