Rebalanced Professions

A major re-balancing of professions, with the intent of making it so that every profession in the game is desirable. Won’t be terribly useful until the new profession code changes drop on the experimental, but hopefully that won’t take too long.

But those who are interested, feel free to suggest modifications or make changes.
Download here, replace your current data/json/professions.json with this file:
https://raw.github.com/GlyphGryph/Cataclysm-DDA/professions_changes/data/json/professions.json

The branch it’s on:

Are pocket knives and books of matches no longer being distributed at the evac shelter?

[size=8pt]Ah, this was a partial reason for why I create the poll about professions, hoping it could help in some way to show which ones were and were not used. Based on the votes and comments, a good many were not really used. Hopefully that will change.[/size]

I’m probably still gonna stick to shower victim… The nudity is becoming a signature… XD Oh wait…

Sure, some wouldnt be used alot of the time but the ones that arent are usually used for roleplay purposes. (Like Otaku o3o)

[size=8pt]That is just it though. There should be a good bit for gameplay and role play purposes I think. The previous amount of professions was a bit too much as little changed besides the name and maybe a couple of items. More diversity is nice but not to a point where everything seems generic.[/size]

Yeah, I doubt people play the ones like biker, or senior citizen, or hitchhiker (even though I love the reference) or student. People correct me if im wrong and you do play with those, they seem a tad redundant to me though.

[size=8pt]Agreed. Also some of the professions just seemed strange. Like football player. It’s been five days after the Cataclysm so why would you still be in full gear? I just tried using the JSON file but apparently I get a crash whenever I try to select handy man or survivalist. I can not choose those nor go below/above them. Hm.[/size]

[size=8pt]#Handyman
#Law Enforcement Officer
#Survivalist

These three professions seem to cause an Segmentation fault (core dumped) error and crash the game when trying to select them. I’m using Linux Console, version: 0.9-594-gf1e8ec7.[/size]

Should be fixed now!

[size=8pt]When starting a new game as the lab technician I get the following error: cataclysm: src/newcharacter.cpp:343: bool player::create(game*, character_type, std::string):

Assertion `Skill::skill(iter->first)’ failed. Aborted (core dumped)

I’ll go through all the professions and give my thoughts/suggestions/comments if they work or not.

Edit: I figured out what was wrong with the lab technician profession. Under skills it is written as computers instead of computer. This caused an error when trying to start a new game as it.[/size]

So will professions have the possibility of spawning in a place that’s not the shelter? I could see some interesting situations, such as getting a point or two from spawning in the middle of town or spawning in an office tower or public works or cabin or something.

Not at the moment IMO, but different starting places is planned.

i think you should add socks to all the professions i don’t know why they don’t have them in the first place.

Not wearing socks give -5 to moral because uncomfortable.

Yeah, I doubt people play the ones like biker, or senior citizen, or hitchhiker (even though I love the reference) or student. People correct me if im wrong and you do play with those, they seem a tad redundant to me though.[/quote]I always thought of student as a mandatory to the list professions, I mean you are a student if you don’t have a profession and you start with a backpack and some textbooks which is fine.

And please keep the shower victim as it is.

You joke, but that may well happen. (or maybe you aren’t joking, hard to tell sometimes)

Both. This gives incentive to wearing socks and a bit of humor dashed in.

Only if the Hippie profession gives a +5 for not wearing shoes.

Yes.